Data connection issues

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I know there's another thread talking about a signal strength issue (http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/183648.htm), but this isn't quite the same problem I'm having. I live and work in downtown Chicago, and oftentimes the data connection simply refuses to work. By that I mean I'm getting "page cannot be displayed" errors in IE, the marketplace doesn't work, etc. I also had the exact same issue with the Focus S, which leads me to think it's AT&T's fault, rather than the phone. If I go out to the countryside, er, suburbs ;), I find the connection to be much more reliable.

I compared the phone against my friend's original Focus once, and he pulled up the page immediately while my phone couldn't do squat. I'm thinking it's something to do with the HSPA+ service. So my question is: Does anyone here, who lives in a large city, have any issues like mine? I know AT&T's service is normally pretty bad (I just switched from T-Mobile), but I doubt it's consistently this bad.

bridgehead

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I know there's another thread talking about a signal strength issue (http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/183648.htm), but this isn't quite the same problem I'm having. I live and work in downtown Chicago, and oftentimes the data connection simply refuses to work. By that I mean I'm getting "page cannot be displayed" errors in IE, the marketplace doesn't work, etc. I also had the exact same issue with the Focus S, which leads me to think it's AT&T's fault, rather than the phone. If I go out to the countryside, er, suburbs ;), I find the connection to be much more reliable.

I compared the phone against my friend's original Focus once, and he pulled up the page immediately while my phone couldn't do squat. I'm thinking it's something to do with the HSPA+ service. So my question is: Does anyone here, who lives in a large city, have any issues like mine? I know AT&T's service is normally pretty bad (I just switched from T-Mobile), but I doubt it's consistently this bad.
I have exactly the same problem on the Rogers network in Ottawa.

I have an unlocked At&T version of the Titan, not the European version.
Rogers uses the same 850; 1900 frequencies.

The signal strength meter tells me I have a strong signal but I have no data connection.

Wifi and Bluetooth are off.
Airplane mode is off.

I've tried pulling the battery and a full reset, no joy.

I'll talk to Rogers tomorrow but since they don't carry the phone I doubt there's much they'll be able to do.

Am I missing anything or is this phone destined to be returned?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not a solution, but curious. Is there no way to turn off 4G/HSPA+ on your Titan. In other words, is it only Data on/off, and no way to disable 4G specifically.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I get a good signal from AT&T downtown Chicago. My last job was at the Quincy CTA station and the signal was fine.

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Not a solution, but curious. Is there no way to turn off 4G/HSPA+ on your Titan. In other words, is it only Data on/off, and no way to disable 4G specifically.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Nope, only data on/off.

I don't usually have signal strength issues either; I could have full bars of "4G" and data will still cease to function completely.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to find a location on Bing maps and I got a no data connection message when I'm clearly in a good signal area and data is obviously working. I'm sure this issue will be addressed in a firmware update.

bridgehead

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem on the Rogers network in Ottawa.

I have an unlocked At&T version of the Titan, not the European version.
Rogers uses the same 850; 1900 frequencies.

The signal strength meter tells me I have a strong signal but I have no data connection.

Wifi and Bluetooth are off.
Airplane mode is off.

I've tried pulling the battery and a full reset, no joy.

I'll talk to Rogers tomorrow but since they don't carry the phone I doubt there's much they'll be able to do.

Am I missing anything or is this phone destined to be returned?
Ok I found my problem.

I didn't have the APN set correctly for my carrier [Rogers]

The solution is outlined below:

Have you checked with the APN?

Name: Rogers
APN: internet.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
Authentication Type:
APN Type: Internet

Not all the parameters listed above were available to me, but only the second line (in bold) was necessary:

After that, it all worked as advertised!

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok I found my problem.

I didn't have the APN set correctly for my carrier [Rogers]

The solution is outlined below:

Have you checked with the APN?

Name: Rogers
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
Authentication Type:
APN Type: Internet

Not all the parameters listed above were available to me, but only the second line (in bold) was necessary:

After that, it all worked as advertised!
Silly question, but where did you configure your APN? I've never had an HTC WP7 device before, so I'm new at this (only had the Dell before).

It sounds as if your data connection never worked - mine works, intermittently.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
There is also a HTC program called Connection Setup. It's suppose to add all the AT&T fields. It worked for me when I setup my HTC Trophy on AT&T.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There is also a HTC program called Connection Setup. It's suppose to add all the AT&T fields. It worked for me when I setup my HTC Trophy on AT&T.

I thought the app was only necessary if you didn't have a connection to a carrier's network?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I thought the app was only necessary if you didn't have a connection to a carrier's network?

You're correct. He was talking about changing the APN, and that's basically what the program does for voice and data. I have unbranded/unlocked GSM only Trophy. When I stuck my SIM card in, the voice worked, but data did not, so I ran connection setup and it worked fine after that.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You're correct. He was talking about changing the APN, and that's basically what the program does for voice and data. I have unbranded/unlocked GSM only Trophy. When I stuck my SIM card in, the voice worked, but data did not, so I ran connection setup and it worked fine after that.

I see. I was wondering if using the app would help solve some of the network issues a lot of users are having but it doesn't sound like it.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I see. I was wondering if using the app would help solve some of the network issues a lot of users are having but it doesn't sound like it.

I had the same question about "connection setup". My data is crazy-slow, but it is there...worried that connection setup app might make something worse. It's pretty unclear from description in the marketplace. Suggestions? Thoughts? Experiences? Mine is at&t-branded Titan which was activated on at&t by Best Buy before they shipped it out to me. I am leaning toward leaving well enough alone.

bridgehead

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Silly question, but where did you configure your APN? I've never had an HTC WP7 device before, so I'm new at this (only had the Dell before).

It sounds as if your data connection never worked - mine works, intermittently.

That's right, my data connection never worked.

On the Titan the APN is configured in Settings/Cellular/Edit APN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo