It's now "2018" with music gone from the MSFT Store how are buying your music?

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
With Groove music subscription gone and music gone from te store how are u buying hour's?

I loved Groove Music used my pass all the time to either download or buy music if I liked a song a lot I would buy it.

Since Amazon released the Amazon Music player App and I had bought music from Amazon in the past, I'll use the Amazon Music player to buy music.
I have a Spotify Subscription but the only thing I don't like about that. is u can't buy music from Spotify.
I don't know if I'll keep using Spotify I'm not impressed with it,s o being #1 I don't see how it is #1 .
I really miss Zune.
I still have and use my Zune HD 64GB player, I love that player and I own 3 Cars a 2015 Ford Escape SE with the MSFT SYNC and my Zune player works great with that I just plug in the Zune cord and comes right up on the screen with album art and artist and song info.
My other 2Cars are 2017 Ford Explorer Sport and a 2017 Ford Escape both with SYNC 3, I like the SYNC 3, but miss the Zune integration with MSFT SYNC.
So how are you getting your Music in 2018 with music gone from the Store?

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't buy. :)

Streaming on demand is the current way. Note: Even streaming options allow you to Download the albums you like onto the phone.

If you really want to buy, then just buy via say Amazon.com, download and load onto your Zune by coping the mp3 files.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
With Groove music subscription gone and music gone from te store how are u buying hour's?

I loved Groove Music used my pass all the time to either download or buy music if I liked a song a lot I would buy it.

Since Amazon released the Amazon Music player App and I had bought music from Amazon in the past, I'll use the Amazon Music player to buy music.
I have a Spotify Subscription but the only thing I don't like about that. is u can't buy music from Spotify.
I don't know if I'll keep using Spotify I'm not impressed with it,s o being #1 I don't see how it is #1 .
I really miss Zune.
I still have and use my Zune HD 64GB player, I love that player and I own 3 Cars a 2015 Ford Escape SE with the MSFT SYNC and my Zune player works great with that I just plug in the Zune cord and comes right up on the screen with album art and artist and song info.
My other 2Cars are 2017 Ford Explorer Sport and a 2017 Ford Escape both with SYNC 3, I like the SYNC 3, but miss the Zune integration with MSFT SYNC.

I use Spotify, and it feels like I went back in time with its limited options and crappy interface. Complaining about it or even raising concern about it, just make people in denial or those who clearly never used anything else to compare say how wrong I am.

That is why many people are asking Microsoft to implement Spotify SDK in Groove Music app, so that that it can play Spotify. Basically, same great app as before that Microsoft had, but the music is from Spotify so Microsoft doesn't need to deal with licensing and all that was very costly. In addition, all the hard work by the Groove team isn't put to waste. We need more people to push this under the feedback hub.

esbe118

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
That is why many people are asking Microsoft to implement Spotify SDK in Groove Music app, so that that it can play Spotify. Basically, same great app as before that Microsoft had, but the music is from Spotify so Microsoft doesn't need to deal with licensing and all that was very costly. In addition, all the hard work by the Groove team isn't put to waste. We need more people to push this under the feedback hub.
Don't waste your time. There is no Spotify SDK for UWP.

GlennEdwards

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
How are you buying music now that it's not available via Microsoft?

Easy. I don't buy music digitally, nor do I stream music from any subscription service. However what I do do, is buy physical CD's, rip them, and store them on both my PC and OneDrive Music locker.

So I can continue to use Groove the way I always have done, and have my entire music collection available on all my devices. The fact that you can't buy music on Groove anymore has made no difference to me at all.

Groove is a great music player, and as it streams from the OneDrive music locker is great for me.

Glenn

fs161200

May 10, 2014
Visit site

I really miss Zune.

Familiy sub on Spotify, don't buy, just stream/download. As mentioned elsewhere, Spotify really lacks the nice frontend from Groove App - truly wish they would enable Groove to connect to Spotify servers and allow me to keep using it for music listening.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow, figured we would get the two poles, just stream or only get CD. Personally I just use Amazon for mp3 files, they typically have the best deals and frequently run sales

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I really miss Zune.

How am I buying music? I'm not. I bought music with groove but now I just don't do it. I'm not that happy about Spotify either.
I might buy very particular things on Bandcamp or directly from the artists.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't buy unless I need to have access to a song offline, and I always used Amazon for that since they always used MP3. I only streamed Groove to support Microsoft. Now, I just use Amazon Prime Music.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I've tried Spotify and found it disappointing or worse unusable, Deezer is ok (better than Spotify) and I'm still waiting to see what iTunes is like on windows 10. Purchasing music via mp3 downloads from whoever is cheapest.
I'm still using Groove to play from onedrive and its excellent, I do wish MS had adopted the same model for music as it does for movies no subscription but the ability to rent or buy.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I buy from Amazon, Stream from Spotify, and listen to my personal collection through Groove.

This is the fragmented world I live in now. Thank you, Microsoft.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
If I really like an artist, I buy the physical CD, preferably from the artist directly. If not direct, then usually from Amazon.

For content I already own, I play in Groove. For everything else, I'm currently using Spotify. Its not great, but the family price is pretty good.

I definitely miss Groove streaming and album purchase. It was a one stop for everything Music. Now, I have to piece together multiple sources.

I'm not really angry at MS about it. They built something that really worked, but the public refused to buy in. There's this level of mistrust with anything MS puts out, no matter how good it is. Its like people don't want to let MS ever be dominant in anything ever again. Some of that is probably deserved...

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Different preferences for different people. I will always purchase music. Two reasons for me: 1) I want to fully support artists; 2) I never trust that any streaming service will always exist and thus allow me access to music I've downloaded.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I honestly haven't purchased any music since Microsoft killed that part of their Store. I remain, however, a faithful Groove app user. I got a bit angry reading Zac's article that Groove Music is 'dead and buried'. The ability to purchase is, of course, but the app itself works just fine. I don't use streaming services. I only stream from our OneDrive.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Napster. Yes, it's still a thing apparently (it's actually a rebranded Rhapsody which was one of the first streaming services that came into existence in the '00s). They have a true UWP app available on desktop AND mobile (which works with Continuum as well). I don't download music for local playback anymore, but I believe the app is capable of it (don't quote me on that). It's a reasonably good interface and catalogue, and costs as much as Groove did. I still use Groove to playback my owned music and just use Napster to stream.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The way I am doing it since the passing of Groove Music Pass, buying CD's that I like at swap meets or yard sales and then ripping them. I upload them to OneDrive and play on Groove on my work computer or on my XBOX at home. When out and about i play them on my iPhone since my Lumia 950 was becoming obsolete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster