AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan?

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
After extensive testing, I'm quite positive AT&T is artificially limiting network speed on their version of the Titan by limiting the HSDPA feature set to category 8. The phone hardware of course is able to support HSDPA category 10 features.

To be clear, enabling HSDPA category 10 features doesn't just raise the theoretical maximum throughput to 14.1 Mbps. HSDPA category 10 features should improve performance across the board, even when throughput is below the theoretical maximum of HSDPA category 8, which is 7.2 Mbps.

My theory is based on testing in multiple markets, with and without advanced backhaul, against an LG Thrill and Samsung Galaxy S II. On the two Android phones I am able to adjust and verify the HSDPA category. The LG Thrill set to HSDPA category 10 and the Galaxy S II set to HSDPA category 14 both get about twice the network performance of the HTC Titan in any given location using the same sim card.

If you're skeptical that AT&T would essentially disable HSPA+ on a phone they're advertising as HSPA+ 4G enabled, look no further than the LG Thrill. It has been proven by analyzing code and hidden settings that it was shipped with the HSDPA category set to 8. Setting it to 10 on the LG Thrill roughly doubles network performance for most people. AT&T does this to lighten the load on their network and they figure most people will never notice. Maybe you remember the AT&T HSUPA fiasco that gained wide media coverage early this year. So there are multiple cases of past precedent for this kind of behavior from AT&T.

Anyways, on Android phones it isn't a big deal because we can easily set the proper HSDPA category in our custom ROMs. Windows Phone, however, is closed and very locked down so we have no way (that I know of) to adjust, or even verify, this setting.

The international Titan is undoubtedly not restricted in this way, but apparently it doesn't support AT&T's 1900 MHz frequency so we can't compare performance directly to prove foul play. That said, if anyone has both phones I would like to see some network speed comparisons between the two, or maybe a comparison to other Windows Phones on AT&T's network (though AT&T could be limiting all of them).

If anyone is seeing speeds above 7.2 Mbps on their AT&T Titan it would prove my theory wrong, so please report if you've seen 8-12 Mbps on your AT&T Titan at any time on AT&T's network. These speeds may seem high, but they're fairly common now in HSPA+ areas with advanced backhaul.

The only other possibilities are poorly set TCP buffer sizes or just flat horrible radio hardware, but knowing AT&T the speeds we're seeing are artificially limited.

I used this site in the browser for most testing: http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.php?name=Bandwidth_Meter_DSL I also used the BandWidth app as well as several other sites to verify my findings.

edit: Forgot to give you an idea of how large the disparity is. At my house outside of Atlanta there is no advanced backhaul and I'm getting 2-3 Mbps on the Titan compared to 3-4 Mbps on my Android phones. In the city where there is advanced backhaul in place I'm maxing out around 4 Mbps on the Titan compared to 8-10 Mbps on my Android phones.

Last edited:

pdangcil

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I do not have HSPA+ in my area yet, so I can't help you. I do however notice the speed increase, however minimal it is, between my Titan and my old Focus. But in all, I'm very happy with the speed so far 1.5mbps average. My Wi-Fi at home is only 4mbps!!!

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
At my house outside of Atlanta there is no advanced backhaul and I'm getting 2-3 Mbps on the Titan compared to 3-4 Mbps on my Android phones. In the city where there is advanced backhaul in place I'm maxing out around 4 Mbps on the Titan compared to 8-10 Mbps on my Android phones.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I am getting great speeds with wi-fi ON and cellular OFF. wo tests using Bandwith app were 1.05 and 11.5, respectively. With wi-fi OFF and cellular ON, I am not able to even load a page. I am in an area that shows 4G as my connection. Bandwidth test shows server timeout.

Something here seems to be bugger than speed limits, per se... but my Titan seems to be semi-functional at best right now. Started choking last night, now that I think about it (I use cell connection at home and wi-fi during the day).

Harumph!!!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering how accurate the Bandwidth App was. I have a hard time getting solid Wifi speeds too.

I just did a Wifi test, same server location.
Titan: 10Mbps down, 2.8Mbps up. 120ms ping.
Playbook Tablet: 30Mbps down, 2.77Mbps up, 26ms.

I seem to get nearly half the speeds as my buddy with an iPhone 4 also on ATT.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I am getting great speeds with wi-fi ON and cellular OFF. wo tests using Bandwith app were 1.05 and 11.5, respectively. With wi-fi OFF and cellular ON, I am not able to even load a page. I am in an area that shows 4G as my connection. Bandwidth test shows server timeout.

Something here seems to be bugger than speed limits, per se... but my Titan seems to be semi-functional at best right now. Started choking last night, now that I think about it (I use cell connection at home and wi-fi during the day).

Harumph!!!

UPDATE: just managed to get a few bandwidth readings using "4G":
0.57 (not a typo.... the that is really a zero)

?????

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this is something they can fix with firmware/updates. I am new to AT&T (switched from Sprint 3G) and I have NOT been impressed with the "4G."

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
After extensive testing, I'm quite positive AT&T is artificially limiting network speed on their version of the Titan by limiting the HSDPA feature set to category 8. The phone hardware of course is able to support HSDPA category 10 features.

To be clear, enabling HSDPA category 10 features doesn't just raise the theoretical maximum throughput to 14.1 Mbps. HSDPA category 10 features should improve performance across the board, even when throughput is below the theoretical maximum of HSDPA category 8, which is 7.2 Mbps.

My theory is based on testing in multiple markets, with and without advanced backhaul, against an LG Thrill and Samsung Galaxy S II. On the two Android phones I am able to adjust and verify the HSDPA category. The LG Thrill set to HSDPA category 10 and the Galaxy S II set to HSDPA category 14 both get about twice the network performance of the HTC Titan in any given location using the same sim card.

If you're skeptical that AT&T would essentially disable HSPA+ on a phone they're advertising as HSPA+ 4G enabled, look no further than the LG Thrill. It has been proven by analyzing code and hidden settings that it was shipped with the HSDPA category set to 8. Setting it to 10 on the LG Thrill roughly doubles network performance for most people. AT&T does this to lighten the load on their network and they figure most people will never notice. Maybe you remember the AT&T HSUPA fiasco that gained wide media coverage early this year. So there are multiple cases of past precedent for this kind of behavior from AT&T.

Anyways, on Android phones it isn't a big deal because we can easily set the proper HSDPA category in our custom ROMs. Windows Phone, however, is closed and very locked down so we have no way (that I know of) to adjust, or even verify, this setting.

The international Titan is undoubtedly not restricted in this way, but apparently it doesn't support AT&T's 1900 MHz frequency so we can't compare performance directly to prove foul play. That said, if anyone has both phones I would like to see some network speed comparisons between the two, or maybe a comparison to other Windows Phones on AT&T's network (though AT&T could be limiting all of them).

If anyone is seeing speeds above 7.2 Mbps on their AT&T Titan it would prove my theory wrong, so please report if you've seen 8-12 Mbps on your AT&T Titan at any time on AT&T's network. These speeds may seem high, but they're fairly common now in HSPA+ areas with advanced backhaul.

The only other possibilities are poorly set TCP buffer sizes or just flat horrible radio hardware, but knowing AT&T the speeds we're seeing are artificially limited.

I used this site in the browser for most testing: Mobile Speed Test - Internet Speed Diagnostics, Benchmarks, Voip Diagnostics, Internet Bandwidth Forums - ISPgeeks.com I also used the BandWidth app as well as several other sites to verify my findings.

edit: Forgot to give you an idea of how large the disparity is. At my house outside of Atlanta there is no advanced backhaul and I'm getting 2-3 Mbps on the Titan compared to 3-4 Mbps on my Android phones. In the city where there is advanced backhaul in place I'm maxing out around 4 Mbps on the Titan compared to 8-10 Mbps on my Android phones.

Compulsively testing now, alternating wi-fi only with cellular only.
Wi-fi is sensational: highest download speed is 18.48 down, 6.44 up (others were 7.05 down 6.29 up; and 11.58 down 3.53 up)

On cellular only (I am in an HSPA area - connection shows 4G):
about half are server timeout. Zip.
Others are: 1.55 up / 0.79 down; 0.57 up/ 0.48 down; 1.53 up/ 0.76 down

Seems to support your theory...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't that sound more like an HTC Titan thing versus an AT&T thing? You're able to get good speeds with AT&T devices, but different manufacturers.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to read network specifics on Mango? I saw a couple videos on Youtube showing some of ATT's HSPA+ Android phones showing 4G but the OS was only reporting HSDPA.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
AT&T probably specified the ROM setting.

Also, I was impressed with 1.5Mbps 3 years ago, but in 2011, especially with something referred to as "4G," I expect much better.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
All of AT&T's HSPA+ phones are programmed to say H+ or 4G in the status bar regardless of whether you're actually in an HSPA+ area with advanced backhaul or not.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't that sound more like an HTC Titan thing versus an AT&T thing? You're able to get good speeds with AT&T devices, but different manufacturers.

AT&T doesn't artificially limit all of their phones. The iPhone isn't and they usually don't limit their most popular Android phones because the openness of Android makes it very easy for Android developers to figure it out and cause an uproar. Windows phone on the other hand is locked pretty tight. We can't get in and look at source code or decompiled apps, so they likely figure they can get away with it.

jenashley

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone able to test this theory alongside a Focus S?

Was this slowdown noticeable BEFORE this thread was posted, I wonder?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99