Anyone Noticed on HD7 search..

Miistercoool

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that when you click the search button on the HD7 it of course automatically goes to bing but if you happen to have the browser open it doesn't go to bing but it goes to google!!!! i think that's blasphemy! Anyone else have the same problem? i just want to hear any thoughts on this.

Miistercoool

May 26, 2011
Visit site
nobody?? if you didn't understand, what i'm saying is when i press the search it goes to BING but i happen to have the internet explorer open when i press the search button then it goes to google.com instead...i don't understand this...my brother has a samsung focus and he doesn't have this problem...i just want some thoughts on this...i tried everything :/

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Well that's interesting. I hadn't noticed this. I've never hit the search button from inside the browser. I have noticed the search button does behave differently depending on where you are, e.g. in the Marketplace it searches there. I do find this behavior from inside the browser interesting. I guess somehow Google is the default search engine for the browesr?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My Surround on AT&T opens Bing if I tap search while IE is open.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Miistercoool

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It can be fixed by modifying your phone's registry. I did this and it worked fine. It seems to me that while I think a carrier is OK setting the default search provider changing this to something of my preference should not require me to start modifying my registry.

cool thanks, but could i get some help on this because i have no idea what you mean by phone's registry? how do i access this?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
cool thanks, but could i get some help on this because i have no idea what you mean by phone's registry? how do i access this?
You need a dev unlocked device if you just have a stock HD7 there isn't much you can do. This annoyed the **** outta me I wish we could have the choice of changing it. Oh well.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
oh ok i see damn that sucks! but thanks anyways
Yeah it does, at least when Mango comes around the search button will take care of practically anything you would need so there really won't be a need for search within the browser. The funny thing is, when I first got my HD7 four months ago I didn't mind Google in the browser because at the time the results were more accurate with Google, from then up until now though, I've been seeing a shift in results. For a while results started becoming very similar then it started shifting with bing getting the more accurate search results, anybody else notice this? Anyway, now that bing is better it totally sucks that we can't change it.

gkww

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a sim-free HD7. I just tried what you said by going to the browser and click on the search button, but it takes me to Bing (like it normally would) and not Google.

It's stock and not dev-unlocked by the way.

Maybe you gots a bad phone? O_O

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a sim-free HD7. I just tried what you said by going to the browser and click on the search button, but it takes me to Bing (like it normally would) and not Google.

It's stock and not dev-unlocked by the way.

Maybe you gots a bad phone? O_O
No it isn't a bad phone as stated in one of the above posts, it's a carrier choice so it's only subsidized devices that may have Google set to default, but it'll only be a matter of time before mango's out and we'll have control over that.

MitigationElf

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Arrgh!

I finally was able to get rid of behind-the-times Verizon and got my T-Mobile HD 7 about 3 days ago. I immediately noticed this issue.

IE is set up so you can use the address bar as a search launch - which I often do when I am already in IE. The very first time I used this feature, I immediately noticed Google results instead of Bing. I have asked in the T-Mobile forrums about this but no answer. This is the first place I could find mention of this amazingly HUGE problem.

Thanks for the answers - though I am frustrated beyond words that I can't change it right now.

I have also been unable to find a place to give feedback to MS on issues and features that need to be re-added to the Windows Phone Platform. Anyone know where to do so?

rhogue

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed it in the first week I had the phone. Originally, I thought it was a joke...but, as someone else said, it's a carrier choice.

For me, I now click Windows button, the search...in one motion. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss