Does the Focus S exist?

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine on launch day. For the record, I love it.

I'm looking around online and I see almost no current info on it. There are no reviews, no news articles, nothing. With the exception of a few forum posts here and there, you wouldn't even know this phone existed. AT&T and Samsung didn't even really draw attention to it. It's like they're embarrassed that it exists or something.

And why aren't any of the tech sites or reviewers touching this phone? I know a lot of other phones were released around the same time, but they reviewed the Lumias right away and those aren't even being offered in the U.S. This is the first second gen WP7 device being offered in the U.S. and no one is talking about it? Really?

I blame a lot of people for this: AT&T, Samsung, Microsoft. Seems to me, there just isn't being enough done to advertise this phone or draw attention to it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I bought mine on launch day. For the record, I love it.

I'm looking around online and I see almost no current info on it. There are no reviews, no news articles, nothing. With the exception of a few forum posts here and there, you wouldn't even know this phone existed. AT&T and Samsung didn't even really draw attention to it. It's like they're embarrassed that it exists or something.

And why aren't any of the tech sites or reviewers touching this phone? I know a lot of other phones were released around the same time, but they reviewed the Lumias right away and those aren't even being offered in the U.S. This is the first second gen WP7 device being offered in the U.S. and no one is talking about it? Really?

I blame a lot of people for this: AT&T, Samsung, Microsoft. Seems to me, there just isn't being enough done to advertise this phone or draw attention to it.

I think everyone here agrees with you.

ScubaSteve2

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I went to my local AT&T store today, and there was a Windows Phone rep in there showing one of the sales reps about the new Windows Phones today. So at least on the local front it seems like they are trying to get there act together. But it was obvious that most sales reps in the AT&T stores are oblivious.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it either, since the focus flash was reviewed.

HOWEVER.... many sites have reviewed the Titan already, and the Focus Flash. All have also reviewed many Galaxy SII variants so far. Everything the Focus S review could cover, has been done before. We all already know RGB vs Pentile at this size, we all already know the MSM8255t performance. We all already have a good idea of camera performance (ISP in the MSM8255t may change it a lither bit).

So in general, it's the main flaw of WP7 - most are just WP7 versions of existing Android sets. Titan, Focus Flash, are somewhat unique, or at least launched before the Android versions. Focus S? We've seen it in Android form since March of this year.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just received a tweet from Aaron Baker at Phonedog. He said that they haven't seeded review units yet, which means that Samsung and AT&T really aren't even trying to sell/support this phone. Pretty sad.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it either, since the focus flash was reviewed

So in general, it's the main flaw of WP7 - most are just WP7 versions of existing Android sets. Titan, Focus Flash, are somewhat unique, or at least launched before the Android versions. Focus S? We've seen it in Android form since March of this year.

True. But how many clones are reviewed every year? Many of HTC's Android phones are nearly identical, yet every single one gets reviewed on most of the Mobility sites.

Also, look at all of the hype and information we've seen about the Titan? Why didn't we see anything like that for the Focus S? It was just kind of quietly released on AT&T with only one leaked "in the wild" shot to give us any warning. That's the exact opposite of what needs to be done to help Microsoft gain some market share.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, though it's easier for these sites (IMO, most are closet or blatant iFans) to bash android or it's fails, than wp7 :p

Like so. The Asus transformer is 3mil units strong. It's also my favorite mobile device and rather unique, due to its clamshell laptop transformation. Very useful to me. Out of androids 6mil honeycomb tablets, reported by google, that means that one product has a monster share of android tablets vs 5-7 Sammy galaxies, motofails, and others.

Yet sites like Engadget love talking about the xoom and galaxy tabs. Why? Because those products just aren't that great. We'd be lucky to see any posts on the transformer, even though it's clearly the most popular android honeycomb tablet.

The same, IMO, goes to wp7. It's easier to bash android, that's all. The way most wp7 reviews are worded, I'd swear the reviewers want to find issues to mash on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
while i agree that the nonexistant presense of the focus s on the internet is very perplexing (like how we didn't even know storage capacity until what, 1 day before release?) it does look like msft is starting to kick off some kind of holiday marketing campaign, which should have the 3 US handsets being promoted fairly well.

there does seem to be the start of an attitude change in att employees (which in general in my area weren't nearly as bad as vzw employees) in which they don't actively steer people towards crappy android and boring ios.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes