Hey Wireless Vet

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
So I have a question. Now that the trophy has been out for a bit....how's it doing? Have you heard any news about how it's selling any people asking for it from you. Anything you've heard would be nice to know about. Thanks :)

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
So I have a question. Now that the trophy has been out for a bit....how's it doing? Have you heard any news about how it's selling any people asking for it from you. Anything you've heard would be nice to know about. Thanks :)

Sorry, haven't been around for a while. I was just going to comment, I got an email from the HTC rep yesterday, and he stated the SLCD screen was never intended for this device, not that it really matters now.

I haven't sold one yet, and there has been no feedback at all from my fellow reps about customers asking for it. I've most definitely been mentioning it, but customers are buying up/asking for Apple and Google.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, haven't been around for a while. I was just going to comment, I got an email from the HTC rep yesterday, and he stated the SLCD screen was never intended for this device, not that it really matters now.

I haven't sold one yet, and there has been no feedback at all from my fellow reps about customers asking for it. I've most definitely been mentioning it, but customers are buying up/asking for Apple and Google.

buying up/asking for Apple and Google.[/

Sorry, just had to do this. I think your customer are buying down to the Apple and Google. :lol:

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
buying up/asking for Apple and Google.[/

Sorry, just had to do this. I think your customer are buying down to the Apple and Google. :lol:

I understand, and think it's great so many of you support Windows and think it's superior, but now that the phone has been released, I'm reading a lot of the same glitches that all of the other OS's have, so bottom line, it's no better or worse then the others. And you can' t deny the success that Google and Apple have/have had.

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I understand, and think it's great so many of you support Windows and think it's superior, but now that the phone has been released, I'm reading a lot of the same glitches that all of the other OS's have, so bottom line, it's no better or worse then the others. And you can' t deny the success that Google and Apple have/have had.

Exactly.

Also you have to remember that the main reason Apple is so successfull is their marketing, and Android was a fringe OS (less known among the masses than even Windows Mobile) before Verizon lainched ther Droid Does campaign with the original Droid.

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
You can't get any raw data from this, but at the time of this post there are 232 reviews for the HTC Trophy and 186 reviews for the Motorola Droid X2, which was released the same day, on Verizon Wireless's website. There are tons of factors that could play into this, but it seems like the phone is selling well for being a single phone, at least on the website. However, there are obviously multiple Android devices on Verizon's lineup, but I don't think you could ever say it isn't selling in general, just not at particular locations.

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
You can't get any raw data from this, but at the time of this post there are 232 reviews for the HTC Trophy and 186 reviews for the Motorola Droid X2, which was released the same day, on Verizon Wireless's website. There are tons of factors that could play into this, but it seems like the phone is selling well for being a single phone, at least on the website. However, there are obviously multiple Android devices on Verizon's lineup, but I don't think you could ever say it isn't selling in general, just not at particular locations.

It could be argued that this is caused by highly motivated individials motivated by fanboyism ;)

But you also have to remember that the Trophy is a brand new product while the DX2 is a very underwhelming update to a hugely successfull phone. A good amount of Dx users are choosing not to upgrade because they will get so little out of it: a slightly newer processor that is now dual core but the same screen and unibody, an older version of Android than is now available on the DX, and they loose a physical camera button.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm a bit slow but it just occurred to me. Why does Android have so many different phones with so many different specs. It must be a nightmare for the vendors to keep up with training of their people, updating so many versions of Android software. I'm using a Droid X for a few days and I must say. I am in a quandry as to what version of OS I have, which of the many Fart programs to download.

I'm going back to my Trophy and float along till Mango comes. Remember the Nancy Reagan slogan of "Say no to Drugs". Well I think Microsoft should adopt a variation of the theme with: "It just works!".

It was mentioned above how Verizon got Android going with the "Droid Does" ad program. Wouldn't something like "It just works" be something that MS and Nokia and others could use to show the masses that there is an alternative to IOS and Android?

It's Monday early morning and my brain is racing. Sorry for the silly ideas.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
"It just works!", will work for me. Although I did enjoy the "The phone to save us from our phones" campaign. They were rather humorous!

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
It could be argued that this is caused by highly motivated individials motivated by fanboyism ;)

But you also have to remember that the Trophy is a brand new product while the DX2 is a very underwhelming update to a hugely successfull phone. A good amount of Dx users are choosing not to upgrade because they will get so little out of it: a slightly newer processor that is now dual core but the same screen and unibody, an older version of Android than is now available on the DX, and they loose a physical camera button.

Which is why there are tons of factors that could play into this, that's one of those reasons. :p Just don't want to sit here for 30 minutes coming up with a list, but it still is getting attention.

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit slow but it just occurred to me. Why does Android have so many different phones with so many different specs. It must be a nightmare for the vendors to keep up with training of their people, updating so many versions of Android software. I'm using a Droid X for a few days and I must say. I am in a quandry as to what version of OS I have, which of the many Fart programs to download.

Actually for the most part they are not as different as you would expect. Android 2.0/2.1 (Ecclair) had more features in it than iOS or WB7 have now (most of the work done in newer versions have been under the hood), and as much as people may complain about so called "fragmentation" it really only effects a few apps. For the most part any phone running 2.1 or better (which is something like 95% of the phones out there) will run almost any of the apps out there. UI changes are mostly skin deep, with a few apps (like the dialer, messaging, and the gallery) replaced with custom versions.

This is actually a GOOD thing and has contributed to Android's collossal growth. All iPhones are exactly the same (with each generation) other than the color and memory capacity. If a person does not like that design they have no choice but to live with it. Most WP7 phones are more or less the same too (different innards and different sizes but for the most part they are all black slabs). Android has phones of all shapes sizes and configurations. Black slap, front facing keyboard, side slide out keyboard, different screen sizes and resolutions, front and rear cameras. Android has it all, and at varying price points.

Dieter Bohn told Phil (Nickenson, the Android Central Editor) in n A Central podcast last year, that carriers are going to use Android to replace feature phones and he is right. Walk into any carrier store you are going to see maybe a third of the feature phones you did even a year ago. Some are WP7, iOS, or Blackberry but the vast majority are Android.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually for the most part they are not as different as you would expect. Android 2.0/2.1 (Ecclair) had more features in it than iOS or WB7 have now (most of the work done in newer versions have been under the hood), and as much as people may complain about so called "fragmentation" it really only effects a few apps. For the most part any phone running 2.1 or better (which is something like 95% of the phones out there) will run almost any of the apps out there. UI changes are mostly skin deep, with a few apps (like the dialer, messaging, and the gallery) replaced with custom versions.

This is actually a GOOD thing and has contributed to Android's collossal growth. All iPhones are exactly the same (with each generation) other than the color and memory capacity. If a person does not like that design they have no choice but to live with it. Most WP7 phones are more or less the same too (different innards and different sizes but for the most part they are all black slabs). Android has phones of all shapes sizes and configurations. Black slap, front facing keyboard, side slide out keyboard, different screen sizes and resolutions, front and rear cameras. Android has it all, and at varying price points.

Dieter Bohn told Phil (Nickenson, the Android Central Editor) in n A Central podcast last year, that carriers are going to use Android to replace feature phones and he is right. Walk into any carrier store you are going to see maybe a third of the feature phones you did even a year ago. Some are WP7, iOS, or Blackberry but the vast majority are Android.

Just in case you weren't aware, the only thing you list as being an "advantage" for android that actually is an "advantage", is the varying resolutions. I put advantage in quotes because this is actually a type of fragmentation that causes problems when trying to develop apps, therefore I don't consider it an advantage. There are no requirements restricting anything else you said from being designed as a windows phone. Just because nobody has built one yet, doesnt make it an "android" advantage ;)

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
There are no requirements restricting anything else you said from being designed as a windows phone. Just because nobody has built one yet, doesnt make it an "android" advantage ;)

To the consumer it does. If they cant walk into a store and buy it then for all intents and purposes it does not matter. Yes over time I am sure there will be new designs and sizes of WP7 phones but for now there isn't, and that's all that matters to almost all end consumers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea