Mango Beta Update Results

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I bit the bullet and I tried the mango update from
Get the Mango update now. Without being a developer. - Windows Phone Hacker

and basically... yeah, it didn't work. I started freaking out thinking I bricked it. It downloaded the update, but when it restarted it did not turn back on. The zune software was just stuck on saying "Installing Update". After 15min of a blank screen I disconnected the phone and tried to turn it on. I pulled the battery and then when the phone turned back on it went to the "connect to pc" image with the backup signal on it, but the computer wasn't reacting to the phone being connected.

If you are an impatient fool like me and are in the same deal as me, I think you'll be okay. Right now, I am restoring my backup, and considering the time it must be my NoDo backup which is ~16gb. To do this, follow the instructions on the Windows Phone Recovery Tool. BAsically, turn off the phone and then turn it back on while pressing the camera button. Release the power button while still pressing the camera button. This will launch the recovery mode and you zune software should prompt you to restore from your backup.

I'm probably really stupid, but I'm going to try it again when the restore is finished.

Anybody successful at doing this hacked up update? I should have just stopped being lazy and gotten my developer unlock (I have the dreamspark developer account which requires you to finish and submit an app before they allow you to unlock your device).

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen any horror stories about a failed hacked updated on XDA. Sorry for ya.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
IT WORKED!

Okay, did the same method and it worked out just fine. Took forever though to complete

and I don't even know how, but it's faster and smoother than before, and it was already fast and smooth before!

This is so exciting!

... Although the 160+ bug is still there. It's sorta addressed... now it says "message too long" and gives you the character count past 160 but won't let you send it. This is strange, cause I know that the Verizon Trophy can send messages past 160+ characters.

but other than that, holy cow! It works!

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So what do you think coaster freak ?
I have the people hub and two groups on my home screen and DAM!!
It looks like I have a phone on seteoids.. :)
I'm loving mango .. the text to speach rocks..

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
IT WORKED!

Okay, did the same method and it worked out just fine. Took forever though to complete

and I don't even know how, but it's faster and smoother than before, and it was already fast and smooth before!

This is so exciting!

... Although the 160+ bug is still there. It's sorta addressed... now it says "message too long" and gives you the character count past 160 but won't let you send it. This is strange, cause I know that the Verizon Trophy can send messages past 160+ characters.

but other than that, holy cow! It works!

Hey about how long did your take to update? I'm updating mine now and Zune is still still displaying, "Installing Updates" message.

I know your previous post , you said it was like 15 minutes. Did it still take 15 minutes, the second time you tried it?

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I got Mango installed on my Arrive. However, I can't sync with Zune. I keep getting the message, "can't find media package "Zune WMDU Component it might be incomplete or corrupted"

can someone please help me out here?

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got Mango installed on my Arrive. However, I can't sync with Zune. I keep getting the message, "can't find media package "Zune WMDU Component it might be incomplete or corrupted"

can someone please help me out here?

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

That, I did not encounter. But I believe people on the comments section of that article did. Read up on there. I think you have to get the beta Zune client or something

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
That, I did not encounter. But I believe people on the comments section of that article did. Read up on there. I think you have to get the beta Zune client or something

Thanks...I saw that that was mentioned in the comments area also, but somehow I overlooked the link..lol.

I will give this a shot though...thanks

countolaf

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Has Microsoft added text reflow after pinch-to-zoom to the browser in Mango? I'm seriously thinking of switching from an Android phone but this is something I've found VERY useful on various Android browsers. I tried an Arrive at the store but I thought the initial release had way too much back-and-forth scrolling on certain web sites after pinch zooming.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I updated my phone to the beta today though I promised myself before I would wait for the official release. all I have to say is WOW. the phone is even faster when I already thought it was lightening fast. the new Bing search tools are freaking awesome. Bing vision lets you live scan barcodes, qr tags, and even just products themselves better than any of the existing scanner apps. music recognition is very accurate also. multitasking works very well and in general I find it so worth the update even in beta.

today is most definitely a good day with mango.

evopanop

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So... this method is not working for me, and I have no idea what's going on... I have an HTC Arrive on Sprint. Here's what I'm getting:

Windows Phone Mango for All installer v0.2
===========================================
Welcome! This batch file will provision your phone.
This new version of the tool will do the following:
1) Backup your phone
2) Copy the backup of your phone to C:\PreMangoState
3) Provision your phone, making it detect the new Mango update
Make sure you have the Windows Phone Support Tools installed.
Connect your phone to your computer, then
Press any key to continue . . .
WARNING: Proceed at your own risk. This may void your warranty, brick your devic
e, etc.
Most users are successful, but be forewarned.
Press any key to continue . . .
UpdateWP version 4.7.1404

Error: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected mem
ory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at Interop.WM7UpdateLib.WM7DeviceManagerClass.EnumerateNext()
at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.Initialize()
at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.get_Instance()
at wm7update.Program.Main(String[] args)
===

BTW, I'm on 32 bit Windows 7, if that makes any difference. It does the entire backup and everything, but then when it starts up Zune there is no update for my phone. It says that it's up to date. Any ideas, anyone?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Are you running the new version of Zune, labeled Zune *TEST*. I already had it installed before starting the same steps you listed below and the update went without a hitch using my Vista x64 PC.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

evopanop

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you running the new version of Zune, labeled Zune *TEST*. I already had it installed before starting the same steps you listed below and the update went without a hitch using my Vista x64 PC.

I'm still running the current version of the Zune software... but I'll update it to the Beta 2 client, and see if that helps any. I have a feeling that's not what's causing the issue... but who knows.

evopanop

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So I updated the Zune client to 4.8, which required me to update the UpdateWP to the 4.8 compatible version to attempt the upgrade, which I did, and now I'm still getting the same error message...

UpdateWP version 4.8.2098.0

Error: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at Interop.WM7UpdateLib.WM7DeviceManagerClass.EnumerateNext()
at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.Initialize()
at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.get_Instance()
at wm7update.Program.Main(String[] args)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh well, it was an idea. I know you can't get the Mango updates (there are two) without Zune 4.8, so it was worth a shot. No idea what the errors mean.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs