Called Verizon Today

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I too was came away even more impressed with WP7. Bing Vision totally blew me away. That is one powerful tool!!! Also, when they played the demo for British Airways, on how you can see your seating in 3D, simply stunning!

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
msft seems to be the only one out there that cares about crafting a user experience and not just a pile of stuff.

mango can't come soon enough! :)

PZ+WP7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Mango Looks AWESOME!
cant wait!

freaking Engadget bashed it, like Verizon, all they care is about iCrap and droid

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i agree, why can't i find a tech blog that just reports things without adding their own bias into their "reporting"

i like gadgets in general, i just want to know what's new and what's going on! :(

Xplode22

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I love most of Gizmodo, but they seem very apple-centric. So their coverage today seemed to be summed up as: mango looks good, but it's mostly stuff that should already be there and since it's "months" away they might be behind again come the fall.

I think they totally missed what I thought was a good point of emphasis - MS wants the apps to seem like part of the OS and less just separate apps. I think that's a key point!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I agree. I love most of Gizmodo, but they seem very apple-centric. So their coverage today seemed to be summed up as: mango looks good, but it's mostly stuff that should already be there and since it's "months" away they might be behind again come the fall.

I think they totally missed what I thought was a good point of emphasis - MS wants the apps to seem like part of the OS and less just separate apps. I think that's a key point!

One thing - in the 7 months WP7 has been out no other OS has managed to advance in any significant way to widen the features gap. A few added features but nothing more than adding another app to open. With Mango adding functionality that further extends its uniqueness I cant see any of them matching what WP7 Mango will turn out to be.

swantonsoup

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
So lets start taking guesses...when does Mango hit our HTC Trophies on Verizon?

"Fall" was probably release to carriers, not push to devices.

I'm guessing November.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That's a generous assessment. I would actually say winter would be our time, say, late December. Heck, I would even say January knowing Verizon.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
On the way?

Hi guys. First I'd like to thank everyone for the updates on this phone. I have been following/lurking the forums and figured I would post.

Anyway, I was offered an early upgrade by Verizon and called Verizon Wireless Sales today requesting the HTC trophy. I told the sales agent it would not be avail until Thursday online. Despite this, they said they could take my order and told me I would have the phone by Thursday. They quoted the 199.99+tax price and stated it had $50 mailin rebate, so definitely the right deal. So, we'll see what happens...

Will update if I actually get the phone on thurs, it appears they might have them in stock for shipping already in some cases - I had a pretty bad experience with the last smartphone I had (LG fathom - on my 3rd replacement already in 7mos, I think the phones have defective design where the touchscreen becomes unresponsive over time due to overheating b/c that happened with each one along w/hotspots). In addition to the phone's unreliability, Verizon also terminated some services that were part of the original contract so they were willing to bump up the upgrade date a few months.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
They're not even done announcing all the features. Wait till they announce what's next with Zune and Windows Phone Live.

My guesses/wishlist:

Zune
* Smart DJ (already confirmed via rumor)
* Bing Music search (also confirmed by rumor)
* Music screensaver/visualization (confirmed by rumor)
* Zune Video Pass
* Video Marketplace on the phone
* Marketplace Picks, Mixview, and Zune Inbox
* Cloud playlists (hinted at by the Zune Insiders)
* Lyrics (Zune Pass exclusive)

Windows Phone Live
* Full phone backup, including contact details (custom picture, ringtone, etc.), game save data, text messages, call history, start screen tile arrangement
* Integration with Skydrive and/or Mesh (though I think they'll probably wait till the '8' release for this)
* Text from the web
* Voicemail from the web
* Install/push apps from the web

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. First I'd like to thank everyone for the updates on this phone. I have been following/lurking the forums and figured I would post.

Anyway, I was offered an early upgrade by Verizon and called Verizon Wireless Sales today requesting the HTC trophy. I told the sales agent it would not be avail until Thursday online. Despite this, they said they could take my order and told me I would have the phone by Thursday. They quoted the 199.99+tax price and stated it had $50 mailin rebate, so definitely the right deal. So, we'll see what happens...

Will update if I actually get the phone on thurs, it appears they might have them in stock for shipping already in some cases - I had a pretty bad experience with the last smartphone I had (LG fathom - on my 3rd replacement already in 7mos, I think the phones have defective design where the touchscreen becomes unresponsive over time due to overheating b/c that happened with each one along w/hotspots). In addition to the phone's unreliability, Verizon also terminated some services that were part of the original contract so they were willing to bump up the upgrade date a few months.

I just called 611. Both Customer Service and Telesales had no info on the phone being available for order :-/

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
So lets start taking guesses...when does Mango hit our HTC Trophies on Verizon?

"Fall" was probably release to carriers, not push to devices.

I'm guessing November.

During the conference, he said we'd receive a notice on our phone that the update was available and then just plug it into your PC to get it. Is that how the NoDo went? Is that notice carrier dependent? Weren't the carriers only able to block one update a year and many used on the pre-NoDo?

They're not even done announcing all the features. Wait till they announce what's next with Zune and Windows Phone Live.

My guesses/wishlist:

Zune
* Smart DJ (already confirmed via rumor)
* Bing Music search (also confirmed by rumor)
* Music screensaver/visualization (confirmed by rumor)
* Zune Video Pass
* Video Marketplace on the phone
* Marketplace Picks, Mixview, and Zune Inbox
* Cloud playlists (hinted at by the Zune Insiders)
* Lyrics (Zune Pass exclusive)

Windows Phone Live
* Full phone backup, including contact details (custom picture, ringtone, etc.), game save data, text messages, call history, start screen tile arrangement
* Integration with Skydrive and/or Mesh (though I think they'll probably wait till the '8' release for this)
* Text from the web
* Voicemail from the web
* Install/push apps from the web

Exactly. This was a PREVIEW. There is no way they've showed everything. In fact they said to stay tuned for more in the weeks to come.

500 new features is a lot. Even if they're not each worthy of a demo, it's likely there are many more that are.

Grubish360

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The Zune inbox is actually different than the XBOX LIVE inbox as it includes messages sent via zune.net, which are not displayed by XBOX LIVE inbox.

Thanks, I just know that sometimes when I check my Zune inbox there will be xbox live friend requests/messages in there.

rkiels

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else notice in the Joe Belfiore video that he seemed to be doing his Mango demo on a Trophy? It's nice to see the potential of this supposed "mediocre" hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes