S must stand for "snoooozer"

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
With only 16gb on board and no microsd, .3" more on the screen and 3 extra mp in the camera aren't enough of a draw to get the S. Ffc camera is also six of one half doz of the other for me.

My phone is plenty fast so 4g isn't a deal breaker either. This could've been the super phone that would've made it very tough on Nokia to get WP penetration in the states.

Now, its hurry up and wait to see what Lumia model is coming stateside in March.

Mangos taste better than apples!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
No 32g= :(

Say it aint so Burt...

I hate to disagree with my BFFF but I will have this phone in my hands by lets say 12:30 pm Central time Sunday.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I still don't get why everyone is making such a huge deal about storage. But I guess coming from 60 some MB on my Blackberry, this seems unlimited.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have everything on my HD7S all my music, pod casts, photos all of it and I am only at 5G used I still have 9.43G available so the 16G isn't an issue for me.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
If you follow 2-year upgrade cycles like most people, the Focus S should only be a half upgrade from the Focus, which is what it sounds like to you, so I wouldn't have been surprised. Either way, the Focus S is nothing to sneeze at. If I didn't have a WP yet and I were on AT&T, I wouldn't mind getting on the upgrade cycle with it (though, really, it'd have to compete with the Titan first).

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The 16GB is only going to really be for your music and apps. That's about it. Remember, it is going to have SkyDrive so all of your photos, videos, and documents could be on that instead of your actual device.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
See, every once in a while I forget my iPod for the fitness outfit that I own, and I need a pretty good variety of music bases on the time of day. Right now with the SD card, my Focus has a ton of "oh baby diaper contents" music on it.

That's why having more memory is a priority. If it wasn't for that, 16gb would be plenty. Only have that much in my iPod nano, so I've already been there.

I'm just spoiled by the Focus!

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
See, every once in a while I forget my iPod for the fitness outfit that I own, and I need a pretty good variety of music bases on the time of day. Right now with the SD card, my Focus has a ton of "oh baby diaper contents" music on it.

That's why having more memory is a priority. If it wasn't for that, 16gb would be plenty. Only have that much in my iPod nano, so I've already been there.

I'm just spoiled by the Focus!

Just wait for Spotify, then you don't have to worry about music storage either.

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
Previously owning a iPhone4, Focus, SGSII, and an iPhone4S I can say that the Focus S is a pretty significant upgrade to the Focus all around.

While 4" I think is a sweet spot for screen size, 4.3" is pretty solid. The Super AMOLED+ screen its absolutely stunning and will run laps around the quality of the Focus screen.

No MICROSD sucks, but its obvious that this "option" is something M$ doesn't care for too much.

If the optics on the 8 MP cam are similar to that of the SGSII then its a KILLER camera....front facing camera's are great for video chat.....if the service is good enough like facetime is.

The form factor is very nice to hold in the hand, not too small, not too big since its basically a SGSII.

If you are buying your first WP I'd say Focus S all the way.....if you have the original Focus and think you can hold out to see what Nokia has, I would think about waiting. But the hardware of the Focus S is damn hard to resist! The screen size of the Nokia 800 is a drag to me, the iPhone type screen size just doesn't cut it!!

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
16 gb with no SD slot is almost definitely a deal breaker for me.

I don't want to have to use up my data plan streaming or downloading from the skydrive things I should be able to store on the phone.

ETA: I'm going to have to seriously consider whether 16 gb is enough, but it isn't looking good.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
16 gb with no SD slot is almost definitely a deal breaker for me.

I don't want to have to use up my data plan streaming or downloading from the skydrive things I should be able to store on the phone.

ETA: I'm going to have to seriously consider whether 16 gb is enough, but it isn't looking good.

Well first of all, you could say the same thing about just downloading apps and stuff regularly. That's why you use wi-fi for big things. Secondly, you wouldn't be downloading you would just be in a way streaming or viewing it from skydrive. It would be the same thing as looking up a picture or video on the internet. I doubt you would be using the full 2 GB of data a month by doing that unless you were showing someone your entire photo album every single day. And again, I would only do that if you were somehow running out of space on your mobile phone. I really doubt you guys use 16 GB of anything. I have heard of people that need 64 GB iphones for their music, but I mean come on at some point you have got to realize that you don't listen to that much music or videos. In all honesty if I had that much music I would just create a Pandora account and just use that or a Spotify account (which I have both). Also, btw, there is Zune on the device which handles all of your music on the cloud as well. So, the only real thing that's on your phone is apps. And, if you are really a music fanatic or a video fanatic then maybe you should look at a different phone or buy a Galaxy Player 4.0 or 5.0.

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Well first of all, you could say the same thing about just downloading apps and stuff regularly. That's why you use wi-fi for big things. Secondly, you wouldn't be downloading you would just be in a way streaming or viewing it from skydrive. It would be the same thing as looking up a picture or video on the internet. I doubt you would be using the full 2 GB of data a month by doing that unless you were showing someone your entire photo album every single day. And again, I would only do that if you were somehow running out of space on your mobile phone. I really doubt you guys use 16 GB of anything. I have heard of people that need 64 GB iphones for their music, but I mean come on at some point you have got to realize that you don't listen to that much music or videos. In all honesty if I had that much music I would just create a Pandora account and just use that or a Spotify account (which I have both). Also, btw, there is Zune on the device which handles all of your music on the cloud as well. So, the only real thing that's on your phone is apps. And, if you are really a music fanatic or a video fanatic then maybe you should look at a different phone or buy a Galaxy Player 4.0 or 5.0.
I have a 32 gb Zune that is nearly full with music and audiobooks. Wifi is not available at my office. Pandora and the other cloud based options still use up data (I assume the amount it uses is on par with streaming MLB radio broadcasts which I do frequently and know how much data it uses), so yes it would eat up my data plan quickly, and therefore isn't an option.

ETA: I will be taking your final piece of advice, which is looking at different phones, but I won't be buying a separate music player. My goal is to consolidate devices, bot add to them.

Last edited:

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised to see people tearing up this phone. I think it is (or will be) the nicest Windows Phone out there. Is storage really that important that it can't be considered a "super phone" because of that?

And if you're waiting for Nokia to have something better, I think you'll be waiting for a long time.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
And if you're waiting for Nokia to have something better, I think you'll be waiting for a long time.

Or maybe not

Jo Harlow, Senior VP of Marketing for Nokia, told PC Magazine that ?Nokia will be launching new [Windows Phone] devices in a rhythm that might be ? something like every three months. We?re going to keep coming with new devices in order to have something to talk about." So expect new Nokia Windows Phones (like the Nokia Ace) to be announced sometime in January 2012!

Nokia on the future of Windows Phone: Tango, Apollo and beyond | LiveSide.net

16 GB is the size of the microSD card in my Focus. I think I'm gonna wait.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a 32 gb Zune that is nearly full with music and audiobooks. Wifi is not available at my office. Pandora and the other cloud based options still use up data (I assume the amount it uses is on par with streaming MLB radio broadcasts which I do frequently and know how much data it uses), so yes it would eat up my data plan quickly, and therefore isn't an option.

ETA: I will be taking your final piece of advice, which is looking at different phones, but I won't be buying a separate music player. My goal is to consolidate devices, bot add to them.

You could try buying a Samsung Focus off-contract. It costs $250 on Amazon brand new. Just put in your SIM card and update it to WP 7.5. You won't have the front facing camera or the faster processor (.5 ghz difference), but you will have a device with upgradeable memory and it will last you enough for Apollo next year. Maybe next year they will have devices that offer the Micro SD slot.

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You could try buying a Samsung Focus off-contract. It costs $250 on Amazon brand new. Just put in your SIM card and update it to WP 7.5. You won't have the front facing camera or the faster processor (.5 ghz difference), but you will have a device with upgradeable memory and it will last you enough for Apollo next year. Maybe next year they will have devices that offer the Micro SD slot.

That is my current plan. I'm checking out the original focus and the Dell Venue Pro (I'm comfortable voiding a warranty to add the card). I'm still going to the AT&T store today to play with the new ones though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo