This is what I want from Nokia for the US

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Quite surprised that so many here are looking for 4" screens.

As opposed to what? Personally, 3.5" is my ideal. I don't really like holding half a net-book against my face.

Take an E7, bump up the RAM, screen resolution, and give me a tiered storage package (my Zune 120 is FULL, I'd like more than 16GB of storage please!).

+1! I want an E7 with the micro SD slot intact and functional, 480X800 screen, Gorilla Glass, and the N8 Camera and FM transmitter.

MS needs to take the hint on the expandable memory thing. I had more memory capacity on my old e71 than I do on my Quantum. That's just sad.

I don't need some crazy processor, or enough RAM to back bone an FPS LAN party. I really don't care about ff cameras, and I will never trust or want to have anything to do with a "digital wallet." More screen res is always nice, but 480X800 is fine in my book, it's much more important that it's done right - eg. Super AMOLEAD, Gorilla Glass, Polariser, etc..

As for a 1900MaH battery, sure, but I don't think you're gonna get it out of anything other than Li-Poly (or a needlessly thicker phone). Frankly, I don't like the idea of holding Li-Poly batteries that close to my head. What I would be much more interested in seeing is Nokia bringing to market LiFePO4 chemistry batteries like those being used in the cordless power tool industry these days (eg A-123 systems, etc.). The energy density is less, but you can SAFELY rapid charge the living H*!! out of them. They also have much less degradation of capacity over time and are less susceptible to parasitic loss. They would also hold up better (and remain physically cooler) under the strains of higher amperage drain rates you find in all this streaming and multi-tasking we're doing (or in running a WiFi hotspot once somebody hacks that for that matter ;-b )

Still, more important to me (and notably lacking from Nokia's N8, E7, N9, and Lumia) is user swappable batteries. Oh sure, I know it's a quick mini-screwdriver away with these devices unlike Apple's sealed, glued and soldered approach, but what I mean is, "hey, my battery's getting low, I'll pull another one out of my bag and swap it out. Problem solved!" I don't work in an office. I like to have multiple batteries and stand-alone chargers for them. I keep a spare brick in my car, my bag, and on the charger at home. This way, I'm never that dude running around trying to micro-charge my phone in 5 min increments just to keep it going. The reality of modern smart phones is that their capabilities are such that a friggin 4000 mAh battery could be drained in a couple hrs of heavy use. Why mfg.s are moving to sealed battery compartments both bewilders and angers me.

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Even more than the above physical stuff though, I'd like to see Nokia bring some of the software & GUI stuff that made Symbian great over to WP7. Notably:

1. Phone profiles. Pre-Set and customizable phone configuration states that allow user to quickly put phone into settings including Ring tone, ring volume, alert tone, alert volume, key input volume on/off, haptic feedback on/off, vibrate on/off, screen flashing during call or incoming msg on/off , WiFi on/off, bluetooth on/off, 3G/4G on/off, roaming on/off, etc.

2. Custom Alert tones

3. Ability to set volume for ring, alerts, music playback, speakerphone, and talk volume INDEPENDENTLY of one another

4. Ability to rename the shortcuts to apps in the secondary menu.

5. A setting to make the top bar (battery life, signal strength, BT, WiFi, time, etc. ALWAYS VIEWABLE!

I know, I know it's a crazy concept to expect my phone to do things that a circa 1999 Nokia 8210 could do, but I do still use these things as phones you know?

6. What Nokia calls "Unified MMS/SMS editor plus conversational view for SMS" on their specs for N8/E7. Basically the ability to see SMS/MMS in the classic single msg/folders view as well as conversational view. Single msg is much more useful for fwd'ing msg's, and for searching for a msg from one of a group of people that you know came at a certain time, but aren't sure of sender. I like and mostly use conversational view just as I did on my symbian phone through the iSMS app, but having the ability to see and use via folders incoming, sent, draft, failed, and outbox is useful. I miss having it.

7. Same goes for call history. I like the WP7.5 unified call history, but I miss having the ability to see outgoing, incoming, and missed calls independent of one another - it is easier and faster to call back missed calls this way.

8. Haptic feedback at startup. Nice when you have to reset a phone while driving or doing something else.

9. Bluetooth - ability to nick name devices. Pretty helpful when you have more than one. Esp. when you have more than one of same. For example, I have two jawbones. They both read as "jawbone." Great, so which one is which? Am I connected to the fresh one or the dead battery one?

10. Physical Keyboard specific gripes:
- Start searching phone book as soon as I type a letter on physical keyboard
- Dbl click on CAPS or fn to lock on.
- Pressing down or up takes you to beginning of the line when at top or bottom of page

11. A better browser. One with actual back and fwd buttons, and a home page, and maybe a customizable splash page. You know, something like a real browser. Also, the ability to set whether I prefer to view mobile or full web pages. Basically I want my Opera Mobile back...

12. Ability to actually close apps. I don't give a hoot how efficient the save state thing is. I don't want to hold down back key to bring up apps then scroll through a bunch of apps I'm not using that should just be closed.

13. Lastly, FOLDERS AND REAL MULTI-TASKING! Are you kidding me MS? Didn't you people more or less invent folders based GUI? WTF?

The last three are MS things and it's unrealistic to think a Nokia sub-build can change them, but I really hope the other stuff is done.

Last edited:

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing, I find myself wanting bigger specs for the sole reason of having bigger specs, mostly to brag about to my iOS/Android friends. I know for a fact that WP doesn't in any way need dual core or that amount of RAM. It's just being able to advertise specs like that would maybe prove to be effective.

The reason people want their phones over specced is to future proof their phones for 2 years. I don't want a phone that I just spent $199-$399 on contract (forget off contract) to run out of steam at 18 mos. In fact, I would like it to last longer than 2 years if possible. To do that I want LTE (Verizon and soon ATT), lots of memory (32GB min, 64 GB would be better) - especially since WP7 is NOT expandable. While I know WP7 runs smooth if the OS is properly optimized dual core can save batteries and it always speeds up Web Browsing. Personally, looking at the Retina Display on the iPhone and the new Super Amoled Advance qHD on the Moto RAZR it is hard to look at WVGA on the WP7.

JMHO and YMMMV

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
12. Ability to actually close apps. I don't give a hoot how efficient the save state thing is. I don't want to hold down back key to bring up apps then scroll through a bunch of apps I'm not using that should just be closed.

13. Lastly, FOLDERS AND REAL MULTI-TASKING! Are you kidding me MS? Didn't you people more or less invent folders based GUI? WTF?

The last three are MS things and it's unrealistic to think a Nokia sub-build can change them, but I really hope the other stuff is done.

I agree everything except 12 and 13. Ok. With 13 you need 12, but 12?

Here is the deal: Everytime you exit an app in WP7, it's indeed closed. Only the background agent associated with that app is running, if any. That's why you don't need to close app manually. The pseudo-multitasking view is more like the last-opened apps view on iPhone.

So again, 12 and 13 are actually combined.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Specs for the sake of it is probably a concept to try and steer clear of - leave that for the Android crowd to constantly crow about the latest, greatest .. but poorly implemented... features!

Nevertheless, the Lumia 710 and 800 are just what Nokia were able to push out in 8 months, and lets not forget that many other WP7 vendors aren't really pushing it as their primary platform, preferring instead to flood the marketplace with Android handsets. Nokia however, are pushing WP7 as their main platform, so to those looking for better specs I'd say - just give it more time. Nokia will surely have plans to release their own flood of WP7 handsets.

We already know that Nokia are looking to release plenty of handsets at various price points, so we can probably expect to see something for everyone, ranging from entry-level handsets for those on a budget, right up to top-end handsets with big screens and high performance components.

As for the Lumia 800 .. well, yeah, some might see the lack of FFC, NFC, or more storage as dissapointment, but remember with WP7 you can play to it's strengths in other ways. For example, my current iPhone (which I'm planning to switch away from to get the 800) has about 6GB of photos on it at present. Now that would soak up quite a bit of the 800's 16GB memory - but, I don't need to! Thanks to SkyDrive I can just dump all my photos into 'the cloud' and they'll be there for me on my 800 when I get it, all integrated into the UI's main photo experience :)

So, yeah - better specs will be coming, but I'm not going to let that stop me jumping on board now. WP7's excellent features makes a spec-war less relevant.

--
Rallicat

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
...12. Ability to actually close apps. I don't give a hoot how efficient the save state thing is. I don't want to hold down back key to bring up apps then scroll through a bunch of apps I'm not using that should just be closed.

13. Lastly, FOLDERS AND REAL MULTI-TASKING! Are you kidding me MS? Didn't you people more or less invent folders based GUI? WTF?...
I agree everything except 12 and 13. Ok. With 13 you need 12, but 12?

Here is the deal: Everytime you exit an app in WP7, it's indeed closed. Only the background agent associated with that app is running, if any. That's why you don't need to close app manually. The pseudo-multitasking view is more like the last-opened apps view on iPhone.

So again, 12 and 13 are actually combined.

Well, the desire for folders is separate from what you are talking about. Folder tiles and folders in the app list or the ability to change the names (or nickname) the apps in the app list would make me much happier with the GUI.

As for the closing. I understand the whole save state deal. Here's the prob, only 6 items show up when I hold down back to get that pseudo multi-tasking view, so if I'm going back and forth between say maps, music, browser, a wikipedia client app, and a couple of news apps or reading apps (kindle, freda, whatever), then I take a phone call or send a text and it pushes one of them out of save state and I have to re-open it from scratch. Also, if I want to do something quick, it then clutters up my "multi-tasking" view with stuff I no longer want to use like a calculator, unit converter, news app that I just wanted to check real quick and close, email clients that I wanted to check and am done with.

Basically, the simple ability to "close" the app in the "multitasking" ahead of it becoming the 6th last app and getting bumped out would allow me to use the feature more like real multi-tasking, even if it is not.

How is it that Symbian series 40 had multitasking like 5 years ago, and WP7 and iOS are still giving us this bs save state thing...

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, the desire for folders is separate from what you are talking about. Folder tiles and folders in the app list or the ability to change the names (or nickname) the apps in the app list would make me much happier with the GUI.

As for the closing. I understand the whole save state deal. Here's the prob, only 6 items show up when I hold down back to get that pseudo multi-tasking view, so if I'm going back and forth between say maps, music, browser, a wikipedia client app, and a couple of news apps or reading apps (kindle, freda, whatever), then I take a phone call or send a text and it pushes one of them out of save state and I have to re-open it from scratch. Also, if I want to do something quick, it then clutters up my "multi-tasking" view with stuff I no longer want to use like a calculator, unit converter, news app that I just wanted to check real quick and close, email clients that I wanted to check and am done with.

Basically, the simple ability to "close" the app in the "multitasking" ahead of it becoming the 6th last app and getting bumped out would allow me to use the feature more like real multi-tasking, even if it is not.

How is it that Symbian series 40 had multitasking like 5 years ago, and WP7 and iOS are still giving us this bs save state thing...

That part I agree, but I think they relay the responsibility of quick-resume on the developers to take advantage of Mango and make their apps quick-resume.

Which one is more efficient I am not sure, but I am so used to BB's real multitasking and would like to see the real multitasking on WP7(8) as well. =)

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
As opposed to what? Personally, 3.5" is my ideal. I don't really like holding half a net-book against my face.

What i meant to say was that i'm surprised so many in this community is wanting larger than 4" screens.
For me the 3.9" on N9 is absolutely perfect as partly because of the screen ratio also the width and round edges make it easy to use one handed. 800 will feature a bit smaller screen indeed, but at least the size of the device is identical.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos