phone can't connect to wifi since update

sos710m

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Since Thursday when I updated to the newest post mango update, my phone can't connect to any WiFi connection. I thought it was my router at first, but I'm not connecting anywhere. I power cycled the phone with the WiFi turned off and on, and I've reentered my WiFi passwords. I don't wanna master reset, but might that help? Im afraid the updated screwed up my phone.

sos710m

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've tried both and neither helped. :-/ off to do a master reset. It better help.

Nope, that didn't work. Bah.

Last edited:

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't received the update yet, but I read somewhere the new update won't connect to a higher wifi channel number.

Try changing your router channel to something else... Try lower channel number such as 1

And some also said that new update will change your MAC address, so make sure you don't have MAC address filtering in your router wifi setting.. Or change the MAC filter setting.

As I said I haven't got the update, so I can't confirm about this. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Several bloggers were on Channel 13 and couldn't connect, as the channel was removed. Changing the channel, or setting to auto might just do it. Also read about the MAC address changing, but not confirmed. Being on AT&T I know I have a long wait for an update. Nokias will probably get here first.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

sos710m

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I wonder what our router setting is? I called HTC and he told me it was the first he'd heard of this issue and after deleting my network and adding it back he suggested I restore to the previous restore point. My WiFi works again side that. I don't need tethering so this update wasn't a big deal. Hopefully they figure out what is going on before the next update.

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
i had the exact same problem! I tried changing channels as well as other wifi settings. I was just getting ready to reformat the phone when i decided to delete the wifi network from the phone and reconnect it. Ever since then its been perfect!!

Cluelessjedi

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem, tried everything, my problem remains though. i had already formatted my phone, since format i could not connect to my friends wifi, all others are fine, just that one wont work. channnels were fiddled with etc, but still nothing

sos710m

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The tech asked me to delete the network, but the phone refused to let me. I would long touch on the network name and it wouldn't bring up the option :-/ I suppose I will update and try again.

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
OK, i was wrong. I am still having the same problems. Its getting really annoying now!! Did a master reset fix it for anybody??

blackhawk7188

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
What security are you using? WPA is the safest. I have had issues with WEP so I changed it. It should connect to the network if it is open.

Another suggestion, remove battery and hold in the power button for about a minute. I used to do this on my laptop when it refused to connect. Removes the residual volage on the board. It worked for me when I go to work sometimes when it doesnt want to connect to my work wifi.

sos710m

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I can see networks, it just won't connect to them. Any of them, McDonald's, my gym, my mac filtered home network. Nowhere. I master reset with no change. I am only on WiFi now bc I undid the update. :-/

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
your issue might be a little different then mine. My phone will connect the first time but after a few minutes idle, it wont connect anymore (or even use cell data). However, once again I may have it fixed! I changed the security on my home router and now it "seems" to be working. This is the first morning ive woken up to emails!!

jeff4L

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Several bloggers were on Channel 13 and couldn't connect, as the channel was removed. Changing the channel, or setting to auto might just do it. Also read about the MAC address changing, but not confirmed. Being on AT&T I know I have a long wait for an update. Nokias will probably get here first.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Could security type be another factor? Because my school has a WPA2 Enterprise network and I always connect to that. But now, it won't let me connect to it. I have to connect through the open network.

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
nope, that wasnt it. Its still just randomly not connecting. Its REALLY starting to get on my nerves too!! Is there anyway to back off the update? Did a full phone master reset help for anyone?

sos710m

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Go back to the computer you updated on and in the update setting in Zune you have the option to restore to the point just previous to the new update. That is what I did. The phone and Zune keep reminding me to update now, but it's only a minor annoyance.

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately i ran the update form a "non-primary" computer. I seem to remember it telling me that it would not make a backup if i continued. I guess i learned something today...

sos710m

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I did the same. My primary computer was reformatted and didn't have Zune on it anymore. I did the update on my other desktop. You just have to go back to that computer...the backup should be there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo