Am I going to have to stand in line for this phone

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
or do you think ATT stores across the country will carry enough stock? This seems like a non-event for almost everyone so I am hoping to get my phone with relative ease.

Thoughts?

Jowiso

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
This seems like a non-event for almost everyone

This.

Don't get me wrong - I really like Windows Phone OS, and I'm hoping to pick up a device soon (I'm sick of the iPhone). But I'd be surprised to see much of a line for this phone for a few reasons.

First, the OS isn't that high in demand right now (I'm not saying that it SHOULDN'T be, though!).

Second, there really hasn't been any marketing behind this phone. No commercials, no advertisements, no hands-on videos online (except one). People probably just don't know this device is coming.

Third, AT&T is launching their first LTE devices (Android, of course) on that same day. I think many of the store-goers will be after those.

Heck - I hope I'm wrong. I really can't wait to get a WP device, and I hope this generation of devices gives it the push it needs! But, I think you should have a relatively easy time getting your hands on one of these.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Left iPhone 4 for Samsung Focus i july, great decision. You will love the WP side of the fence.

Buy a WP and get it over with already! Honestly what are you waiting for???

Jowiso

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Ha - waiting for THIS phone, as a matter of fact. If it lives up to my expectations, which I think it will, I'll probably be walking out of the store with the Focus S on Sunday.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that there will be a line out the door for this phone. The worst you will encounter is the usual hustle and bustle that is the AT&T store, and some customers that want to get the new HTC Vivid or Samsung Skyrocket, devices that are also being released on the 6th.

As others have said, most people don't know this phone exists, and many don't even know that Windows Phone exists; if it isn't an Apple device, most people aren't going to be freaking out over it.

I know that I will be outside my AT&T store right as they open on Sunday at 12:00, so I can get my hands on some Focus S goodness as soon as possible.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
or do you think ATT stores across the country will carry enough stock? This seems like a non-event for almost everyone so I am hoping to get my phone with relative ease.

Thoughts?

You're correct, it is a non-event. I doubt there will be any crowd at all. Maybe a few people waiting for it.

Correct me if I am wrong, I thought you returned all your Windows7 phones? Aren't you looking now for something else?

Addendum:
There are a few other phones being released on the 6th: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/31/...st-lte-smartphones-to-life-htc-vivid-and-sam/

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You're correct, it is a non-event. I doubt there will be any crowd at all. Maybe a few people waiting for it.

Correct me if I am wrong, I thought you returned all your Windows7 phones? Aren't you looking now for something else?

Addendum:
There are a few other phones being released on the 6th: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/31/...st-lte-smartphones-to-life-htc-vivid-and-sam/

Yes I returned my WP7 phones, but only because I was disappointed with the first gen devices i had tried and I knew that there were newer devices coming. I also wanted to return within my 30-day return window.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Addendum:
There are a few other phones being released on the 6th: AT&T to expand 4G coverage and launch first LTE smartphones November 6th: HTC Vivid, Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket -- Engadget

I would be very surprised if I saw more than 5 other people at my store upon opening.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
There won't be a line, what so ever, but I do believe there will probably be more interest when the Titan comes out.

Consumers see LTE and dual-core processors and 1000x1000 (exaggeration) resolution screens and go crazy...

The Focus is supposedly the best selling WP device and yet, I have yet to see one in public. I see the HD7, LG Quantum and Arrive.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
There won't be a line, what so ever, but I do believe there will probably be more interest when the Titan comes out.

Consumers see LTE and dual-core processors and 1000x1000 (exaggeration) resolution screens and go crazy...

The Focus is supposedly the best selling WP device and yet, I have yet to see one in public. I see the HD7, LG Quantum and Arrive.

I have seen a handful of Focus' in public. You have to realize, that while the Focus is the best selling WP device, Windows phone only represents 1% of the mobile market.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No, you will not experience a line, only the same feeling as waiting in a doctor's office. Normally when I go into AT&T it feels like I am waiting a half hour until I finally see someone.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
No, you will not experience a line, only the same feeling as waiting in a doctor's office. Normally when I go into AT&T it feels like I am waiting a half hour until I finally see someone.

It always seems like I have a different experience each time I go to the AT&T store. I've gone in and have gotten helped the second I walked in the door sometimes, others I have had to wait for 30 minutes to an hour. You never know what to expect when you pull up to the store.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
It always seems like I have a different experience each time I go to the AT&T store. I've gone in and have gotten helped the second I walked in the door sometimes, others I have had to wait for 30 minutes to an hour. You never know what to expect when you pull up to the store.

I went to the one in my town this weekend and it is pretty large and was empty. There were a couple people standing at the door to assist. In fact all of the stroes in my town are pretty empty when I drive by.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
You'll never have any difficulty getting your hands on a new Windows phone for the time being. Unfortunately, no one cares about the platform as of yet. And as someone pointed out, people aren't interested until they hear DUAL CORE LTE 300 GB RAM PROCESSOR WITH LASER BEAMS! Which is pretty much what happens in stores with the sales guys. They use phrases like "Oh, this phone ONLY has a single core processor..." without really understanding what any of this means.

KG363

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Would it be likely to be available in every store? I have an AT&T store close by here in Tallahassee, FL and It'd be great to know ahead of time. I've lived in Miami my whole life and I'm just used to the major stores.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well now that there will be 5 other phones released on the 6th... We may have a bit of a line for the Focus S.

hubgoblin

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The guy I talked to had no idea. I guess I'll just wait

Which guy? Ask to speak to a manager. Explain that ATT has a facebook page advertising the phone for that date and is there anyway he can check to see if they're getting stock. If you still get a "duh" response, then worst case scenario you just have a few more days until you find out for yourself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte