Change verification method on outlook.com non-O365

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
So I've had 2FA on my old Hotmail.com/Outlook.com account for years now and it always sent me a text with the code. About a month ago something changed and now it wants to send me an email to my google account for verification instead. I can click a link and then tell it to use the text instead but this is not what I want considering I never changed it myself. I'm trying to see if I can change it back to the text being my default but am having issues figuring out how. Everything I can find online saying how to do it only applies to O365 of business/school accounts. My plain old free account doesn't seem to have all the same options that the O365 ones do and I cannot change the default verification method. Anybody know how to do this on a non-O365 account?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So I've had 2FA on my old Hotmail.com/Outlook.com account for years now and it always sent me a text with the code. About a month ago something changed and now it wants to send me an email to my google account for verification instead. I can click a link and then tell it to use the text instead but this is not what I want considering I never changed it myself. I'm trying to see if I can change it back to the text being my default but am having issues figuring out how. Everything I can find online saying how to do it only applies to O365 of business/school accounts. My plain old free account doesn't seem to have all the same options that the O365 ones do and I cannot change the default verification method. Anybody know how to do this on a non-O365 account?

Sounds, like you are able to login so try these steps:

1. At the top right hand corner you should see your initials in a circle.
  2. Click my microsoft account
  3. Advanced security options
  4. Get started
  5. You will see authentication methods under "ways to prove who you are".

Let us know how you get on.

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
TechFreak, when I go to the "Ways to prove who you are" section it has "enter my password", then "email a code", then finally "text a code". I'm assuming it is now doing those in order but there is no way to change that order and put text above email. I can delete the email but I shouldn't have to do that as that has been there for a decade and hasn't been getting used as the primary verification until recently. There is no flag for one to be the default or anything like that either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3