Can I use any micro-USB charger with this phone?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Focus a few days ago and love it. I've got a micro-USB charger from my old BlackBerry. Can I use that with this phone? I'm not sure if the voltage is the same or if it'll destroy the battery. Noob question, I know, but thanks!

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't own my focus just yet (come on AT&T you can ship it any day now) But I have skimmed over a few threads where people have said that the Focus is pretty picky when it comes to charging. So be careful~

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The Samsung charger's output is rated at 5 volts and 0.7 amps. I've got a charger that's 4.8 volts and 1 amp, and a few others around the same output. A higher amperage charger will charge the battery faster. Proof of this can be seen when using a computer's USB port to charge, which are typically rated at 0.5 amps and take forever to charge. I've used all different chargers with no ill effects that I can tell, but of course if there are any ill effects (ie shortened battery life), they won't be apparent until several hundred cycles later. Basically, keep the voltage the same (or very close) and the current (amperage) the same or higher and you should be fine. Voltage variances are more damaging than current variances, but I'm not going to worry about a 0.2 volt drop with one power supply that I use ~20% of the time.

Also, WP Central posted an article yesterday I think on ways to increase battery life. Following as many of those tips will also decrease charging time. I think a Seidio extended battery is in my future as the battery life of the device as I use it (location services on, WiFi/Bluetooth typically off, feedback on, get location results faster on, brightness medium,screen timeout five minutes, theme usually dark but lately light, Facebook synced, four email accounts synced), doesn't get me through a day without charging. But I'm so used to charging throughout the day anyways that it's not a huge issue. And two months into owning the device and I can't keep my hands off of it, still. Lighting that Super AMOLED screen eats battery like crazy.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a samsung focus

I also have a w Micro USB from Motoral,RIM and the Palm Pre , ive NEVER had problems charging ym phone .

some people have claimed that using non OM chargers freezes the screen , i havent had that issue yet!

the FIRST!!! time your gona charge your phone : make SURE you darin your battery to ZERO then give it a full 12 hour charge WITH THE ORIGINAL IN BOX CHARGER!!! ( just incase the Voltige int the same )

after that it really make NO diffrents to your battery . it might simply take longer to chage , or charge faster and not hold the charge as long , but none of that is permanent.

basicly , if you lost your OM charger dont worry about usign a diffrent one . it should still work .

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
@Rico I was surprised today how fast the battery on my phone drained today. Granted I had WiFi turned on even though I wasn't connected to a network, I've got the default automatic brightness set and I went into the People Hub a lot. That's the main reason I'm looking at a second charger.

Do I have to pay attention to the input voltage/amperage too? It looks like the output voltage/amperage is identical with my BlackBerry charger and the Focus, but the input amperage is lower on the BlackBerry charger.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
@Rico I was surprised today how fast the battery on my phone drained today. Granted I had WiFi turned on even though I wasn't connected to a network, I've got the default automatic brightness set and I went into the People Hub a lot. That's the main reason I'm looking at a second charger.

Do I have to pay attention to the input voltage/amperage too? It looks like the output voltage/amperage is identical with my BlackBerry charger and the Focus, but the input amperage is lower on the BlackBerry charger.

why dont u just buy a samsung charger ???? or simply get a Samsung USB to Micro USB for your PC.

PS: if WIFI is on and is not connected , it draisn your battery just as fast as if it was connected. so TURN IT OFF!! hehe :p : if wifi is on it is ALWAYS searching for a new wifi conection. hence the battery kill.

i turned off the auto brightness and changed it to Medium from FULL, i find it gave me a little mroe battery life as well.

keep it mind if you use your phone ALL day and are a heavy user . it might NOT last ALL day.

i use a Blackbery Charger at Home , and my Original FOCUS charger at work . NO problem :D

and P.S @ RICO , S-AMOLED = MORE battery life then the LCD on other phones. the 4inch screen is probly whats killing it lol ;)

avantige of Amoled: more battery life , flexible , more durable, true blacks , better viewing angle.

Disadvantige : less Screen LIFE , more prone to water damg , saturated colours (still looks better )

Last edited:

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
@Se1fcr3ation I don't feel like spending another $70 on new chargers if I don't have to. Good to know that you aren't having any issues with your BlackBerry charger, I think I'm going to give them a shot tomorrow when the battery gets low.

I was showing my phone off a lot today, so that probably helped drain the battery. A lot of people were like how come you didn't get an iPhone? Windows Phone 7 is better, that's why!

Yea the screen on the Samsung Focus is amazing. When you've got a black background, it's a true black, not a lit up gray. I like the saturated colors, I've got no complaints with them. Great phone!

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have about two dozen different Micro-USB charging solutions floating around my apartment. All of them charge the phone just fine, about half of them cause the touchscreen to become non-responsive while charging so I have to unplug it to actually USE the phone.. but no, no Micro-USB chargers will damage your phone in any way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos