Just got the Radar....feeling like I may have made a mistake...

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I never thought the phone was slow....just that (because of the scar of Android) I was afraid I was getting a phone that, for instance, won't be able to handle games that may be introduced to WP7.5. Just that the device is already outdated perhaps

I wish I knew this before I got my useless Atrix. Dual core, nVidia GPU... still slow and laggy just even scrolling through the launcher. Even CM7'd (nightlies, so far), it still has lag/stutter. I was told, I could OC it, just to get "buttery smooth"... lol. If I knew this, I would of chose the HD7S instead of getting locked into the Atrix (luckily, my work account was up for upgrade...). At least my Atrix was bootloader locked up until a few months ago. It's only real effect? Killing off any real ROM development. All present are simply deBLURed ROMs and one CM7 presence. Whoever said Android is open source, definately didn't consider the OEM/ODMs :straight:

Though, GUI responsiveness was only one aspect of why I left my Atrix on the sidelines. WP7 on the Focus&Titan is smoother and definately more responsive than my (several times, now) clean DFU recoverie'd (is that even a word?) iPod Touch 4th gen on iOS5... Only last part iOS holds a slim margin in is KB effectiveness, though that may have a bit to do with form factor and the size of my hands.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I wish I knew this before I got my useless Atrix. Dual core, nVidia GPU... still slow and laggy just even scrolling through the launcher. Even CM7'd (nightlies, so far), it still has lag/stutter. I was told, I could OC it, just to get "buttery smooth"... lol. If I knew this, I would of chose the HD7S instead of getting locked into the Atrix (luckily, my work account was up for upgrade...). At least my Atrix was bootloader locked up until a few months ago. It's only real effect? Killing off any real ROM development. All present are simply deBLURed ROMs and one CM7 presence. Whoever said Android is open source, definately didn't consider the OEM/ODMs :straight:

Though, GUI responsiveness was only one aspect of why I left my Atrix on the sidelines. WP7 on the Focus&Titan is smoother and definately more responsive than my (several times, now) clean DFU recoverie'd (is that even a word?) iPod Touch 4th gen on iOS5... Only last part iOS holds a slim margin in is KB effectiveness, though that may have a bit to do with form factor and the size of my hands.

there is a known bug with the mango keyboard that decreases accuracy and causes the keyboard to disappear.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
So I buy the unlock code from one of those sites, use it, and then go buy an AT&T SIM and use that for when I need talk? Sounds like a good plan....

I love GSM and am finding more reasons to never even look back at Sprint lol

Insert the new sim card and turn on the phone. It will recognize that you have a card from a different carrier, and you will be prompted to enter the unlock code.

Before buying an unlock code, maybe you could ask T-Mobile if they would give you one.

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
why do you all say you don't miss the keyboard of the arrive? are you just not physical keyboard fans? it's one of my favorite parts of the phone

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Insert the new sim card and turn on the phone. It will recognize that you have a card from a different carrier, and you will be prompted to enter the unlock code.

Before buying an unlock code, maybe you could ask T-Mobile if they would give you one.

I remember seeing a lot of people talking about this, and that T-Mobile is more lenient than AT&T. I've seen numerous posts of people simply calling T-Mobile and them just giving them the unlock code. Hope it's true....else I'll just pay for an unlock code; they're only like $20 bucks, and I think it would be worth it in the end if I have to do it so that I could fully use my phone.

why do you all say you don't miss the keyboard of the arrive? are you just not physical keyboard fans? it's one of my favorite parts of the phone

I just hardly used it except for e-mails, and that was only because the Arrive's screen was small. The Radar doesn't have the largest screen, but it feels perfect for me when typing in landscape. Because I rarely used it, it just added bulk and took away from a slim feeling, sleek device that just felt like a work phone that I have to carry around instead of device that was like...."my own". Plus, landscape mode is hit-or-miss with Windows Phone right now because you can only use it like 50% (maybe less?) of the time.

Plus, I don't like having to worry about multiple parts on a phone malfunctioning. If the keyboard messes up you simply have a heavy phone that you can only use the touch screen for input.....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
[EDIT: to the post above the post above mine]

^^ actually, all 2nd gen WP7 devices (so far) use a 45nm S2 SoC, vs the older 65nm S1 SoC in 1st gen. So at the very least, the power difference isn't nearly as extreme as it's made out to be. However, the GPU for all 2nd gen devices seem to be on an even level.

To be really fair, I've linked a YT video in the WPCentral forum past, comparing the Focus and Focus S (I made it, will look for it again if request), that included a speed loading of a web page (cleared cache), and it's honestly the largest performance difference I have noticed (~4 seconds loading CNN or Yahoo, iirc). The only other part is the latency between app switching (opening new app, in particular), though I was told samsung may have simply tweaked the animations on the Focus S.

So in all effect, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference, however, it's still nice to have. Besides, my HTC Inspire, then Moto Atrix were both plenty fast and "buttery smooth" before I got my Samsung Focus :p (though, according to most reviews of the QUAD! core ASUS Transformer Prime.... no amount of HW will save Android from a stuttering interface, only SW changes will).

When I'm using the Focus (still have some music on there I just haven't transfered over), it IS noticeable slower than my Titan in GUI feel. Though is it going to affect useage? No!

Why I have a Titan? Focus S didn't cut it, lol.

I'll have to search for the actual Google+ explanantion of it, but.....

Android graphics, rendering, and hardware acceleration explained by Google | The Verge

The biggest reason I left Android. In order for Android to even sniff at the smoothness of iOS, WP7.5, QNX (soon BBX) AND EVEN webOS (2.3 & 3.0 software), they would have to do a complete re-design of the framework. I can't count how many times my Nexus S would lag and just sit after I had touched an icon and how choppy panning and scrolling are (although rare at first...it seemed to get worse with each update that brought more features like Google Wallet). Now I just keep it as a spare just to play with Ice Cream Sandwich, use as a gaming device, and keep money on Google Wallet in case my wife needs the card.

Android was originally built to replace BlackBerry, but when the iPhone came out they rushed to compete with it instead of replace the BlackBerry (i.e. why people always say Android is catching up to iPhone....because it literally is lol). The framework that contained the graphics wasn't built on a foundation that was primarily to support touch screens. Take a look at the first Android video that was demoed; it was on a BlackBerry looking phone with a touch screen. It was never developed to look and function like an iPhone with icons and smooth scrolling because the BlackBerry never did.

This also explains why Microsoft took so long to get to the competition with Windows Phone, along with BlackBerry and their QNX phone currently; they're doing it from the ground up and doing it right. Building the OS from the ground up and (although it might suck for open source fans) a closed ecosystem, they handle the graphics the right away instead of building on top of something like Java.

Last edited:

Raedahr

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I never thought the phone was slow....just that (because of the scar of Android) I was afraid I was getting a phone that, for instance, won't be able to handle games that may be introduced to WP7.5. Just that the device is already outdated perhaps

There is beefier hardware out there for sure. But I think it's fine, especially at the price point. J have yet to find something it didn't do really well. I have experienced none of the few bugs others have reported. Has it grown on you any yet?

Sent from my HTC Raedahr 4G using Board Express

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yea I've pretty much let the whole spec thing go once I just started using without thinking about those things and do I love this phone. This is easily the best phone I've ever had. Screen is gorgeous, it's faster than even my iPod touch running iOS 5, and it feels good to know I will get Tango and Apollo at the end of next year.

Plus it doesn't look like high quality games will be on windows phone in the near future anyway, and I'm contract free so when the "more perfect phone" comes around....yea....

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to search for the actual Google+ explanantion of it, but.....

Android graphics, rendering, and hardware acceleration explained by Google | The Verge

The biggest reason I left Android. In order for Android to even sniff at the smoothness of iOS, WP7.5, QNX (soon BBX) AND EVEN webOS (2.3 & 3.0 software), they would have to do a complete re-design of the framework. I can't count how many times my Nexus S would lag and just sit after I had touched an icon and how choppy panning and scrolling are (although rare at first...it seemed to get worse with each update that brought more features like Google Wallet). Now I just keep it as a spare just to play with Ice Cream Sandwich, use as a gaming device, and keep money on Google Wallet in case my wife needs the card.

Android was originally built to replace BlackBerry, but when the iPhone came out they rushed to compete with it instead of replace the BlackBerry (i.e. why people always say Android is catching up to iPhone....because it literally is lol). The framework that contained the graphics wasn't built on a foundation that was primarily to support touch screens. Take a look at the first Android video that was demoed; it was on a BlackBerry looking phone with a touch screen. It was never developed to look and function like an iPhone with icons and smooth scrolling because the BlackBerry never did.

This also explains why Microsoft took so long to get to the competition with Windows Phone, along with BlackBerry and their QNX phone currently; they're doing it from the ground up and doing it right. Building the OS from the ground up and (although it might suck for open source fans) a closed ecosystem, they handle the graphics the right away instead of building on top of something like Java.

Yeah, I was brainless enough once to watch a 45min video of Andy Ruben explaining how GPU acceleration on HoneyComb worked, lol, and the reasons behind going GPU. Of course, my TF101 has yet to see the benefit, after 3 major OS revisions.... here's to hoping ICS is better.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was brainless enough once to watch a 45min video of Andy Ruben explaining how GPU acceleration on HoneyComb worked, lol, and the reasons behind going GPU. Of course, my TF101 has yet to see the benefit, after 3 major OS revisions.... here's to hoping ICS is better.

It won't be....people are saying that even the Galaxy Nexus is still laggy at times. So fair, Windows Phone is the only hiccup-free (except for some apps that aren't put together well) OS I've used. I just got an iPod Touch yesterday (traded my old Arrive for it) and on iOS 5 I was shocked at how laggy it was; it was like nearly the equivalent of Android.

Android won't be iOS or Windows Phone smooth until they re-write the framework, no matter how many cores they throw at it. The only Android device I've played with NO lag and was completely smooth was the Epic Touch Galaxy S II.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Good thing i was patient...looks like Nokia is bring something over to T-Mobile...sweet....

Still love my Radar, and if it's a Nokia Lumia 800 or 710 then I won't try to switch unless I can find a sweet enough deal somehow. This phone is perfect for me, and the only thing I want from Nokia devices is that Super AMOLED...

chriss1928

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Ive used quite a few windows phones on various carriers(Focus,Arrive,HD7, Dell venue pro, trophy and currently the radar)So just about all the first gen ones on the carriers and now the Radar on tmobile coming from the HD7 and DVP.

The radar is easily the best of the bunch. Like others said, sprints 3g is a joke(here in chicago anyway, my friend has an evo 3d and on 3g its laughable). At&T has possibly the best phone lineup of any carrier but their prices are pretty lame and not a fan of 2gb of data.

Back to the radar, the claims of battery life are 100% true it simply outclasses everything I've used and unless I stream something its like it doesn't move. The phone flies with mango and the 1ghz is MORE than enough on a windows phone idk why makes a big deal over it. The camera is pretty nice, it feels splendid in the hand, and overall its sexy as ****. The 8 gb of storage isn't a detractor for me since I stream through zune and download singles that I like here and there. The screen really is way nicer than the Hd7 and it does pull apps open faster.

The fact this phone is free at some places(I think tmobile had a promotion where you actually got $100 dollars if you traded in a working phone?) is amazing, it has received high praise everywhere for good reason. Would it be sweet to have some super massive screen? Sure, am I going to give up this absurdly good battery life for it? Nah, Ill stick with this it reminds me of my old curve 8530 except it doesn't feel 10 years old. ;)

Just my 2 cents, any windows phone is great really.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Ive used quite a few windows phones on various carriers(Focus,Arrive,HD7, Dell venue pro, trophy and currently the radar)So just about all the first gen ones on the carriers and now the Radar on tmobile coming from the HD7 and DVP.

The radar is easily the best of the bunch. Like others said, sprints 3g is a joke(here in chicago anyway, my friend has an evo 3d and on 3g its laughable). At&T has possibly the best phone lineup of any carrier but their prices are pretty lame and not a fan of 2gb of data.

Back to the radar, the claims of battery life are 100% true it simply outclasses everything I've used and unless I stream something its like it doesn't move. The phone flies with mango and the 1ghz is MORE than enough on a windows phone idk why makes a big deal over it. The camera is pretty nice, it feels splendid in the hand, and overall its sexy as ****. The 8 gb of storage isn't a detractor for me since I stream through zune and download singles that I like here and there. The screen really is way nicer than the Hd7 and it does pull apps open faster.

The fact this phone is free at some places(I think tmobile had a promotion where you actually got $100 dollars if you traded in a working phone?) is amazing, it has received high praise everywhere for good reason. Would it be sweet to have some super massive screen? Sure, am I going to give up this absurdly good battery life for it? Nah, Ill stick with this it reminds me of my old curve 8530 except it doesn't feel 10 years old. ;)

Just my 2 cents, any windows phone is great really.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. This is definitely the best phone I've had, and watching all this Galaxy Nexus hype is making me laugh because this phone is still faster than that phone with all the bells and whistles it has. Same for the iPhone 4s (minus SiRi....but hopefully Microsoft gets TellMe to that level soon.)

I guess I didn't consider that this phone was more of an entry level device than a powerhouse I'm use to having to worry about having with Android. Not once have I had to try to reset this phone because of a lockup or lag, and i just love it when i can compare my phone to peoples' Android and iPhone (iOS5 really) devices and open apps and scroll with no problem while they're waiting on it to respond lol.

chriss1928

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I had an iPhone 4 twice one Verizon and at&t and looking at a friends 4S I feel bad(he's on sprint came from evo3d and evo4g before). I saw him load YouTube in low quality vs the radar in HD was just funny. This phone doesn't lag on like anything and the battery is a warrior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb