Samsung Focus Reboots Fixed? (it worked for me)

bwigginit

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
So I have had a Focus since day 1 of the launch. I also purchased a 16gb memory card from AT&T. My initial phone from the beginning was rebooting roughly 10 times a day. Thinking something was wrong with it, I took it back to AT&T and swapped it out with a new one. With my second Focus, the rebooting problem went away, at least for a little while. After about a week the rebooting problem came back. It would reboot anywhere from 3 times to 15 times a day. I began reading various forums, and the consensus was that it was the memory card causing the problems. I decided to just deal with it hoping that the Nodo update would cure it.
After installing Nodo recently, the rebooting did in fact stop... at least for a couple of days. The rebooting issue then came back, rebooting about 5 to 10 times a day. I then began reading more forums hoping that there was a solution. Below are two "fixes" or "theories" on how to fix it.
1. Some aftermarket phone cases were inadvertently pressing the power button on your phone. They suggested removing the case.
2. In the Zune software under the phone settings, change the "reserve space" option from 1% to 20%.
Even though my phone case was clearly not touching the power button, I decided to take it off anyway. I also did the "changing the reserve space" option. It has now been a week since doing both of these things, and voila! No reboots! So I don't know which of the above options fixed it, I just know that it does now work.
My own personal theory is that the Samsung Focus tends to run hot, especially when playing games. The case that I was using was a hard plastic case. I thought maybe since the phone wasn't able to breath as well, it was causing the battery/memory/etc inside to run hot, thus forcing a reboot.
But anyways, if you're having reboots, try the above options. It worked for me!

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I might get a card at some point. I'm using about 6GB of space. Random reboots kind of scared me from getting one. If more people report a lack of reboots then I'll pick one up.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually have memory cards at home that I never use as I never put music/movies on my device.

I just may try out one of the cards I have laying around. I have an 8gb somewhere.

bwigginit

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Spoke too soon..

Well the above fix that I posted worked...at least for a little while. After about a week, the reboots came back with a vengeance. I ultimately decided to take out my 16gb memory card, and did a hard reset hoping that it would ultimately fix the problem. But the next day the reboots continued. I noticed that it only happened when I had been using my phone for 10+ minutes. My theory is that the battery is getting too hot thus causing the reboots. I called AT&T warranty, and they are going to send me a new battery. Hopefully this will fix the issue. Will keep you updated...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope everything works out. My phone gets crazy hot too, but usually during phone calls. It's enough to make long conversations uncomfortable.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a problem where my phone would shut off, but it was immediate. I eventually found out that it happened when I created a little bit of pressure on the phone which I think bent the chassis enough to make the battery lose contact with the leads. I ended up folding part of a piece of paper into a square roughly the size of the battery compartment and sticking it in under the battery and it hasn't happened since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs