Why no reviews for this phone?

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I asked this once before, but I'm still baffled. I just noticed that Phonearena has a full review up for the Titan, despite the fact that the Focus S was released weeks earlier. Seriously, why is the Focus S the black sheep of the mobile phone world? Maybe black sheep is the wrong term: Ninja. It's invisible and no one is aware that it's there.

There are only a few reviews out on it and none of the major sites have a review. What is the deal? It doesn't bode well for support for this device.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I saw that review. I'm talking about Engadget, Slashgear, Phonearena, etc. The phone has been completely ignored, even by other sites that have reviewed the Titan. That is alarming to me.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I see, yes I understand what you mean. You could always complain to them.

Not that it would make any difference, but if you feel strongly about it.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Because the Focus S is nothing wonderful, IMO. At least the HTC titan is using new HW, has something unique and not already seen before, more than half a year ago, in ~6 different flavors (as the Galaxy SII). Yes, it has WP7, but so do several other phones, and we have already seen a 4.3" WP7 phone (admittedly without SAMOLED+).

Though Engadget has already reviewed the Focus S.
Samsung Focus S review -- Engadget

IMO, if AT&T is going to use the Titan as the "Mango Flagship," it at least shows WP7 with relatively unique HW, and not merely a modified Galaxy SII with WP7 buttons (which my local AT&T store had, conveniently, an AT&T Galaxy SII near the Focus S... caused the store lady a double take for a bit before she figured I wanted a Focus S, lol, and I don't blame her at all).

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
it seems like alot of the other sites just got a review unit a few days ago.
in the past few days there have been some new unboxing videos on youtube, so i suppose more reviews will be out soon :]

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I saw that review. I'm talking about Engadget, Slashgear, Phonearena, etc. The phone has been completely ignored, even by other sites that have reviewed the Titan. That is alarming to me.

There's been a review at pocketnow.com a week or two ago I believe.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What I find odd, is that almost all the major tech youtube channels have already posted reviews of the Focus Flash, as well as an unboxing video of the Focus S, yet no one has posted a review of the Focus S.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Because the Focus S is nothing wonderful, IMO. At least the HTC titan is using new HW, has something unique and not already seen before, more than half a year ago, in ~6 different flavors (as the Galaxy SII). Yes, it has WP7, but so do several other phones, and we have already seen a 4.3" WP7 phone (admittedly without SAMOLED+).

Though Engadget has already reviewed the Focus S.
Samsung Focus S review -- Engadget

IMO, if AT&T is going to use the Titan as the "Mango Flagship," it at least shows WP7 with relatively unique HW, and not merely a modified Galaxy SII with WP7 buttons (which my local AT&T store had, conveniently, an AT&T Galaxy SII near the Focus S... caused the store lady a double take for a bit before she figured I wanted a Focus S, lol, and I don't blame her at all).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The GS2 is a great design. Also, it has a better camera than the Titan, which the Focus S inherited, so there's that. If I had to choose between a phone that's too big for my hand and a phone with a better camera, I choose the phone with the better camera. Also, plastic is more durable and survives impact much better than Aluminum or glass and I'd rather have a lighter phone in my pocket.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The GSII is a terribly flimsy and cheap design and I hate the fact that Samsung did the same for the Focus S. At least the GSII has some amazing specs to overshadow its cheap chassis. The Focus S doesn't have that luxury. The Focus S makes for a poor flagship phone because it's been done before and done better in the GSII. At least the Focus Flash is something different. That's probably why more reviewers jumped on it first.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The GSII is a terribly flimsy and cheap design and I hate the fact that Samsung did the same for the Focus S. At least the GSII has some amazing specs to overshadow its cheap chassis. The Focus S doesn't have that luxury. The Focus S makes for a poor flagship phone because it's been done before and done better in the GSII. At least the Focus Flash is something different. That's probably why more reviewers jumped on it first.

How is the Titan design unique? it's a Desire HD and thus an Inspire 4G with a slightly larger screen and a FFC. Most of HTCs phones look the same.

I love how everyone bags on the Samsung phones for the plastic construction, blissfully unaware that plastic flexes on impact and thus protects the internal components better. It also doesn't dent like Aluminum or shatter like glass.

I would rather have a lighter plastic phone than a heavy aluminum one in my pocket. I had the Inspire and I couldn't do anything on that phone one-handed without fumbling it. And I could always feel it in my pocket, tugging on my belt.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The GS2 is a great design. Also, it has a better camera than the Titan, which the Focus S inherited, so there's that. If I had to choose between a phone that's too big for my hand and a phone with a better camera, I choose the phone with the better camera. Also, plastic is more durable and survives impact much better than Aluminum or glass and I'd rather have a lighter phone in my pocket.

How is the Titan design unique? it's a Desire HD and thus an Inspire 4G with a slightly larger screen and a FFC. Most of HTCs phones look the same.

I love how everyone bags on the Samsung phones for the plastic construction, blissfully unaware that plastic flexes on impact and thus protects the internal components better. It also doesn't dent like Aluminum or shatter like glass.

I would rather have a lighter plastic phone than a heavy aluminum one in my pocket. I had the Inspire and I couldn't do anything on that phone one-handed without fumbling it. And I could always feel it in my pocket, tugging on my belt.

Dunno what makes you believe that, lol. HTC Vivid, and HTC Titan both obliterate the Focus S/Galaxy SII (at least the TW version - you know, the version not despoiled by Yank carriers? ;)) in the camera dept. At a well lit, birght day, the Focus S/GS2 can keep up. Anything outside of that.... the recent HTC cameras leave the 10month old Samsung design in the poorly exposed, noisey dust (yes, that's even with the software HDR enabled). As for what you perceive to be a unique design, or a "good" design, either industrially or ergonmically, that's up to you, and I won't try to convince you out of your beliefs.

I've already had the annoyance and luxury of owning the HTC Vivid (still do), HTC Titan (primary), Samsung Focus S, and Galaxy SII this year; in addition, I have already uploaded pics taken on the Titan and the Focus S to this site already....

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

If your counter argument is to attack other phones then give up. Fact is there are already several versions of the GSII running about. From a pure hardware perspective the WP7 version just doesn't stand out. The Focus S has nearly the exact same chassis and dimensions as the GSII. The only slight difference being the texture on the battery cover. The GSII had already been out for months and seeing the exact same chassis with weaker innards apparently wasn't enough to wow people.

Oh, and having a larger screen does make the Titan stand out more than the Inspire and Desire HD.

The first time I took the battery cover off the Focus S I nearly broke it. That's not building my confidence in its design. The Focus S isn't the first plastic phone, it's merely one of the flimsier ones.

And I've seen a lot more people with broken plastic phones then dented aluminum ones. But anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Plastic comes in all qualities. The fact that the Focus S is plastic doesn't automatically make it better than aluminum. It's the kind of plastic vs the kind of aluminum. Furthermore, there are not enough people walking around with dented aluminum phones to give any weight to your argument. Especially since there's no way to compare dented phones vs cracked plastic phones.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Dunno what makes you believe that, lol. HTC Vivid, and HTC Titan both obliterate the Focus S/Galaxy SII (at least the TW version - you know, the version not despoiled by Yank carriers? ;)) in the camera dept. At a well lit, birght day, the Focus S/GS2 can keep up. Anything outside of that.... the recent HTC cameras leave the 10month old Samsung design in the poorly exposed, noisey dust (yes, that's even with the software HDR enabled). As for what you perceive to be a unique design, or a "good" design, either industrially or ergonmically, that's up to you, and I won't try to convince you out of your beliefs.

I've already had the annoyance and luxury of owning the HTC Vivid (still do), HTC Titan (primary), Samsung Focus S, and Galaxy SII this year; in addition, I have already uploaded pics taken on the Titan and the Focus S to this site already....

You, my friend, need to read some reviews. You seem to be confused. Start at Phonearena.com and work your way from there. Focus S takes way better pics than the Titan. Samsung Focus S Review - Camera and Multimedia

If you want to see how bad the Titan stacks up against other phones, you can read this:

8 megapixel mega shootout: Picture this - GSMArena.com

But really, all you have to do is look at the pictures and read the conclusion.
Bottom line: Titan's camera is a disappointment. I had high hopes for it when it was announced and I figured if it was the same lens as the Amaze, it would have to be good, but alas, HTC faild. It's definitely better than some of the older HTC cameras, but it doesn't beat the Focus S or the iPhone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Is the Focus S camera different than the one in the Focus? Other than megapixels?

I know that my Focus sucked when there wasn't very much light. But the camera was good when there was a lot of light.

My new Titan takes better pictures overall than my old Focus. Especially at night.

I like both phones. But given the choice between the Focus S and the Titan, I chose the Titan. It is a little more unique because of the screen size. And the screen quality was much better than I expected it to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb