No proper bluetooth WTF!!

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So I took some photos to test the camera and was planning to upload some to here.

I am at work so thought I would simply bluetooth them to my works laptop - uh oh now I find that I cannot share via bluetooth and when hooking up phone to laptop it only comes up as Voice.

A google later and I find that WP7 does not have bluetooth file transfer!!

This is crazy, I used to laugh at people with iphones when they couldn't do this and now I find my brand new handset is not capable of doing something that has been standard in pretty much every phone for the last ten years.

This is seriously impacting on my WP7 experience, I often send files / pictures / videos to my friends and family.

MS Support says to upload to Skydrive and use PC to access and share - kind of against the point of having a mobile phone with an all wonderful OS in my opinion!!!
Guess I should of researched a bit more instead of expecting something like this as standard.
:mad:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes it was a surprise to me too, it's no biggie for me, but this is the first mobile phone i've had, and i've had many, that doesn't support Bluetooth file or contact tansfer.

Strange omission indeedy me thinks shaunydub.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I didn't know this until recently (because I never need this) but it is odd. I think it has something to do with copyrights (I think I read that somewhere), still, regardless of the reason, it sucks.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
While you should've done your research, I don't blame you for assuming that new smartphones would have decent BT.

There are workarounds (texts, emails, skydrive) that will share everything from your phone, but they aren't great.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I did lots of research before deciding to change to WP7, I never saw this mentioned in a single review on places like engadget or gsmarena to name a couple.
I read the spec sheets and assumed that bt 2.1 meant it was fully specced, nothing to indicate it wasn't on HTC spec sheet.

The work arounds are kinda defeating the point of BT - someone wants a picture or ringtone but you can't quickly send it, you have to email or upload it and send them a link to your sharedrive...all are ok except when you want to do it there and then and also not rely on signal or wifi.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's not something that sticks out for many people - I didn't know about it either until I tried transferring some files via BT. I didn't care all that much b/c I don't do it often and I use skydrive a ton, but I think it's definitely a feature that should be included.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am loving Skydrive, just a pity no one I know has a WP.
I managed to convert most people I know away from iphone& now I don't think I will be able to get them away from Android. lol

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping that the *ango update($) would implement OBEX capabilities... Mango didn't so here's hoping for Tango.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234