Thoughs of the New Arrive

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not hating on MS. Thing is though they left out A LOT more on Win Phone 7 than Palm did with webOS at launch. Are you forgetting this is 2011? Palm was 2009... Microsoft should of made these things standard in the OS. Want me to add a few more to my list for WP7???
1. How about the fact that you cant have different volume levels for different things such as ringer volume,navigation volume,zune headphone volume ect... I had it on 30 for music and it stays on 30 for the ringer when I unplug the earbuds...
2. How about the fact that this particular HTC Arrive device only gets 75% as loud as a original Zune 30/80 or Zune HD?? Whats the point of having high end earbuds if you cant even turn them up. My Pre even got louder than the Arrive.
3. How about the fact that on Engadget.com my favorite website. That on mobile site and full version site you cannot even read the comments! Nothing shows up! Just the article. This has to be a IE problem. And where is a engadget app?
4. Also where is flash player??? webOS has it now! and android has for a while...

I could list more but you'll just call me a flamer. When you get spoiled by webOS and go to Android or any other OS you will always feel things are lacking. Just the way it is bud. If you never owned a Pre don't even talk. As you can see the other posters on here agree with me.

Woah there, thrasher, calm down. Let me tend to some of your comments on the list.

Volume issues can't be solely on windows phone, they are hardware manufactures problems. Also, dumb question, but did you take off the plastic covering the speaker? Also, I don't believe the pre had that extensive of volume control per app. Just a media volume bar and a notification volume bar (represented by either the music notes or the bell).

iPhone still doesn't have flash. The pre minus has flash IF YOU HACK IT ON THERE and its pretty terrible. Also, flash was supposed to be released for the pre MONTHS before it appeared. The only reason why its on Android and webos is because of the fact that they are both Linux and its easy to port over the code where as windows CE, the kernel for wp7, doesn't have a native flash client.

I love Engadget as well, but those are coding errors on their end. Since wp7 uses internet explorer Engadget as well as other websites will dumb down the site to the point of wap looking websites. This will change when ie9 comes to wp7. If we had user agent changing abilities I bet you that it would render fine. I worked for a little bit as a web designer and internet explorer is always a ***** to render (that is until ie9 came along with html5). I've had sites run on internet explorer run perfectly fine when I change the user agent to say it was Firefox, but once it detects is it resorts to backup mode. As for the app, that's also their end. My guess is that they aren't going to release one until there's more ground and interest on windows phone. That, and they probably are working on a slick wp7 implementation of it rather than copying over their Android, webos, and iPhone UI.

I agree that it is upsetting that Microsoft didn't have these from the beginning. My arrive is definitely louder than my pre, btw, so idk what's up with that. I love my pre, but it did get left in the dust. I'm sorry for your pain towards the arrive and the windows phone.

As for me, I don't think I'll go to something else for a while!
(PHEW! I typed this all on my arrive. Definitely got a good keyboard workout.)

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm not hating on MS. Thing is though they left out A LOT more on Win Phone 7 than Palm did with webOS at launch. Are you forgetting this is 2011? Palm was 2009... Microsoft should of made these things standard in the OS. Want me to add a few more to my list for WP7???
1. How about the fact that you cant have different volume levels for different things such as ringer volume,navigation volume,zune headphone volume ect... I had it on 30 for music and it stays on 30 for the ringer when I unplug the earbuds...
2. How about the fact that this particular HTC Arrive device only gets 75% as loud as a original Zune 30/80 or Zune HD?? Whats the point of having high end earbuds if you cant even turn them up. My Pre even got louder than the Arrive.
3. How about the fact that on Engadget.com my favorite website. That on mobile site and full version site you cannot even read the comments! Nothing shows up! Just the article. This has to be a IE problem. And where is a engadget app?
4. Also where is flash player??? webOS has it now! and android has for a while...

I could list more but you'll just call me a flamer. When you get spoiled by webOS and go to Android or any other OS you will always feel things are lacking. Just the way it is bud. If you never owned a Pre don't even talk. As you can see the other posters on here agree with me.

once again minor things. Use bt headphones they get way louder than the headphone jack. Can't really make those loud because of distortion. Engadget? That site is one of the most anti-MS sites there is and they probably coded it to where it doesn't display well in IE. All the sites I've visited displayed fine and worked just like they do on a desktop computer so stop b!tchin and whining over minor things they will be fixed soon and wp7 will overtake and defeat webOS if it already hasn't then it will get bb the iPhone and then Android. App development on wp7 is already faster than any other platform.

Edit- the IE does have a user agent switch in the settings. A switch that has existed since wm6.1.21051

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
once again minor things. Use bt headphones they get way louder than the headphone jack. Can't really make those loud because of distortion. Engadget? That site is one of the most anti-MS sites there is and they probably coded it to where it doesn't display well in IE. All the sites I've visited displayed fine and worked just like they do on a desktop computer so stop b!tchin and whining over minor things they will be fixed soon and wp7 will overtake and defeat webOS if it already hasn't then it will get bb the iPhone and then Android. App development on wp7 is already faster than any other platform.

Edit- the IE does have a user agent switch in the settings. A switch that has existed since wm6.1.21051

Sorry but bluetooth earbuds or headphones will always sound like crap compared to true audiophile products. I have Sennheiser IE8's and my Pre got much louder than the Arrive. There was also a hack to somehow make the gain on the Pre rise like 10db. Never tried that but I am sure it would of been nice.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Woah there, thrasher, calm down. Let me tend to some of your comments on the list.

Volume issues can't be solely on windows phone, they are hardware manufactures problems. Also, dumb question, but did you take off the plastic covering the speaker? Also, I don't believe the pre had that extensive of volume control per app. Just a media volume bar and a notification volume bar (represented by either the music notes or the bell).

iPhone still doesn't have flash. The pre minus has flash IF YOU HACK IT ON THERE and its pretty terrible. Also, flash was supposed to be released for the pre MONTHS before it appeared. The only reason why its on Android and webos is because of the fact that they are both Linux and its easy to port over the code where as windows CE, the kernel for wp7, doesn't have a native flash client.

I love Engadget as well, but those are coding errors on their end. Since wp7 uses internet explorer Engadget as well as other websites will dumb down the site to the point of wap looking websites. This will change when ie9 comes to wp7. If we had user agent changing abilities I bet you that it would render fine. I worked for a little bit as a web designer and internet explorer is always a ***** to render (that is until ie9 came along with html5). I've had sites run on internet explorer run perfectly fine when I change the user agent to say it was Firefox, but once it detects is it resorts to backup mode. As for the app, that's also their end. My guess is that they aren't going to release one until there's more ground and interest on windows phone. That, and they probably are working on a slick wp7 implementation of it rather than copying over their Android, webos, and iPhone UI.

I agree that it is upsetting that Microsoft didn't have these from the beginning. My arrive is definitely louder than my pre, btw, so idk what's up with that. I love my pre, but it did get left in the dust. I'm sorry for your pain towards the arrive and the windows phone.

As for me, I don't think I'll go to something else for a while!
(PHEW! I typed this all on my arrive. Definitely got a good keyboard workout.)

Of course I took the sticker off the back speakerphone grill. The Arrive has the 2nd best speakerphone I have ever heard only behind the Razr 2 from Motorola. What I was talking about was it not getting loud enough with the earbuds in. Its pretty soft compared to other Mp3 players on the market and even my old Pre. Also the Pre has separate volumes for ringer,navigation, systems sounds, and headphones. That is all I am asking for...

Last edited:

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
in IE lift up the bottom bar and select settings then there's an area that says website preference under that choose desktop version or u can also press start then settings and select IE from there. Works like a charm,best switch I've used so far.

aww, I thought you meant one that was editable so that it can masquerade as another browser.

And I definitely had Desktop Mode on my Moto Q which ran WinMo 5.0

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
My last phone was a BB Curve and this phone is night and day better. My only compliant is that since I use my phone as my alarm, I want to turn all my alerts off at night and still have my alarm go off super loud. It doesn't have that option at all. The first night I had my phone, I had to have the volume up so I can hear the alarm in the morning and I was woken up about 5-6 times from texts or emails. Not a huge deal, but kind of is if you use the phone as your alarm.

This is exactly what I am talking about with lack of multiple volume controls...

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what I am talking about with lack of multiple volume controls...

It doesn't bother me because on my palm pre it was a total pain in the ***. Yea it had two volume controls but the actual volume buttons never changed both settings on the fly, so situations when you had to turn the system volume down on the fly, you had to either do it on settings or hope the app your using let you turn the volume down.

I dunno how many times i switched the ringer off either and the volume stayed on causing many embarrassing moments.

Just saying, it doesn't bother me that much really, since im sure they'll patch it within the next few months.

Last edited:

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

Not sure what the issue is but I can read Engadget comments perfectly well. Using the actual website, not the mobile version. I can even change the sorting option from "newest first" to "oldest first".

-R

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Sorry but bluetooth earbuds or headphones will always sound like crap compared to true audiophile products. I have Sennheiser IE8's and my Pre got much louder than the Arrive. There was also a hack to somehow make the gain on the Pre rise like 10db. Never tried that but I am sure it would of been nice.

have u even tried any by headphones they sound great and I'm sure the bt2.1 headphones sound even better. There's no way an analog audio signal can sound better than a digital audio signal. Although the headset bundled with the arrive sounds pretty good being analog but that's probably due to the SRS settings.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what the issue is but I can read Engadget comments perfectly well. Using the actual website, not the mobile version. I can even change the sorting option from "newest first" to "oldest first".

-R

I guess I meant just the mobile site doesn't work. What is weird though is the FULL Site comment section is not the same comment system used on the desktop version. Like you cant view how many +'s people got on the Arrive full site version. Kinda weird...

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
have u even tried any by headphones they sound great and I'm sure the bt2.1 headphones sound even better. There's no way an analog audio signal can sound better than a digital audio signal. Although the headset bundled with the arrive sounds pretty good being analog but that's probably due to the SRS settings.

Are you kidding??? There is a reason why Bluetooth earbuds and cans aren't even mentioned on Hi-Fi forums or mags for AUDIOPHILE sound quality. You think Ultimate Ears,Westone,Sennheiser,Shure,Denon,AKG or any high end company even considers making bluetooth sets for HIGH end audiophile listening? Other companies make the bluetooth earbuds or cans for convenience for people who don't like to have a cord hanging down into their player. I would never think twice of owning anything bluetooth except for a bluetooth headset for a cell phone or PS3...

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Are you kidding??? There is a reason why Bluetooth earbuds and cans aren't even mentioned on Hi-Fi forums or mags for AUDIOPHILE sound quality. You think Ultimate Ears,Westone,Sennheiser,Shure,Denon,AKG or any high end company even considers making bluetooth sets for HIGH end audiophile listening? Other companies make the bluetooth earbuds or cans for convenience for people who don't like to have a cord hanging down into their player. I would never think twice of owning anything bluetooth except for a bluetooth headset for a cell phone or PS3...

alot of those audiophile headphones cost at least $100 but they have DSPs built in them which eliminate the inferiority of analog audio.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
alot of those audiophile headphones cost at least $100 but they have DSPs built in them which eliminate the inferiority of analog audio.

Point is when I spend $300+ on Sennheiser earbuds I expect to be able to turn them up to a high DB level. I was able to do it on my older ipods,zunes,sandisk,and cowon players so they shouldn't be restricting so heavily how loud devices go now. They may be doing it to keep people from going deaf but I think that should be the consumers choice and not theirs. The Iphone gets loud as hell with high end earbuds even if it doesn't sound that great. They use a cheap amp inside it compared to the Zune HD or Cowon players.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
hah, didn't exactly want to read how this thread turned into talk about audiophile headphones and IEMs, but I'll just add that most high end audio IEMs and headphones need decent amps regardless of their price. my $300 AKGs will only really sound good if I pair it with another $500 amp and dac. my $1100 IEMs still also could use a good amp rather than plugging it straight into those cheap amps inside any mp3 players/phones.

I suppose you guys can argue that for a phone that is over 400 dollars off contract, that it should have a decent dac/amp in it. but in the end, you're really going to just need to carry a portable $300-500 dollar amp with your phone if you want some good sound. ;p

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Point is when I spend $300+ on Sennheiser earbuds I expect to be able to turn them up to a high DB level. I was able to do it on my older ipods,zunes,sandisk,and cowon players so they shouldn't be restricting so heavily how loud devices go now. They may be doing it to keep people from going deaf but I think that should be the consumers choice and not theirs. The Iphone gets loud as hell with high end earbuds even if it doesn't sound that great. They use a cheap amp inside it compared to the Zune HD or Cowon players.

then I guess u must just be losing ur hearing if it isn't as loud. Those kind of headphones usually have good noise canceling tech in them so there should be no need to have to even turn the volume up I suppose u can still buy a headphone booster from radio shack or something.

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
just what are you guys arguing about at this point?

bottom line, Wp7 isnt perfect, and no OS or hardware comes great out the gate. While i find some, or maybe alot of features missing, ive been an early adopter of pretty my every Os and this is what comes with the territory. With that saying, WP7 has been stsraight up, my favorite OS to use from day one and the HTC arrive is an amazing phone. It could have been better but its very well made and will tide me over until either wp8 or any higher powered phones that come out after mango.

Last edited:

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
just what are you guys arguing about at this point?

bottom line, Wp7 isnt perfect, and no OS or hardware comes great out the gate. While i find some, or maybe alot of features missing, ive been an early adopter of pretty my every Os and this is what comes with the territory. With that saying, WP7 has been stsraight up, my favorite OS to use from day one and the HTC arrive is an amazing phone. It could have been better but its very well made and will tide me over until either wp8 or any higher powered phones that come out after mango.

agreed 100%. I am an early adaptor as well and this is by far the best initial os ive used. Its soo good, its better than most 'established' os's right out the gate

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
then I guess u must just be losing ur hearing if it isn't as loud. Those kind of headphones usually have good noise canceling tech in them so there should be no need to have to even turn the volume up I suppose u can still buy a headphone booster from radio shack or something.

Okay ya I am losing my hearing even though I have a Zune 30 right next to me to compare it to. I shouldn't need a $300 amp either for this device when older MP3 players did just fine with my ear buds...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb