Decisions... decisions...

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So, with the release of the HTC Trophy I am confounded with a lot of directions I can go in order to jump the ship over to WP7.

First, the direct route is to renew my verizon contract and pay 100 or so duckets, knowing that I might break my contract within a year for a newer mango goodness nokia device, costing me another ~300 + the price of whatever device I get.

Second, buy the trophy off-contract for ~400+ and not have a contract to worry about.

Third, I can say "good for verizon, glad they got the trophy" and promptly cancel my current contract, buy a focus off-contract for ~200 from ebay and pay the ~200 cancelation fee (I've got another 7+ months left on my contract, but my sister will let me use her upgrade if I want), then start off-contract service with ATT.

Fourth, wait.

Sucks because all my options end up costing about the same in the end ~400+ except the last one... But right now I have a Pre Plus and I was happy with it for a while, but its really not very fast and its getting less smooth every day. Not super responsive... and no amount of ghz-age will make it faster, it has to do with optimizing the operating system and user-interface to make things happen quickly and I just think HP is working at a snails pace here.

Anyways, whatcha' guys think?

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Go with #1. The Trophy will get Mango when it comes out and the only new features you'll be missing are the ones that require new hardware like new cameras, gyro, compass, etc.

If I really feel like I'm missing something, I'll weigh my options and go from there. In the mean time I've had the same phone for way too long, so I've upgraded.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess the other factor here is the battery life and screen of the trophy vs the focus... because the focus is the ish...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same internal debate and I decided I'm gonna go with #1. Amazon has it for $99 plus starting Monday you'll get a $25 gift card with the purchase of a Windows phone. I'm jumping on this first thing on Monday.

If I want to upgrade down the line, I figure I can pick up something on Ebay. The wait will be easier since I'll already have a WP7 phone.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
if you are happy with verizon's service, then i would go with option one, then if/when the gen2 devices come to verizon, you can sell the trophy and buy a new phone then free and clear from vzw/ebay/CL and use the trophy to offset some of the cost.

or if you can wait it out a month or a month and a half, i'm sure you'll be able to find a trophy from ebay/CL going for under 300, provided there are no supply issues. that's the route i'm taking with the trophy, but it's easier for me to do since i have a focus to use in the meantime :)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
or if you can wait it out a month or a month and a half, i'm sure you'll be able to find a trophy from ebay/CL going for under 300, provided there are no supply issues. that's the route i'm taking with the trophy, but it's easier for me to do since i have a focus to use in the meantime :)

I originally planned on doing this, but I made the mistake of going to a Verizon store and playing with a Trophy. Now I don't want to wait anymore! And I don't have a focus to hold me over until then.:)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
First, the direct route is to renew my verizon contract and pay 100 or so duckets, knowing that I might break my contract within a year for a newer mango goodness nokia device, costing me another ~300 + the price of whatever device I get.

Maybe I am missing something, but you get the Trophy now with a new contract for $99. If and when some Nokia goodness comes to Verizon you either buy off contract (probably $450-500) or wait two months and buy from eb/cl for $300 maybe. Then sell your Trophy for about $150. Either way, no broken contract w/Verizon. Simply turn off Trophy and turn on new Nokia. You phone fell in the toilet and you replaced it. Somewhere betwee $250/$400, maybe $450 at the end of the day, but you are sporting new phones for at least the next year.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I am missing something, but you get the Trophy now with a new contract for $99. If and when some Nokia goodness comes to Verizon you either buy off contract (probably $450-500) or wait two months and buy from eb/cl for $300 maybe. Then sell your Trophy for about $150. Either way, no broken contract w/Verizon. Simply turn off Trophy and turn on new Nokia. You phone fell in the toilet and you replaced it. Somewhere betwee $250/$400, maybe $450 at the end of the day, but you are sporting new phones for at least the next year.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

i think (and i may be wrong) that the OP might switch carriers for gen2 hardware, and that's why there would be ETF involved.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm not naive enough to think Verizon is getting any new WP7 devices for another year at least.

I'd most likely want to jump ship to get a new nokia device, preferably not from T-Mobile but ATT, but we'll see.

Edit: It's actually similar to what I did last time I saw an operating system I "had to have" (WebOS), it had been out almost a year, bought the "upgraded" Pre Plus, it was already behind when it came out, here I am a year and a half later and the Pre 2 isn't that much better than an overclocked Pre Plus other than WebOS 2.1 which I've already hacked onto my Pre Plus. But it sounds like Mango will be released to all devices and there are lots more devices for WP7 already than for WebOS, so hopefully this is a better gamble than my previous one.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully, if the Trophy is selling decently (I think it is) and the newer WP7 phones sell well then Verizon might be willing to get on the bandwagon for next year. We'll see.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm not naive enough to think Verizon is getting any new WP7 devices for another year at least.

I'd most likely want to jump ship to get a new nokia device, preferably not from T-Mobile but ATT, but we'll see.

Edit: It's actually similar to what I did last time I saw an operating system I "had to have" (WebOS), it had been out almost a year, bought the "upgraded" Pre Plus, it was already behind when it came out, here I am a year and a half later and the Pre 2 isn't that much better than an overclocked Pre Plus other than WebOS 2.1 which I've already hacked onto my Pre Plus. But it sounds like Mango will be released to all devices and there are lots more devices for WP7 already than for WebOS, so hopefully this is a better gamble than my previous one.

You sound like me in a lot of ways. Verizon has lost a lot of goodwill with me over this. It's opened my eyes to their hubris as a company. I do NOT want to sign another contract with them unless I see better commitment from them to WP and a more timely release schedule. I also fear that the update process with them will make NoDo seem like it was handled by Ozymandias*.

To have my very first exposure to WP7 in person be on a Focus, its hard to look at the Trophy (and no, I haven't seen it in person ... yet) and not be disappointed that this was the BEST that Verizon could do 7 months after launch.

So I feel ya, man.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
To have my very first exposure to WP7 in person be on a Focus, its hard to look at the Trophy (and no, I haven't seen it in person ... yet) and not be disappointed that this was the BEST that Verizon could do 7 months after launch.

I had a Focus when they first came out, but alas no bars at home, so I returned it.

I got a Trophy today and while the screen isn't as nice as the Focus, the device is buttery smooth. I wish Verizon would have released this thing a long time ago.

Now if I could just get the thing to work using my Office 365 login as my primary email address.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've had the trophy since about 1:30 and couldn't be happier. The whole mango thing will come when it comes. But as of right now I'm feeling relieved I got it. I finally have a phone I don't have to worry about. I've been throwing phones around a lot lately not doing anything I've wanted to cause I figured I'd be getting a wp7 for so long that I just want to buy some apps load my songs and just be happy with a smooth running phone.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap buying a phone couldn't be anymore difficult... I mean the actual process needed to go through to just buy the *(#@ thing!

Since I'm on a family plan with my sister it makes it even more difficult because she is the primary account holder, and all the credit card information has to match hers... soooo...

I'm going to cancel/seperate our accounts any way I can, we're 28 and 33 life 80 miles away from each other and being on the same account is just a royal pain in the ***...

/rant.

Edit: Ok, totally bought one from verizon, it'll be here tuesday.

Last edited:

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
You won't regret getting the Trophy. The display isn't as good as the focus which sucks but its a great device. I'm not worried about the Nokia phones till 2012 until I see a front facing camera and 4G the Gen2 hardware to me won't matter unless they have that in them cause its not a big upgrade hardware wise unless they have that. But enjoy your trophy.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, one of the biggest things for me was software optimization. And mango is running faster even on the older hardware, which shows that they've put effort into making it run faster, not putting the burden on the hardware to make it perform faster.

So unless there are some very graphical intensive games I want to play on the phone, it probably won't be obsolete for at least a year, but who knows, I might still upgrade for a better screen/camera etc.

Anyone confirm the gorilla glass thing? Say it anywhere in the packaging, etc? Trying to decide which case and screen protector to get now...

shayneR

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Wireless, one of the biggest mobile carriers in the nation, will now charge customers for paying their bills on the internet. Verizon is among other companies that charges consumers for the convenience of paying their bill. Paying bills sometimes requires a personal loan for help. After I read this news, I realized that this is not a good idea. If this will be implemented, a lot of customers will not anymore pay online or using phone because of the $2 charge. It means that Verizon will go back to receiving bills thru the mail and paying bills thru the mail with checks. Verizon will be paying millions more in postage, paper for bills and more employees to process the checks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)