Locking Phone Kills Wi-Fi

Sooks

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This is driving me nuts. Every time i lock the phone, wi-fi is shut off and then reconnects when the screen is unlocked, for people who are cheap like me (on the 200 MB data plan) its worries me that any time my phone isnt on its using the network. ARG Other than that i FREAKING LOVE THIS PHONE !

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't noticed that yet, I'll check it out when I get home. My last phone would lose the wifi connection when I left my house (as it should), but when I came back it would fail to connect and I wouldn't notice until several minutes of 3G data had gone by - so far the focus seems to be doing much better, though I had to set DHCP back on my router because I couldn't figure out how to assign a static ip address in the phone's wifi settings.

jscher2000

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
This is driving me nuts. Every time i lock the phone, wi-fi is shut off and then reconnects when the screen is unlocked
Could this be a power/battery option? (It was an option on WinMo 6.1, but I know they've simplified everything so it might not be under user control in WP7.)

ProjMob_Chris

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Almost all modern OS's turn off the WiFi when you have your screen locked only to reconnect when you unlock your device. A usual exception is when your WiFi is active downloading or uploading when the screen is off.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Almost all modern OS's turn off the WiFi when you have your screen locked only to reconnect when you unlock your device. A usual exception is when your WiFi is active downloading or uploading when the screen is off.
Yup, this is my understanding as well.

Understand, WP7 is very aggressive at battery conservation. This would be one of those instances.

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm for me that he lock screen disconnects you. Then as soon as you unlock it hops back on again....it is not turning off the receiver though, just the connection, if that makes sense....

DavidM

Sooks

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The thing that makes me question if the reciever stays on, is my data usage is 10 MB of 3G, the thing is, I am NEVER off wi-fi, ever. So the only thing i can think of is when the screen is locked it actually KILLS wi-fi and defaults to 3G, charging me data.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm also annoyed by this behavior and I also have the 200mb plan (the ATT store rep tried as hard as she could to make me the get 2gb but I wasn't going for it. I responded to her ATT-endorsed schpiel with a lecture of my own and stood my ground). Anyways, here's what I do: Settings>Cellular>Turn Off Data Connection. I turn it back on when I don't have access to any wifi networks and NEED to use data for whatever reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre