Flashing Omnia 7 (Debranding)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I tried this yesterday just to verify it works OK, and it does. :)

It's an old debranded Omnia 7 UK firmware.

If you are fed up waiting for the T-Mobile Mango update this will work fine.

Bear in mind your phone will be wiped and you will lose everthing on it.

Just thought i'd post just incase anyone on T-Mobile is fed up waiting on their Mango and wants to give it a go.

But please remember, it's all done at your own risk.

How to: Update T-Mobile UK Omnia 7 to Mango/7.5 | Callumpy

Once you flash the Omnia, Zune will install the previous updates and finally Mango. :)

If the T-Mobile Mango update is actually out, please just ignore this update method and do it the easy way. :)

anon(5327487)

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
So I caved in and followed this exact guide a couple of days ago. Initially, I was happy to wait for T-Mobile to roll out the update until I read that it may not be available until January... whether or not that is true, it was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. Anyway, the whole process is ridiculously simple and once the ROM is flashed, which takes literally 5 minutes, you can just leave your phone plugged in to your computer and Zune will do the rest. All in all, I had Mango running on my Omnia 7 within an hour.

As a side note, I have to say that I am really impressed with Microsoft. I've been reading various forums where people have been complaining about any number of things to do with the Mango update but, in truth, for an OS that has only been available for a year, WP7 is really starting to come in to its own. With everything that has been added with Mango, I'm amazed at how the OS is still so ridiculously intuitive and easy to use. With the right marketing, there is absolutely no reason why WP7 shouldn't be able to compete with Android and iOS.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That's good it worked for you DubiousPig i don't think the T-Mobile Mango update will be as late as January.

Hope not anyway for anyone who's a little unsure or brave enough to use the above method.

It really is simple though as you have discovered. Thanks for confirming it worked for you too. :)

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This is great info WeeBear! Could u confirm if this method of updating to mango avoids the issue of not having the firmware updated appropriately, or do all mango apps work fine on the omnia 7 after using this update process?

T-mobile uk user here, who quite frankly is fed up now with the mango update wait time!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi karupin101 it will remove all t-mobile branding and of course everything on the phone will be wiped.

When i flashed my Omnia, it did give me the latest firmware so compass apps etc in Mango work fine.

Everything is hunky dory for me karupin101 and good luck if you give it a go. :)

(It gives you about 3 updates starting with nodo, the security updates then Mango, so bear in mind it's not a 2 minute update lol)

Just the usual warning of course, as you know it's all done at your own risk karupin101. :)

Let us know your outcome if you are brave. :)

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
WeeBear, ur really making it hard for me to not take this option for updating my Omnia7. Do u know if there is anyway I can back up my current phones rom so in the case of warranty and having to return the phone, (have only had it for 3months) I would be able to reflash it back to the original stock rom.

Thanks for all ur invaluable help WeeBear.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
WeeBear, ur really making it hard for me to not take this option for updating my Omnia7. Do u know if there is anyway I can back up my current phones rom so in the case of warranty and having to return the phone, (have only had it for 3months) I would be able to reflash it back to the original stock rom.

Thanks for all ur invaluable help WeeBear.
You're welcome karupin101, the only ROMS i know of that exist are clean retail ones karupin101. (Non carrier) There was a T-Mobile one i tried a while back but it was german.
I've never came across anything to back up your ROM unfortunately.

I take it T-Mobile still haven't pulled their finger out ? :(

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I take it T-Mobile still haven't pulled their finger out ? :(

No, they definitely have not. :( Oh well. I've got the afternoon off, gonna try this. I understand the risks involved. Just really frustrated at the lack of support and communication from t-mobile and not being able to install mango apps as they start to emerge on the marketplace. I definitely was looking forward to whatsapp, linked email inboxes, faster smoother UI, however I've just been left waiting with an indefinite date of update.

Not a happy bunny, :'(

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It really is quite straightfarward karupin101, just keep calm at the slow creeping up and stopping of the progress bar. It will get there eventually.

Wishing you well my friend. :)

Hope to hear soon you have it all covered in Mango juice.

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, failed at pretty much the first hurdle. At Step 4/5 of the link you gave WeeBear, I'm not getting the green COM Port showing in the Flashing Program.

Any help??

[Edit]

Ive tried pretty much every USB port on the back of my PC, no success, :(
Will try laptop later.

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just unplug the cable and pop it straight back in worked for me karupin101

(Don't worry, it hasn't started flashing yet so safe to disconnect and reconnect)

If that worked, you should then be able to click on the Start button.

(It's ghosted until the software sees the phone)

Last edited:

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just unplug the cable and pop it straight back in worked for me karupin101

(Don't worry, it hasn't started flashing yet so safe to disconnect and reconnect)

If that worked, you should then be able to click on the Start button.

(It's ghosted until the software sees the phone)

You're a star! (Working now!)

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so it's been flashed to unbranded ROM. Went suspiciously straight-forward :s . I just need to get my phone and data settings sent to the phone from T-Mobile uk.

Once thats done, I'm going down the mango update route, aww yeah!

Thanks WeeBear!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Install the network profile tool from the samsung zone and set it to automatic or select t mobile and you should be ok karupin101.

(Do all your updates first then the network profile tool will update too)

Have you installed 7720 already ?

If not, Zune should just keep checking for upates till it gets to Mango.

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Install the network profile tool from the samsung zone and set it to automatic or select t mobile and you should be ok karupin101.

(Do all your updates first then the network profile tool will update too)

Have you installed 7720 already ?

If not, Zune should just keep checking for upates till it gets to Mango.

Thanks for that info, even with the network profile tool from samsung installed, I'm having some issue with my network settings. Before I was able to go into settings, then mobile network, and be able to toggle 3G on and off. Now this option is not enabled, :( Also whenever my network signal would get very low, (basically in and around my home) it would automatically switch to a stronger signal on Orange. That's not happening right now, so I'm trying to get through to T-Mobile on the phone. Like when I first received the Omnia 7, I had the same problems, one phone call to T-Mobile and they sent the relevant settings to the phone and it sorted it. I'm hoping they'll do the same this time round....

Not updated to 7720 yet, from what I understand, its a lengthy process and I've got to pop out for the next few hours and need my phone. Will probably try it when I get back in if it isnt too late.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
OK karupin there are settings for your data connection to enable roaming or not.
(Settings / Mobile Network / Data Roaming Options)

Sorry if you have already tried this.

Hope you have success later on with obtaining your Mango update. :)

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so update on the whole upgrading. Flashing unbranded ROM went smoothly. When connecting to Zune it automatically prompted me to update to NoDo. Right, fine.....

No, Mango, update...... Zune is telling me the phone is up to date at version 7.0 (7392) Am I missing a step, surely this was the whole point of upgrading to a non-branded rom, so that I wouldnt be held back by T-mobile in upgrading to Mango?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thats strange why it wouldnt update to Nodo karupin101 mine did. Glad you thought of the forced method.

I know you probably think it's been a lot of hassle for you, but who knows how long it would be untill you got Mango from T Mobile.

Hope to hear your good news soon LOL :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786