mittortz

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I already posted this for the Dell Venue Pro, but this phone is next in line. Anybody know anything about using the Omnia 7 on AT&T in the US? I want it so bad.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid I can't offer you any information on AT&T but I have been using the Omnia 7 for the past week here in the UK, and I've been incredibly pleased with it overall.

The one thing to say is that in this day 8GB really is not a lot of storage, you can get round it by storing most of your photos on Windows Live Skydrive (the cloud implementation is excellent on WP7) and by setting the Zune software to compress the bitrate of your MP3's as they go onto the device, but that still doesn't leave a tonne of room, so bear it in mind if you're a heavy music listener.

I've been posting some thoughts on the Phone and Operating System on my Twitter Feed @JayTBennett so feel free to follow me there and direct any questions you might have, I'll be happy to answer

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
It has the 1900 band but not the 850 band.. but from what I understand, ATT doesn't use the 1900 band much so it'll be pretty rare that you find a 3G signal.

Just get a Focus. It's considerably better looking in person that in online photos, the 3G will work properly, and you can expand the memory. The only reason to import an Omnia7 is because of visual taste, it has no technical advantage to the Focus.

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the focus is the same thing, but just not as cool looking.

I don't really understand though, the Omina 7 looks awesome.

Le sigh.

All I REALLY wanted was the device MS was demoing with for a year, but nobody made it.

shujaa

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It has the 1900 band but not the 850 band.. but from what I understand, ATT doesn't use the 1900 band much so it'll be pretty rare that you find a 3G signal.

Just get a Focus. It's considerably better looking in person that in online photos, the 3G will work properly, and you can expand the memory. The only reason to import an Omnia7 is because of visual taste, it has no technical advantage to the Focus.

Is there a map that shows 3G coverage by band on AT&T?

mittortz

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there a map that shows 3G coverage by band on AT&T?

I'm pretty sure the issue goes beyond simply finding the right 'band' on AT&T. From what I've researched, AT&T's 1900 band handles both uplink and downlink within the 1900 range of frequencies, whereas T-mobile/Euro carriers split uplink and downlink separately - one in the 1900 range and one in the 2100 range (not sure which is which). I don't know the specific science behind it, and only god knows the few people who do (I called so many tech support people and people who are in the business; no one knows how it works), but my take is that it's totally incompatible and not really worth investigating much further. Just have to wait for a different hardware version with different radios built in.

RLGL

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to burst the bubble, but...

Since AT&T was the "Preferred Partner" for WP7, they actually had first pick of any phone(s) they wanted. They were, however, limited to one exclusive device from each manufacturer.

For some inane reason, they picked the HTC Surround (not a bad phone, but it's selling point, the speaker, wasn't well executed), and they picked the focus over the Optima. Not that the focus is bad, they are almost identical pieces of hardware. As pointed out, though, the Omnia seems much more polished.

So, since AT&T already lost out on the Omnia as an exclusive, it was picked by the European carriers. They all use a different network than AT&T, so you can't simply buy an unlocked Omnia and slip in your sim, either.

Hope this helps.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I recommend you pick up the focus. The construction materials may not be on par with the Omnia 7 but it beats it on internal robustness.

SAMOLED > AMOLED
lighter
expandable memory (stick in a 32 GB card and you have a whopping 40 GB!)

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Works Fine

I've been using the Omnia 7 on AT&T, for the past 3 months and it works perfectly fine, if not faster than my brother's Focus. It's usually on 3G+, for the most part of the day, and out in the boondocks, away from the city, it reverts back to EDGE. Now if you try to use it on T-Mobile's network, then you will not have access to their 3G network(tried it on there, no luck at all).
Anyway, great phone, love it! Only phone I will replace it with is with a Nokia device, when it comes to the market.

lamewing

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Omnia 7 on AT&T - Agreed it works

I've been using the Omnia 7 on AT&T, for the past 3 months and it works perfectly fine, if not faster than my brother's Focus. It's usually on 3G+, for the most part of the day, and out in the boondocks, away from the city, it reverts back to EDGE. Now if you try to use it on T-Mobile's network, then you will not have access to their 3G network(tried it on there, no luck at all).
Anyway, great phone, love it! Only phone I will replace it with is with a Nokia device, when it comes to the market.

I also use an Omnia 7 in Fort Worth, TX. My signal jumps from 3G to 3G+, with the occasional drop to EDGE at home. I don't know what people are talking about when they say it won't work in the U.S.

Someone said there is no real advantage of this phone over the Focus. Well....this phone is built like a tank, unlike the plastic Focus. Good luck finding an SD card that will work correctly with the Focus. I love the easy to open rear battery door...no popping off a plastic back to change batteries.

So far, after 2 months, I love my Omnia 7.

robbg

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my Omnia 7 for about a month, and like others, have had no issues on AT&T...well, there were a few hiccups at first (no data connection or MMS) but both were immediately fixed by downloading the Samsung Network Profile app. So if you pick this phone up, do yourself a favor and download that right away!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
AT&Ts 3G service is pretty widespread. I've been all around and never had a problem getting 3G service.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I also use an Omnia 7 in Fort Worth, TX. My signal jumps from 3G to 3G+, with the occasional drop to EDGE at home. I don't know what people are talking about when they say it won't work in the U.S.

Someone said there is no real advantage of this phone over the Focus. Well....this phone is built like a tank, unlike the plastic Focus. Good luck finding an SD card that will work correctly with the Focus. I love the easy to open rear battery door...no popping off a plastic back to change batteries.

So far, after 2 months, I love my Omnia 7.
Welcome to the fold and always great to hear another happy user of the Omnia 7, cousin of the Focus

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my Omnia 7 for about a month, and like others, have had no issues on AT&T...well, there were a few hiccups at first (no data connection or MMS) but both were immediately fixed by downloading the Samsung Network Profile app. So if you pick this phone up, do yourself a favor and download that right away!

Welcome to the board!
I was lucky that my phone came preinstalled with the Network Profile app, so no issue at all.

robbg

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
It would've been nice if it was pre-installed on mine! I was ready to sell it, until I did a little digging around on the interwebs. Very satisfied with it thus far...just impatiently waiting for Mango....

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately my friend, It will not work with AT*T US 3g bands, neither will the dell venue :(

I feel your pain

I can't believe as an employee of At&t you would be giving out incorrect information... Please see the rest of the posts below of people with real-world experiance. *WILL NOT WORK* is completely different than *MAY NOT WORK IN AS MANY AREAS*

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my omnia7 today and I'm soooo glad I went for it. It also works great on att

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans