Hidden Wi-Fi on Trophy

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Got my Trophy today and I am loving it so far.

One thing I can't figure out is how to use/get the HTC Hidden Wi-Fi app. When I click on the tile in the HTC Hub, there is not an option to install the app. In Wi-Fi Settings there are no options to activate or find a hidden network.

I am hoping I am just missing something. Does anyone have any good ideas here?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
For some reason it wont show up if you fallow the market link. Start HTC hub then chose "More" twice should be in that list on my Arrive its at the top of the list.

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I had tried that but there is no option to install at the bottom of the screen.
I am wondering if Verizon disabled this feature.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just stopped by a Verizon store. The rep didn't know anything about the Trophy other than that they had a sample phone and would be getting stock and accessories on June 2nd. He recommended contacting Verizon or HTC tech support.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
When HTC first came out with this app it required firmware update. I wonder if something in the firmware changed (due to Verizon) and its currently not supported.

Side note: I love how the trophy id's itself by model number rather than name like every other windows phone. I am starting to think Verizon does way more than "test" phones on their network.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I never saw the app in my HTC Hub, but I could always find it when searching the Marketplace for "Hidden Wi-Fi". Just tried that though and nothing, so it looks like HTC pulled it, maybe to make some changes or make it compatible with the Trophy. I have it installed on my Surround and it still works.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
When HTC first came out with this app it required firmware update. I wonder if something in the firmware changed (due to Verizon) and its currently not supported.

Side note: I love how the trophy id's itself by model number rather than name like every other windows phone. I am starting to think Verizon does way more than "test" phones on their network.

with the amount of bugs that make it through verizon's "testing" i think they just throw the phones in a box until they feel like releasing them, and just tell everyone they're testing the phone.

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried calling Verizon Sunday afternoon to get an answer on this, and Tier 1 support had to send me to Tier 2 support. They didn't have an answer either, and tried to connect me to the Windows Phone support group. They were not working on Sunday, and it was suggested that I try to call back on Tuesday.

So next I went to HTC's site and submitted this email:
I just got a HTC Trophy from Verizon. I know that by default WP7 phones do not see hidden WiFi networks. I also know that HTC came out with a Hidden WiFi app a few months ago. I can see the Hidden WiFi app in the HTC Hub, but I am not seeing an optino to install it. Can you please let me know why?

This is the response I got:
I understand how important it is for you to be able to install this application. However, this application will not be available to you until the device receives an update. We unfortunately do not know exactly when this will be.

However, in the mean time, Microsoft has concluded that having the Wi-Fi network hidden does not increase the security of the network in any way. Having the network hidden does not keep hackers from accessing your network because they way that they find the network is to look for a broadcasting signal. So, having the network hidden does not help as they can usually get the name of the network in about 30 seconds if they are trying to access it. So, there is really no point in having the network hidden, and I suggest just removing this from the network.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Sincerely,
HTC

I think that I either got a response from someone that doesn't know what they are doing or is arguing semantics. I am trying to connect my phone to the internet through my wireless router, and I usually have it set to not "Broadcast" the SSID, and therefore it is "Hidden". If hackers are looking for a "Broadcast" signal, and I am not "Broadcasting", then it seems like it would be more secure.

Either way, based on the first paragraph there could be a future update from HTC that Verizon may allow, that would enable this app, or this could be part of Mango.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If hackers are looking for a "Broadcast" signal, and I am not "Broadcasting", then it seems like it would be more secure.

While I think their response was kind of silly, and even though MS should have included hidden wifi support long ago, they're actually right about this. Hackers can discover a "hidden" wifi network pretty easily. You still should use good encryption. Just use WPA2 and a non-trivial password and you'll be fine.

Unfortunately this won't work if your company isn't broadcasting their SSID and you have no control over their policy. It looks like we might have to wait for Mango for that.

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I got another email reply from HTC, indicating to me that they still did not understand my issue, so I decided to call their support number. They were very straight forward and helpful.

Here is what was said.
The Hidden Wi-Fi app was a little buggy to begin with, and when NoDo was released (pre-installed on the Trophy), it killed the app.

HTC is working on fixing the app with the next phone update. Try to download the app again once an update comes out.

So I at least got a straightforward answer and will watch for an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro