Its 4.7 TOO big?

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
What is your thoughts? Great looking, slcd is nice, great specs, performance, best OS, great build, great camera, fantastic device but....is 4.7 TOO big?

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to say. I got really used to 4.0 now, and I can't imagine a 4.7", but it really depends on how it feels and how it fits in the pocket.

I'm more concerned about the resolution and how the screen looks than the size of it.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to use it, but the HD2 was no problem for me, I'd expect I'd be able to handle this just fine. It's definitely not for everyone though.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
What alot of people do to try and imagine what a 4.7 inch screen phone would feel like is draw and cut out on a piece of cardboard or card-stock the height and width of the device and try to play around with it. Like hold it up to your ear to see what it would look like to talk on it, see how well it would fit in your pocket, etc. If you plan on doing this the specifications for such phone are:

5.18 x 2.78 x 0.39 in inches or
131.5 x 70.7 x 9.9 mm in millimeters

Also, someone said about the screen resolution. The other day phonearena posted up some pictures of up close shots of the screens of the Galaxy Note, Galaxy SII, HTC Titan, and the iphone. Here is that article for you to see:

Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus sport HD Super AMOLED - is the PenTile matrix bad for you?

This is the picture you want to pay attention to:

image from Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus sport HD Super AMOLED - is the PenTile matrix bad for you?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If your going from a small phone, "iphone, palm pre" then it's going to feel huge. But going from a 4.3" to a 4.7" won't feel as bad. I can't wait to hold it!

ecthroi

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
What alot of people do to try and imagine what a 4.7 inch screen phone would feel like is draw and cut out on a piece of cardboard or card-stock the height and width of the device and try to play around with it. Like hold it up to your ear to see what it would look like to talk on it, see how well it would fit in your pocket, etc. If you plan on doing this the specifications for such phone are:

5.18 x 2.78 x 0.39 in inches or
131.5 x 70.7 x 9.9 mm in millimeters

Also, someone said about the screen resolution. The other day phonearena posted up some pictures of up close shots of the screens of the Galaxy Note, Galaxy SII, HTC Titan, and the iphone. Here is that article for you to see:

Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus sport HD Super AMOLED - is the PenTile matrix bad for you?

This is the picture you want to pay attention to:

image from Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus sport HD Super AMOLED - is the PenTile matrix bad for you?

interesting. the Note seems the best to my eyes, with the iPhone 4 next, then GS2, then Titan being the weakest up close. that being said, i don't think there's much of a difference between the SG2 and the Titan, really. SG2 seems to be a slight bit better though. the clear winner is the Note, i'm sure everyone who looks at that could see. but that's expected.

what i found interesting in the pictures is how 'white' the Titan looks when compared to the other phones, particularly in the photo of all 4 lined up in descending size order. the whites of the webpage background just seems clearer and nicer, they others seem blue tinted almost.

i'm not a smartphone expert by any stretch, or anything of the sort. just my impressions!

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If I wanted something that big I would just get a tablet. :cool:

Honestly, if they offer the Galaxy Note over here by the holidays I will very much consider it and I think end up wanting it. I am in love with big screens, and I don't talk much on my phone anyways so it wouldn't seem that weird. It would just be a matter if it would fit in my pocket.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It's actually not to big at all. I went to see it when it came out here as that was a main concern of mine that it would be a huge monster.

It was sitting there next to the other phones and I had to look twice to check that it was in fact the Titan.

It fit's in your hand fine and after seeing it in the flesh the size is fine, not too big at all. (IMO)

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
It's subjective of course. For me, I think it's at or very close to my limit. Not much more and I'd consider it to be in hybrid smartphone/tablet territory.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Having gone from Desire > SG2 > Titan I don't notice the size at all.
I have had the phone for about a month now and have had no problems with the size.
It fits well in the hand and is comfortable to hold and type on.
I even had a rubber protective case around it and even the extra 2-3mm this adds doesn't cause an issue.

I have read people's views on resolution and I don't notice in day to day use.
How many times do people really zoom in as much as possible on a letter on a website to notice the things people have spotted in reviews?

For me size is good, screen is good inside and outside, battery is excellent & I am happy with the phone.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Note is too big. I cut a sample to exact size of the Titan and the Note. I have a CAD table that cuts Corrugated so they were as exact as the dimensions found on the web could be considered. The Note was a bit too big. When in my Jeans pocket the top of the phone was above the bottom swoop in opening of the pocket. The Titan is in line or slightly below that swoop. I sat down in my desk chair and was able to get it out by simply leaning back slightly just as I do with my iPhone. And its not slick or curved so that would help. I held the Note to my ear and it felt a bit funny. Too big. Too wide. Just didn't feel natural. The titan is no problem for me. Feels fine. Looking at comparisons online it seems pretty much the limit of size for a phone. My iphone exterior dimensions are about the size of the screen on the titan. :) That is what makes me grin the most.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would too. I just wonder if it's actually any good at taking real notes. Not just BS phrases.
Honestly, if they offer the Galaxy Note over here by the holidays I will very much consider it and I think end up wanting it. I am in love with big screens, and I don't talk much on my phone anyways so it wouldn't seem that weird. It would just be a matter if it would fit in my pocket.
They say it is equal to using a pen. But I'll have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I would too. I just wonder if it's actually any good at taking real notes. Not just BS phrases.

They say it is equal to using a pen. But I'll have to see it to believe it.

I know that is one of the other reasons I liked the Note. I mean you never really think about how handy that stylus is until they show what all it could do. That's what I honestly wish Windows Phone would come out with. It would be great to be able to annotate notes that are in Word or Excel. And now you are seeing in the ICS the native support for a stylus. Idk, I just wish we could have our own Note. I think it would be awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss