Micro SD successes - 3 weeks or more

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
well if it ends up not working I'll just ship it back for a refund.

oh, the problem is that it may work for a few weeks and then crash. i just am forewarning you not to be convinced it is working fine after a few weeks, which could also push you out of your warranty period for the card.

BobHy

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Sandisk 8GB class 2 SD chip in the phone for just over 1 month now, no issues at all. I'd say that's a good one.

Not knowing about the SD kerfluffle, I went out and bought a Wintec filemate 16 GB class 10 chip today (music beginning to fill up the phone, but couldn't find any 32 GB at Fry's...), then went searching for instructions to get phone to see the new memory when I ran into the press release and KB article saying not to!
The good news is the new chip is working fine to start with, plenty fast in resyncing my music collection and an hour's dinking around. I'll update in a coupla weeks with longevity info.

--- 4 hours later ---
No need to wait, this Wintec chip did not work out. The phone worked fine until I did a power down (power key, "Goodby"). On next power up, phone was reset to default settings in one case and refused to boot up at all in next case (hung at black screen / "Samsung" screen forever). I think the power down is a good quick test, we don't always have to wait for weeks and weeks.

Last edited:

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Been using a Kingston 16GB Class 4 for about 3 weeks. No issues to report since I've put it in. So far, I've used 14GB of the combined 22.12GB of storage.

RLGL

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
It just so happens...

That there are already a few cards that are known to work with the Focus. Not so much a new or suprising listing, more just a confirmation of things you've seen hinted at:

SanDisk cards, Class 2 or 4, are known to work. Class 6 will probably work, but given the higher price, insignificant performance diff (a faster mSDHC doesn't speed up the rest of the phone, after all) and the difficulty in finding it, this has not been confirmed yet.

Kingston Class 4 cards work, Class 2 is iffy. Depends on the specific one you get.

Other brands have not been tested extensively, but most respectable one (PNY, Patriot, etc) should work with Class 4, and possibly with Class 2 and 6.

HOWEVER:
No 32gb card is known to work, as of yet. The reasons are complicated; the root cause of the mSDHC issues has to do with the random-access read/write speeds, as discussed earlier (the rumors of power-draw issues are incorrect). But, above 16gb, the architecture of the cards is different enough that, even with well-matched speeds, the cards cannot be used properly by the phone.

This doesn't mean no 32gb card does work, and this issue may be resolved over time, but currently, I wouldn't bother trying.

To Summarize:
Get a Class 4 card, 16gb or less, from a high-quality brand. SanDisk should work for Class 2, as will some Kingstons.

Also, if you look, Samsung and AT&T now offer a small number of cards listed specifically as being compatible with the Focus. They are SanDisk Class 2s. Sold for a premium from either site, as you may expect.

EvilB29

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
SanDisk 32gb Class 4

This card only lasted a day. I installed it with no issues, but within the first hour the phone rebooted. All of the data was still there so I didn't worry. The next morning, it rebooted again, but this time it wiped out all of the data and showed that there was only 15mb of memory.

Rob41664

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Using my 32Gb Sandisc I got from ATT since launch with no issues

I have rebooted numerous times by powering off and have had no issues. Right now I have 22GB used. Fingers crossed

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Sandisk 32gb Class 2 from amazon has reset twice on me, leaving me with ~15MB both times. Only fixed when a format is done via the phone. Card is going back for a refund.

Really frustrated about this. Moved from an iPhone 4 to Focus banking on the heavy use of Zune and this issue along with the stuttering music bug and lack of gapless playback are very disappointing and disheartening. Here's to hoping this is fixed in January, else I may have to dust out my iPhone again

Liftit

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
kingston 32gb class 4

I think people are jumping the gun here by thinking their cards work only after a few days. I personally have a 32GB Kingston class 4 in my phone and it does reset a lot. I also experience lag, especially in the Marketplace when trying to scroll down. I am going to have to go down to a 16GB I guess to get my phone to work better.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Been using a Samsung 16gb class 2 for the past 3 weeks. No resets, works great. Lots of similar positive comments on the xda forum as well.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

heterosethual

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Sandisk 16GB here.
Random resets? Once when I really noticed it and when it actually mattered. (Froze a little, reset).
Once or twice I pick up my phone and notice its back to the normal default screen.
Simple soft reset fixes it. Amazing phone either way.

ApexMan

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
So, I had my Focus for 28 days. I had started with a 32gb card and the graphics went crazy, I returned the phone and AT&T replaced and also warned me about the memory card causing problems. Now, I've had my replacement phone 2 months now and from reading here I see there is some rather safe cards than others, I had waited for this to get sorted out before buying a card.

I just bought and installed a Patriot 16gb class 4 card. A hard reset is powering down and pulling the battery? That's what I did to put the card in, and now I've powered it back up and checked the "about" setting to see if it sees the extra memory. It does not. Do I need to do a factory reset for it to see this memory??? I hope not because I'll lose apps I've downloaded, and a load of pictures.

ApexMan

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I see that I did do a soft reset, the only other type it seems is a factory one.

After a couple of resets the phone still doesn't see the new card. :eek:/

ApexMan

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded Zune sofwarer and was able to backup all my pictures and did a factory reset, I lost a number of apps and also all text messages but phone now sees 16gb card. Will run it and come back here to check in to post results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb