A few questions about the Arrive

wheresmy600

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I'm thinking of getting the Arrive. I have a couple of questions

Tethering - can you do this with Arrive? If not, is this a hardware issue, or could it be expected to come in the future?

Internet browsing - where would you rate the speed on scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best?

On web page rendering -- if you zoom, will the pages adjust or will you have to scroll from side to side to see the entire page. Alternatively, can you choose a larger font to display web pages, and if so, will the page adjust?

600 contacts is limitation -- I suppose I could pare down, as most are work contacts and a lot may be outdated, but right now I have 750. Is there an app to allow for more contacts?

Thanks for any answers you can give!

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Tethering is not currently an option with this phone. If/when it becomes available, don't be surprised if Sprint rigs it in to the 30/mo hotspot plan, that others have to use (EVO, Epic, etc.).

The web browser is pretty good. It's based on IE7 and includes features from IE8, so it's more like IE 7.5. It will be upgraded to IE9 Mobile with Mango.

Not sure about the scaling of web pages

I think the 600 contact limitation might be how many the phone can store. The device uses Google Contacts, Live Contacts and Exchange for pulling contacts down. Otherwise, I don't know of any other way past the hard limit on the phone...unless I am completely wrong in my thinking here.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I'm thinking of getting the Arrive. I have a couple of questions

Tethering - can you do this with Arrive? If not, is this a hardware issue, or could it be expected to come in the future?

Internet browsing - where would you rate the speed on scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best?

On web page rendering -- if you zoom, will the pages adjust or will you have to scroll from side to side to see the entire page. Alternatively, can you choose a larger font to display web pages, and if so, will the page adjust?

600 contacts is limitation -- I suppose I could pare down, as most are work contacts and a lot may be outdated, but right now I have 750. Is there an app to allow for more contacts?

Thanks for any answers you can give!

Tethering... We will get that eventually but I am almost positive Sprint will make us pay for it.

Browser... I give it an 8.5 but I am hard on browsers I give the best Android has to offer about a 6.5 so this is an improvement.

Rendering... Pinch to zoom to what ever size you want but if it doesn't fit the screen you will be scrolling. Double tap the text say in an article and it will zoom in to the text so that it is as large as can fit on the screen without rearranging the words. Works great on some websites like this one but not so great on others. You can't adjust the font all you can do is zoom in to a comfortable readable size if it doesn't fit you will be scrolling.

Contacts... Where did you read that there is a limit? I haven't seen that. I have in the 500 range so I'm not at the limit yet.

wheresmy600

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Oops Big D5 I think our posts crossed. I read about 600 contacts either on Sprint's website or in the online manual. Don't remember which one but it did stick out to me since I always see how many contacts have synched with my blackberry.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That's cool I think I'm going to check in to that 600 thing because I am getting close. Welcome to the forums... Go get that Arrive and give it a shot I bet you won't regret it. If you do you always have the 30 days to return it just don't accidentally run it over with the car

wheresmy600

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Go get that Arrive and give it a shot I bet you won't regret it. If you do you always have the 30 days to return it just don't accidentally run it over with the car

My sentiments exactly! I'm probably one of the few people on the planet that actually likes windows OS so that's why I'm willing to give this phone a shot.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Tethering not possible. The WB browser is a ten. In terms of Mobil browsing of mobile browsing its the best I have used (I have used Android, BlackBerry, iOS and WebOS). I love how scrolling and pinch to zoom is nearly perfect. I don't think 600 contacts is a limitation but that might be a sign I need moree friends lol

wheresmy600

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I went to pick up this phone this evening but unfortuantely allowing myself an hour in the Sprint store was not long enough! They never got to my name on list, and my next opportunity is not until Saturday :(

I did get to play with it and REALLY liked it! Even though it's been a demo since inception of the phone, it was still very responsive.

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I dont get all the love for the browser. Its very basic and featureless.

The pinch zoom is butter smooth but it does not change the rendering AT ALL. a feature thats been common in smartphones for years now. So unless what you are trying to read is formatted just right when you do zoom in you are scrolling side to side to read.

Not a problem for mobile pages but it just plain sucks with most forums.

Its a great phone but after using dolphin on android and opera on iOS for so long i am pretty confused at the praise that gets lavished on the WP7 browser. Its only a good browser when compared with the stock browsers on the other platforms, compared to third party browsers its pretty mediocre. So far the browsers in the market are no better. They are all just different UIs for IE.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I dont get all the love for the browser. Its very basic and featureless.

The pinch zoom is butter smooth but it does not change the rendering AT ALL. a feature thats been common in smartphones for years now. So unless what you are trying to read is formatted just right when you do zoom in you are scrolling side to side to read.

Not a problem for mobile pages but it just plain sucks with most forums.

Its a great phone but after using dolphin on android and opera on iOS for so long i am pretty confused at the praise that gets lavished on the WP7 browser. Its only a good browser when compared with the stock browsers on the other platforms, compared to third party browsers its pretty mediocre. So far the browsers in the market are no better. They are all just different UIs for IE.
ouch such harsh words, I have no problems reading anything in IE or with it rendering any sites I use. maybe u need to get ur vision checked and we'll also see what u say when mango comes out.

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
ouch such harsh words, I have no problems reading anything in IE or with it rendering any sites I use. maybe u need to get ur vision checked and we'll also see what u say when mango comes out.

The rendering issues i speak of are VERY well known. Maybe you should stop trolling and do a bit of research so you dont look like an arse.

With iOS and android when you zoom into text it will re-arrange it to be easily read without scrolling side to side. WP7 does NOT do this. So head to just about any non native forum for example and zoom in, you will have to scroll side to side to read.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
trolling? your the one bashing the browser for no reason. at least with this IE I don't have to worry about being redirected to mobile sites when all I want is the desktop version like I had to in the opera for both WM and Android. the default browsers on other problems also have this redirect problem, I also don't have to worry about rendering problems on sites such as MySpace. again this was a MAJOR problem in the opera browser, the only rendering problems I have on this IE is the disqus comment box no longer working. and as said before there is a zoom level that I use to where I can see all the text perfectly. this isn't an issue here, on PPCGeeks,HTC Mania,XDA and HoFo. so think again mar?ca!

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Lets have a civilized debate on the currant browser in WP7 shall we? Telling someone to get there eyes checked isn't proper forum educate nether is calling someone a troll enough said.
Website rendering is not included in this browser is it needed or necessary that is a matter of opinion. What do you guys think is text rendering needed in WP7?

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
trolling? your the one bashing the browser for no reason. at least with this IE I don't have to worry about being redirected to mobile sites when all I want is the desktop version like I had to in the opera for both WM and Android. the default browsers on other problems also have this redirect problem, I also don't have to worry about rendering problems on sites such as MySpace. again this was a MAJOR problem in the opera browser, the only rendering problems I have on this IE is the disqus comment box no longer working. and as said before there is a zoom level that I use to where I can see all the text perfectly. this isn't an issue here, on PPCGeeks,HTC Mania,XDA and HoFo. so think again mar?ca!

Why is it when something is criticized someone has to take it personal and call it bashing? You clearly did not read my post or you would understand what i meant about the rendering of text when zoomed it.

Im not "bashing" anything. Im giving my criticism on the subject at hand. Thats typically what you do when you want something improved. You dont pretend there are no issues then troll others that have complaints.

Its a rather serious issue i have with the browser hampering my day to day use of it. Its also a very well known issue like i said before that you continue to deny the existence of with the ancient ****** rhetoric "I dont have the issue so it dont exist".

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
When I pinch/zoom and can't read text along the right edge I turn my phone sideways. Problem solved. On my Tilt2 that solution was always hit and miss (delays, freezes) but with WP smooth as butter. Personally, don't really like text formatting of web pages, but maybe that's just me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I went to pick up this phone this evening but unfortuantely allowing myself an hour in the Sprint store was not long enough! They never got to my name on list, and my next opportunity is not until Saturday :(

I did get to play with it and REALLY liked it! Even though it's been a demo since inception of the phone, it was still very responsive.

Dude, I have waiting in the stores and if I was you, I would have grabbed a person and say "If you don't want a new sale, I will go to Verizon" to make them move. I had to do that for a my wife at my sprint store one time, as they were messing with idiots that couldn't make up their mind.. I know the stores get busy, but sometimes you got to kick them in the pants. I wouldn't leave a store till I got one, but you said one hour you had a schedule to keep?

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
When I pinch/zoom and can't read text along the right edge I turn my phone sideways. Problem solved. On my Tilt2 that solution was always hit and miss (delays, freezes) but with WP smooth as butter. Personally, don't really like text formatting of web pages, but maybe that's just me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

That would all be well, except the controls are nerfed when in landscape. Which is made more annoying because when you use the keyboard, the phone by default locks its self in landscape mode.

So while IE renders fast, and is generally good, IE9 can't come fast enough - IMO.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
That is one thing I have seen in the WP7 vids I don't understand, lack of landscape mode. I know MS pushed WP7 out fast, but if you let copy and paste slip, then 3rd party multitasking, you surely would put in landscape mode. Made no sense that they didn't polish that out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett