Coming from iPhone/Android, short review

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this can help others interested in an HTC Titan/Windows OS

I was coming from an iPhone 4 and prior to that a 3GS. I upgraded from my iPhone 4 to a HTC Vivid Android phone. The Vivid is great. It looks good, especially the white model and I like Android, but I didn't love it. I had been eyeing the Titan for a month, thinking it wasn't coming since news was few and far between. Finally it came and I got rid of the Vivid in favor for the Titan. It is my first Windows phone.

Build Quality - Phone has a weight to it, it's not featherweight like a Samsung Galaxy S II / Skyrocket. I personally prefer a phone to have a little weight to it, not feel like it's an empty shell. I can't complain about the build quality one bit. Feels good in the hand, not cheap.

Screen - Some people say the screen quality isn't as good as this phone or that, since the screen size is bigger and the resolution is stretched. Could it be better? Sure, a tad, but it's nothing you'll pay attention to. I don't miss my tiny 3.5 inch retina display from Apple or the 4.5 inch from the Vivid. If you want a big screen, this is the biggest and the quality doesn't suffer like some reviews may have you think. Apple can keep it's baby screen. I also don't agree with the comments that it's a mini-tablet. My wife has an iPad 2 and comparing it to the Titan doesn't translate. I don't feel 4.7 inches is really big enough to be called a mini-tablet. It's just the next wave of bigger screens. Next year I can picture 5 inch screens being released.

Camera - I've only used it a little bit, all for putting pictures on BooKoo for items to sell. It works fine, no complaint's for me there. Has a lot of options like picture resolution, filters, and different settings to use for pictures. I'm just trying to figure out how to delete multiple pictures from the phone at a time instead of one by one.

Operating System - This being my first Windows Phone I would have to learn how to use it. I love the OS. Android was nice, I liked it, I understood it, but it wasn't for me. I love Apple's OS and was so used to that also, but Windows OS made me feel like this fits me. I think it has this simplicity but it looks so good. A lot of customization features that I like. I do wish the calender was like Androids, how everyones birthday from Facebook is loaded onto the OS calender. XBOX Live integration is nice.

Marketplace - Not as seasoned as Apple's or Android's. Missing apps like Pandora and others. Had to use substitutes. Some apps not working as good as they could, like Last.fm for example. Freezing or not updating to the next song track or stations not loading. It's a young OS and Marketplace but will grow and improve over time.

Call Quality - Calls sound good but could be louder for speaker phone. I say that about all phones though. I can't figure out why cell phone makers don't make loud speaker phones.

Accessories - Not many options at this time, ordered a Case-Mate Tough Case, should be here today.

Email - Trying to figure out how to set up my Army AKO email on this phone ask I don't see anything for imap settings. Gmail and Hotmail work fine though.

Just ask if you have any questions about the Titan!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

That seems a fair comparison you posted there.

Welcome along to WPC Batt1eRatt1e. :)

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, very nice and honest opinion with experience to back up your feelings.

Also, as far as Birthdays go, I BELIEVE if you link you Facebook to your Windows Live account, the birthdays will import in to your calendar. I have a 'Birthday Calendar' option from Windows Live and it shows me my FB friends birthdays.

No photo multiselect that I'm aware of. I've been using the platform since March and it's something that's been asked for. MS seemed to get a lot right with Mango and more improvements to come with Tango and Apollo. :)

Welcome to the fold! Hope it continues to work out for you.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Good review. I pretty much agree with you.

I don't think stretching is the correct terminology for a large screen at the same resolution as a smaller screen. Since the aspect ratio remains the same, it is actually scaling not stretching.

In the email account setup, Pop and Imap are grouped together. I don't use anything with Imap so I am not sure on what added functionality it provides, if any, over Pop.

aptmx45

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I mostly agree with you. I was a diehard Android user prior to getting my Titan. I am really liking just how fluid and smooth everything is. Android did have much better GPS/Navigation. Bing maps does not even compare to Google Maps. (That GMap app is no where near the real thing either) So far WP OS has been my favorite because of the interface. It is useful, easy and very well thought out.

jenashley

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I mostly agree with you. I was a diehard Android user prior to getting my Titan. I am really liking just how fluid and smooth everything is. Android did have much better GPS/Navigation. Bing maps does not even compare to Google Maps. (That GMap app is no where near the real thing either) So far WP OS has been my favorite because of the interface. It is useful, easy and very well thought out.

I dunno... On my Evo, the maps were never that accurate. Even now, my friend who has an Android phone prefers to use my maps on my WP7 because it's more accurate. But maybe it depends on coverage? Not sure.

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I got the Case-Mate Tough case today. I'm a little disappointed. For the price I thought it would be better. There is two parts to it, a grey silicone part and a harder soft touch rubber case on the outside. It does fit snug and tight, I just thought the quality was going to be better. I guess I'm spoiled from Otterbox. If were lucky we will see an Otterbox or Tank case for this phone, I hope so, it deserves it. This case is better than nothing though and works, I just expected more for $45 plus tax and shipping fees.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon