Random reboots+unable to detect wifi network after Mango.

brew1985

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So Mango is awesome...but after a couple of days' use, my Focus can't detect wifi networks now. Also, I thought my phone was doing this random reboot thing because of a hot battery or something, but it's done it when it's cool too...looks like I'm going to be using a warranty and restoring a refurbished Focus...other than that, I still think this phone blows Iphone and Android out of the water!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
maybe try doing a simple hard reset before you return it.

ether way your gona lose all your info if you exchange it.... hard reset seems to fix allot of problems.

brew1985

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Did a hard reset (vol down+camera+power) and it did not fix the wifi issue...however it did change the "about phone" screen to actually call the OS Software 7.5. No way to really test the random reboots, they were happening while I was working overnight shifts and using LOTS of media and data, which I don't feel like trying to replicate. Since I've lost everything (which on Windows phone means very little since it is sooooo easy to restore everything except appointments and notes) I'm just going to push for a warranty exchange. Hopefully they don't give me a 1.4....I have been spoiled by Mango and don't want to have to wait for it lol!

brew1985

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I didn't, and according to the guy I got it from, he had never put one in either. But it's all good, I'm getting a new one from ATT's warranty exchange

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
brew are you using hotmail calendar for appointments? thats what I am using and after my mango update and phone restart when I checked right after all my calendar events were there and now the to dos sync as well .

digity

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I also have a Samsung Focus v1.3 that randomly restarts after upgrading to Mango (7.5). Initially it happened a couple times a week not it happens a couple times a day. This never happened before Mango.

Anyone find a fix for this yet?

P.S. - I'm not having that wifi issue though (I find and connect to wifi networks just fine).

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
No restarts, prior to or after Mango, crash -also with a (new-ATT-issued) v1.3, and with a 32GB-card install since week 1. Good luck finding a fix. Have you tried going back to your/a store and complaining, or calling Samsung? Neither the store nor Samung helped me with the card install, but some things the Samsung rep said while trying gave me ideas that I later used to solve my problem. The xda-developers forums are pretty good too, although I think I've only hovered there. Again, best of luck to you.

mesonto

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I also have a Samsung Focus v1.3 that randomly restarts after upgrading to Mango (7.5). Initially it happened a couple times a week not it happens a couple times a day. This never happened before Mango.

Anyone find a fix for this yet?

P.S. - I'm not having that wifi issue though (I find and connect to wifi networks just fine).

@crashintoty: these random reboots are now happening with me after upgrading to Mango. Never happened before though. Really irritating, sometimes up to 4 times a day.

Also having problems connecting to wifi now! What gives?

digity

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The random reboots don't happen anymore. The culprit may have been The Weather Channel app (or some weather app) which wasn't truly Mango ready at the time. I believe the random reboots stopped or lessened once I removed that app (I don't recall totally).

I would try removing or updating any older/pre-Mango apps, especially ones that has live tiles or hooks into the system in any way (i.e., notifications, syncing, etc.).

Hope that helps.

scarfinv

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
People have been experiencing random reboots on a variety of different phones, so I suspect it is not soley a hardware issue.

I've been googling the random reboot issue for a few days now, since I'd been experiencing the reboots more frequently.

I bought my Samsung Focus in December of 2010 - and it was very stable until after I got Mango - then reboots started to appear...

But now I'm thinking that this may have just been a coincidence.

I read in another forum that someone thought it might be an issue with a "bad" email. Getting rid of the email directly from the server seemed to help the issue when your phone didn't have to attempt to download it any more.

I did some checking on my phone, and I had a couple different email accounts set up that I use only infrequently - they were gmail. Since I'd moved my gmail calendars over to Windows Live last week, I decided last night to just delete all my gmail accounts from my phone to see what happened.

My phone has now been up for a little over 11 hours - that's the longest it's gone without a reboot in ages.

This may just be another coincidence... or maybe not!

Sigh....

Went 15 hours... then two random reboots, both while the phone was in my purse and not being used....

Last edited:

scarfinv

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
hmmm.. any other electronics in your purse that could be attacking your device? Other guess is that your problem occurs when the signal is especially difficult to access/receive.
I wondered about that... but I don't think so. I'm on Wi-fi at home, but due to a forest behind my house, 3G signal is weak inside my house... but usually okay as soon as I'm outdoors.

Did some more googling, and found that loose sim cards may also cause random reboots.

Sometimes my reboots happen when my phone is completely still, but other times (such as after the phone has been put in my purse), perhaps the phone moving causes the issue.

I checked my sim card, and it definitely had a lot of play within the slot. I've inserted a little wedge of paper to tighten things up.

I'll see how that goes...

If I still have problems, I may visit Rogers and ask for a new Sim card... since the one I have is quite old.

scarfinv

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I wondered about that... but I don't think so. I'm on Wi-fi at home, but due to a forest behind my house, 3G signal is weak inside my house... but usually okay as soon as I'm outdoors.

Did some more googling, and found that loose sim cards may also cause random reboots.

Sometimes my reboots happen when my phone is completely still, but other times (such as after the phone has been put in my purse), perhaps the phone moving causes the issue.

I checked my sim card, and it definitely had a lot of play within the slot. I've inserted a little wedge of paper to tighten things up.

I'll see how that goes...

If I still have problems, I may visit Rogers and ask for a new Sim card... since the one I have is quite old.
Lasted about two hours. In fact, probably not the sim card. While I had the phone on, took the sim card in and out, and phone didn't reboot! lol

Back to the drawing board....

scarfinv

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Replaced my SIM card (which was very old)... and random reboots still happening. A couple times overnight, a couple times today during the day.

scarfinv

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
At the same time I was having problems charging my phone. It would think it wasn't plugged in when it was. It got to the point where I'd have to take a fully charged battery from my husband's phone, and then he'd charge mine. And the random reboots continued...

I concluded that my phone was going through a slow death... I picked up another (brand-new, unopened package) Samsung Focus from Kijiji for $200. Loaded it up, and I haven't had to reboot my phone since applying all the updates to it - 3 full weeks now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb