Here's my plan to get the 800 without mortaging the farm

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
This may be brilliant or an incredibly pain in the *** ordeal, I like my glass half full....

I've got an iPhone 4 I'm not using.

I unlock it.

Sell it on ebay for about $500 based on what I'm seeing as a trend for unlocked iPhone 4's.

I take that money and get the Lumia 800 from one of the online places unlocked for $400.

I come out $100 ahead!

Plus, the kicker is that I'm unlocking my Surround (didn't like it that much) to put up on ebay (those are going for about $150-$180).
I'm at the break even point from selling an iPhone 3gs to pay for the HTC.

I use the unlocked Euro Lumia 800 for a while to see if I like it until my upgrade is eligible in March. Worst case scenario, I hate it, go back to my Samsung Focus until then.

Hopefully by that time, the 800's will have take the U.S. of A by storm, I'm up about $200 and I use that for the 32gb model I'm sure Nokia (THAT'S A BIG HINT THERE ELOP!) will be releasing.

Brilliant or boneheaded? C'mon, that ain't just pumpkin pie on the brain talking!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I bet you get your European Lumia 800 and love it so much, you just keep it and use it for the next 2 years.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I bet you get your European Lumia 800 and love it so much, you just keep it and use it for the next 2 years.
That's what I'm hoping!! With the $180 I just got for the Surround (I was thinking $150 max), and the iPhone 4 selling soon, it should be a very Mango Christmas! I'm thinking the cyan model, what do you think? Although I like the stealthy look of the black one.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That's what I'm hoping!! With the $180 I just got for the Surround (I was thinking $150 max), and the iPhone 4 selling soon, it should be a very Mango Christmas! I'm thinking the cyan model, what do you think? Although I like the stealthy look of the black one.

I thought Cyan was a really cool blue!

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm guessing it will function the same as if it was US specific. Get ATT to fire up my sim card, and I'm good? Can I do that over the phone?

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

go for the cyan it looks much better

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Get black. The blue one is fine - as long as you never want to use anything other than blue or at a push green themes. Everything else is a pretty huge colour clash!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
So, I'm guessing it will function the same as if it was US specific. Get ATT to fire up my sim card, and I'm good? Can I do that over the phone?

You'll be fine with your AT&T SIM card. If the SIM card is currently active, you don't even need to call them, just stick it in the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99