Adding External Memory?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
May have messed up. Wife & I both got Focus' last weekend and opted to wait on getting external memory cards. Well, I just came across this... http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa...ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PROD_ID=558&AT_ID=344529

If I am reading that correct, we will have to reformat phones and loose everything. Will doing a backup to the Zune software on our PC first, allow us to restore our game saves on the newly formatted phones or will we be hosed? Also, do have to buy memory cards from Samsung direct or can someone recommend a cheaper, supported option?

Sent from my Focus using Board Express

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about game saves but the backup will save your contacts and pics/vids.

You don't have to buy from Samsung or ATT directly as they sometimes whille charge an arm and possibly a leg for their stuff. You can check Amazon, Newegg or Tigerdirect for deals on microsd cards. Be careful though, some cards will work and some won't and sometimes won't show any symptoms until you pass the original 8gb threshold on the phone.

Here's a list of working sd cards that you can try : [REF] Working SD Cards List - xda-developers

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... I thought I read somewhere that mango backs up app data to the cloud? Now I can't find the article. :[

Sent from my Focus using Board Express

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I ordered and successfully installed a $47 32gb card -the first week I got a new ATT-issued 1.3 Focus- 5 weeks ago today. I had problems installing the card initially (see my earliest posts from 5 weeks ago) and called ATT and Samsung. They both discouraged me, and only Samsung was ready to recommend a Sandisk 8gb card. That was meaningless to me as I was poised to return the phone if I couldn't get a 32 card to work. The user guide is full of warnings and risks -see pp 10-11. There's also a statement released by MS in August that warns users to only use certified cards. The satement did not identify such cards and there is no such listing at any of the parties' websites. I've read somewhere that Sandisk did have a list early on, though it was pulled and I never saw a report of what that list included. I also read somewhere -perhaps in that Microsoft statement- that phones with card slots are only to be used by OEMs. I took a damn-the-torpedoes approach, but I was still in my 30-day trial period. There are plenty of bad-experience reports on these forums, although I hadn't read them, the guide, or any other warning prior to my purchase or prior to ordering the card from Amazin. So, it's risky business from many reports and documents, but mine has been working flawlessly -as far as I can detect- since day 1 and through a successful mango install last night -and I have read of other successes here. Good luck to you. BTW, I had installed and entered very little data by the 5th day of ownership when I installed the card. I found that calendar and contact data were restored after my restore/reformat, but I had to reinstall and re-set everything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise