Anyone having problems with the auto brightness?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it adjusts A LOT. Have you also had issues with the keyboard sound not being in sync with the presses on the keyboard?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I definitely do not miss my original Focus. This thing is too sexy and I'm thinking the auto brightness will save a ton of battery.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
The brightness changes too often if left in auto. It obviously needs work. However, I don't really mind, because I think I could easily get used to it. The other thing is that the screen is just so bright that I have been leaving in at low brightness in manual, and that is plenty for me.

If there is already an update available for this, that is amazing. Erike, I'm assuming that it was an app update that you saw, improving the extra settings. HTC has their "Attentive Phone" app that does not show up in the app list, but in the settings. I can only assume that it is the same thing here. I searched the Samsung Zone, and there is no such app that describes what the auto display intensity feature does. Of course, it is likely hidden. I'm hoping they get this resolved soon because there is little excuse for it, and it will likely be getting a bit of press.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the same problem with the auto brightness. I just turned the auto display intensity back on after the update, the problem with the screen is still there.

I have also noticed something else. With my old focus, the home screen would flash for a half a second when I woke up the phone if I had the auto brightness turned off. With the focus s, it seems to have been replaced with a half a second of grey, fuzzy lines. It's not all the time, but about 50% of the time. Anyone else noticing this? It's particularly noticable in darkness.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
It also seems that the setting for the auto display intensity resets to "on" if you reboot your phone.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

blurredvision

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
There are two auto-brightness settings on this phone that you have to be aware of. The first appears to be the universal settings for all WP7 phones, located at "Settings -> Brightness". On the Focus S, however, Samsung has added another auto-brightness setting, located all the way at the bottom at "Settings -> Extra Settings". The option is called, "User auto display intensity". Turn that off, it will solve the constantly changing backlight intensity when viewing white pages.

EDIT: I have both settings turned off and I have no issues with the constantly adjusting backlight. This is after updating the "extra settings" from the app store. I didn't notice that intensity setting until after I had updated.

Mr.Gription

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I also experienced a flickering brightness. I turned off the auto display intensity feature and see an improvement. My background is set to white.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I always turn off auto-brightness features. Battery life may be adversely affected, but having a consistent brightness is worth it to me.

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine dont seem to adjust at all..I checked the settings and it is set to Auto, maybe I just don't notice it. I do remember to see it alot on the focus though!

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
The "flickering" while the brightness is being adjusted or you are turning on/off your screen is NORMAL. All the Galaxy Android phones do this same thing. Not a defect....NOT! :) [maybe annoying though]

blurredvision

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
The "flickering" while the brightness is being adjusted or you are turning on/off your screen is NORMAL. All the Galaxy Android phones do this same thing. Not a defect....NOT! :) [maybe annoying though]

That's correct that it's not technically a defect but it's a poorly done effect. The changes in brightness are sudden and alarming, constantly changing as you scroll text on a white background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss