Titan Bugs Report Thread [Updated 12/16/11]

chuckk9032

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes also on the muffled microphone. All is fine with a headset or hands-free car Bluetooth. Had to return the phone today. It's a shame as I like the phone otherwise!

NewWindowsPhoner

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a problem with my Google calendar alerts coming through and don't know who to turn to to get it resolved. The alerts only seem to work "sometimes". Ok, I have two calendar events in a day and they are both set up identically. They are repeating events but there are days when only one audible alert comes through and then there are days when no audible alerts come through and then there are days when both audible alerts come through. It's never the same. Some days, the morning audible alert will come through and the afternoon one won't. Then the next day it'll be reversed, the morning alert won't happen but the afternoon one will. It's driving me crazy. I've tried changing and using my Windows Live Calendar, but there is a problem with it syncing, so that was a failure. Any suggestions? I've gone to AT&T and they don't have a clue and they set up test alerts on the Calendar and they work. Any and all help/sugggestions will be greatly appreciated. This is on the HTC Titan. Don't know if that makes any difference or not.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The worst part of it all is that the phone is perhaps just one firmware update away from being perfect (not counting Mango specific problems). We're lucky in that a lot of problems we have are minor annoyances. None of the problems I've encountered have actually prohibited me from using my Titan. I've seen some people just settle for a bricked device with no help in sight. Call quality is a major concern and needs to be addressed. However, things like the wifi antenna having a smaller range and audio pops aren't the worst things in the world. Our phones still work, the problems are just reminders that our phone isn't living up to its potential. All we need is someone at HTC/Microsoft to get busy on a fix.

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The worst part of it all is that the phone is perhaps just one firmware update away from being perfect (not counting Mango specific problems). We're lucky in that a lot of problems we have are minor annoyances. None of the problems I've encountered have actually prohibited me from using my Titan. I've seen some people just settle for a bricked device with no help in sight. Call quality is a major concern and needs to be addressed. However, things like the wifi antenna having a smaller range and audio pops aren't the worst things in the world. Our phones still work, the problems are just reminders that our phone isn't living up to its potential. All we need is someone at HTC/Microsoft to get busy on a fix.

Agreed, the fact that I'm considering even purchasing one of those silly bluetooth headsets to wear while I'm at the office/house should be a tip of how much I really do enjoy the phone. (well for everything but using it as a phone)

Watcherseye

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
My main issue now is just the random reboots. It's sitting on my desk and rebooted. Thankfully it doesn't take several minutes to come back like Android phones.

seriousdave

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Titan since Monday night. I am a heavy user. I travel from site to site and I use my phone as my primary GPS.
My biggest complaint is battery life. Is anyone else having battery issues? The reviews i read said its an outstanding battery, but it's way worse than my iPhone 4. I can not get a day out of it at all, even with battery saver turned on.
Once yesterday, and two tines right in a row today, I open the maps app and the phone just completely restarted in my hand. Its a very fast reboot but still it shouldn't be crashing like that.
I also have volume issues. Why aren't they seperatd controls like iPhone? If I have to turn volume down for a game, my ringer and text to voice volumes are now too low to hear.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
My main issue now is just the random reboots. It's sitting on my desk and rebooted. Thankfully it doesn't take several minutes to come back like Android phones.

Strongly encourage you to exchange for a new device while you are still within 30 days. The random-reboot pro lem is *not* benign. I had one that randomly-rebooted itself to death. Literally: one reboot stuck on HTC screen and that was it. Would not turn on or off, would not take a charge. When I pulled battery, it would revert to HTC screen but nothing more. This problem is unlikely to end well!

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

I would be back at the store getting this swapped out right now! :)

The only problem I have is the muffled voice issue. Other than that my phone is perfect.

I opened a case with AT&T and will be trying a new phone today. I doubt it will help. I suspect a firmware fix will be in the cards soon.

mnjoe

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Camera App constant crash

I traded my Samsung Focus S for an HTC Titan this week, however, the camera on this Titan is either defective, or their is a bug somewhere.

I used the phone for about a day, took a few pictures, and everything was fine. I then got the 'camera modes' update, and the next time I tried to take a picture, the camera app locked up. I rebooted the phone, and after that every time I went into the camera app, the app would close after about 1 second and dump me back into the home screen. I rebooted again, same problem. I wiped the phone, same problem. I wiped the phone several times again, and finally the camera app started to work normally again.

Another day goes by, more photos taken, no problems. I again got the 'camera modes' update from the marketplace, and then next time I went to take a picutre, it locked up again. Reboot. Camera app - 1 second - instant close. Crap. Can't take pictures again. I've wiped/reset the phone again 3 times, and I still can't get the camera to work.

Taking the phone back to the store tomorrow, hoping they can fix or replace.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior? Either I've got bad hardware, or something is happening with the 'camera modes' update...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We're all on the same boat (I believe only/all AT&T branded phones are affected).
Please keep reporting to HTC about voice quality issue by phone: (866) 449-8358 or by posting at:
Reporting NUMEROUS bugs, glitches, and problems - HTC TITAN

Thanks

Just got off the phone with an HTC rep. Surprisingly enough he said he could understand me fine, which is a much different result than what I had during my last call test. However, there's a difference between being able to understand and sounding like a tin man. I also asked if there's a firmware update planned for the US Titan but he didn't have any info. Still, at least I have the issue on file. The more who call in the faster something will be done.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with an HTC rep. Surprisingly enough he said he could understand me fine, which is a much different result than what I had during my last call test. However, there's a difference between being able to understand and sounding like a tin man. I also asked if there's a firmware update planned for the US Titan but he didn't have any info. Still, at least I have the issue on file. The more who call in the faster something will be done.

yea I am torn between taking it back for another Focus S or holding onto it to see if it gets a firmware patch

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I would be back at the store getting this swapped out right now! :)

The only problem I have is the muffled voice issue. Other than that my phone is perfect.

I opened a case with AT&T and will be trying a new phone today. I doubt it will help. I suspect a firmware fix will be in the cards soon.

I don't think it's a firmware issue myself I think there is a batch of bad devices out there. Here is why this voice quality issue cropped up after the second batch of Titans were released plus there are tuns of people myself included that are not having an issue with this. My advice is if you are having voice quality issues go demonstrate this to at@t so they can repair or replace your device.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It can't be a physical mic issue because audio quality in video (and other non-telephony apps) is actually quite good, though still better with the case off.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Maybe its the noise canceling mic that is causing the problem. I don't know the ins and outs of this technology but it is my understanding that 2 mics are used. Both wouldn't be used in video recording. Either way if it's hardware or software related I know there are good devices out there you paid good money for your device why should you have to suffer with this problem.

swansonp

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I called HTC for the second time about the muffled sounding calls to see if any progress had been made on their part. Of course, they acted surprised to hear about this again and nothing had been done. In speaking frankly with the tech, it seems that there there is no escalation for this type of issue with HTC. They will either help you reset your phone if they think you have a software issue or help you get your phone's hardware fixed if you want to send it in. The tech that I spoke to said that the only way that HTC might start to look into this issue is after reviewing their calls logs at some point in the future and they determine that a trend is happening. I don't want to wait for months on the off chance that they might review their tickets and finally take action.

I did however call AT&T Wireless tech support and they were much more helpful. The tech took down all my info and even the link to this forum and said that she would pass this on to upper level tech support so they can start investigating. At least this sounds more promising than HTC tech support. HTC probably only works on firmware updates at the request of the carrier.

I would urge everyone having this problem to please call AT&T Wireless Tech support and let them know about the problem you are having. If this is fixable through a firmware or software update, this looks to be the best route to get the message across.

AT&T Wireless Tech Support: 1-866-700-2105

Last edited:

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe its the noise canceling mic that is causing the problem. I don't know the ins and outs of this technology but it is my understanding that 2 mics are used. Both wouldn't be used in video recording. Either way if it's hardware or software related I know there are good devices out there you paid good money for your device why should you have to suffer with this problem.

I believe the upper mic would be used for noise canceling while on call. But based on how much the rear cover picks up sounds, it is entirely possible that the whole shell "hears" your voice, which the noise canceling system detects as noise (the upper mic should only hear background noise, but instead, hears your voice). This is probably just part of the problem.

I bet if they went to conventional noise reduction (single mic solution, like most cell phones in the past) things would improve drastically, except the rear cover would pick up all kinds of crap in a noisy environment...

And to the poster above, I agree, calling AT&T probably makes the most sense for AT&T customers.

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I would urge everyone having this problem to please call AT&T Wireless Tech support and let them know about the problem you are having. If this is fixable through a firmware or software update, this looks to be the best route to get the message across.

AT&T Wireless Tech Support: 1-866-700-2105

I just reported to AT&T and HTC one more time

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have issues with IMDB. Launching the app and searching for something sometimes exits the app. I can usually get around it by going further into the app before searching, but it is annoying.

Also when I pin these forums to the start screen in Board Express, the tile disappears after not too long and I have to reinstall the app to get it back.

I presume both of these are simply app issues so I haven't mentioned them before.

Opera Ghost

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a return of the Music and Video crash bug. I used to see that on my Focus until I think NoDo fixed it. Every once in a while launching Music and Video, it goes through "loading" and then exits to the Home screen. Reboot fixes it. And today, the camera wouldn't launch via the hardware button. Reboot fixed it too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99