Focus S bug reports

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Ill start

If I turn off my Focus S and tap the Camera button within about 1 second the screen comes back on. I kept doing it I couldn't figure out what was going on. Anyone else have this bug?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
1. When you reboot the phone it automatically turns on the "auto display intensity"
2. The button to pause/play/next/previous on the earphone remote doesn't work
3. About 30% of the time, when waking up the phone it shows a fuzzy grey screen for a few seconds before showing the lock screen
4. Stuttering/slowdowns when connected to the micro usb cable

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
1. When you reboot the phone it automatically turns on the "auto display intensity"
3. About 30% of the time, when waking up the phone it shows a fuzzy grey screen for a few seconds before showing the lock screen

1. Good to know
2. I haven't tried the wired headset. Everything works fine on my Bluetooth headset though
3. Haven't seen that but I will look for it
4. I don't have this issue

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
4. I don't have this issue

I bet you do, but the real question is, do you notice? It seems more like a decrease in capacitive screen polling frequency (if that's even how it works) when plugged in. If you think of it like this, the "lag" may make more sense. Or you'll hate me forever.

Mr.Gription

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Yep, I just confirmed item 1 on my device.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt that's an actual bug. Probably a design choice to make sure the experience (i.e. battery life) is acceptable without the user having to even check that setting. Maybe overkill for most of us, but maybe not for some target customers.

How often do these phones need to be rebooted, anyway?

muffinsniffum

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the stuttering problem, with a twist: it seems my phone has the stutter/lag on the touch screen when charging, but it has also done this twice after I took it off the charger. When I reboot (unplugged) it returns to its ultra-responsive self.

Weird! I can't tell if this is a software, firmware, or hardware problem.

jarbs25

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Upside Down Recorded Video Playback

The most annoying thing I have seen is when video I record will play back upside down. The same video will at random play rightside up. I haven't seen this posted anywhere but both my wife and I have the same issue.

I don't know if it is related but these two phones will not show anything rightside up if the phone is held upside down.

Is anyone else having these issues or know what I am doing wrong?

UPDATE: You can force the video to play upside down if you rotate your phone clockwise onto its side and play once. Any time you play a video holding the phone upright after that the video will play upside down. It does this regardless of whether you play the video from the camera app or zune.

Last edited:

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset my focus S...charging lag gone?

I recently did a factory reset on my Focus S. Prior to this I had the stuttering/scroll lag when it was charging. I just started charging it with the wall charger and I noticed that my phone had no stuttering/scroll lag. Please let me know if you guys get the same result.

Last edited:

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Phone calls using a normal set of headphones (no mic attached), do not transmit voice (other side cannot hear you).

I used to make phone calls with either my ATH M50s or plugged in via AUX 3.5mm TRS input into my car stereo (makes a lot more sense on a noisey highway), with HTC Inspire, Aria; Moto Atrix; iPhone 3GS; Samsung Focus. Focus S is the odd toy out. If this is not fixed soon (aka: within my return period), I'll get a Titan instead (hoping that works, lol).

Asilentecho1

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
For me, there are three major bugs:

1. My Focus S will nto stay connected to Wifi networks. It frequently drops, but stays attached to the network, essentially giving me no data until I turn Wifi off and on again.

2. The keyboard lag is manageable, but annoying.

3. The screen continues to flicker rapidly, even when I have the brightness setting on high all the time.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

The button does work, but doesn't seem consistent with how it should work (and does work on other Windows Phones). I tested with the headset from my Focus and the ones that came with the Focus S on both the Focus S and Titan. It seems the Focus S requires a much longer hold to trigger the play/pause. However, I could never get the double click (forward) and triple click (reverse) to work on the Focus S (it worked fine on the Titan). Trying to do a double click on the Focus S with longer holds only ever got me a Pause followed by a play. Additionally a long hold does bring up the voice prompt on the Focus S.

This is a shame, as I found a Snowboard helmet and cable system that worked great with Windows Phone wired with a single button.

I've purchased a bunch of cheap Micro USB chargers and even with the Original Focus noticed issues with response while plugged in to certain chargers. I had one that I couldn't use the screen at ALL when plugged it, while others that would cause the screen to lag like you say. Does this happen when plugged into a Computer, the OEM (in the box) charger or another one?

ram020178

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I would like to add the Audio Bug - A huge issue during playback or any audio related operation with the phone connected to ACTIVE speakers - not when using most headphones or ear phones.

It really has something to do with the grounding, and the audio output port on the device. Samsung should expect a lot of returns based on this major defect - one just cannot use this device in the car for audio / mp3 playback unlike the iphones or any other smart phones.:mad:

howelltim206

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Shutting off

My Focus S keeps shutting off when I take it out of my pocket. After playing around with the phone I noticed that if I lightly bend the phone (putting one thumb by the windows button and one by the speaker). The phone will shutoff. I don't know if this is an issue with every phone or not. Is anyone else having this issue?

derfman

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
My focus s has recently started having an issue where, when I hit the power button to turn off the screen, it shuts off the screen and then turns it right back on with the wallpaper like I just turned it on. Sometimes happens half a dozen times in a row before it'll stay off.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
My focus s has recently started having an issue where, when I hit the power button to turn off the screen, it shuts off the screen and then turns it right back on with the wallpaper like I just turned it on. Sometimes happens half a dozen times in a row before it'll stay off.

check and make sure you don't have something pushing down on your camera button. Its a 2 stage button if it is slightly degressed it can cause this issue. Make sure your not accodently hitting it with your hand if you are using a case take it off and see if the issue goes away

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb