HTC Titan - Screen Bleed or Pressure Bleeding issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapple

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just posted a video to youtube showing the issue I see with the Titan I received in the mail the other day. Basically, if you goto a dark screen, say the brightness setup screen, and press semi-hard against any corner (or press against the back of the phone), you get screen bleeding or pressure bleeding.... The video I uploaded shows this... Is anyone else experiencing this issue or is it an issue at all? I did not see this on my old iphone 3gs, so it was weird seeing this on a much newer phone. Ill embed the video here... please check your phones to see if the same thing happens...

Link to video:

HTC Titan - Windows Phone Screen Bleed Pressure Bleed - YouTube

Last edited:

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Its a capacitive touch screen meaning you don't need to press the screen with any pressure and why in earth would you press on the back if the phone?.....i mean seriously you should know better.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
BTW my Vizio LED HDTV also has this "problem" but I don't go poking at the screen because I'm not supposed to. :rolleyes:

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
So if I press hard in my LCD screen I'll see some displacement like a tv. Ok... So...? Are we saying this is a bug? I assumed it would do this and be noticeable on dark areas. I would never press that hard in this careen anyway.

Sent from my kick-*** Titan using Board Express

Last edited:

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
yea, but thats a tv.... your not supposed to touch it, unlike a smartphone...

touch and press so hard as to make the LCD distort are two entirely different things. BTW I was able to replicate what you demonstrated on the video and quite frankly I don't care because I never press the display so hard. I wouldn't have even noticed this if you haven't started this OCD thread in the first place.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually, all TN panel tech does this. No exceptions. It's one way to tell between TN/*VA and IPS. It's part of why Apple used a hard capacitive touch panel (not to be confused with the display panel itself, though recent Sammy phones have the touch panel be the top 2-3 layers of their OLED displays during manuf. (total of ~7 layers, iirc), so they do end up being the same panel, lol) for the first iPhone, instead of a soft resistive.

Also of note, an IPS panel (slightly less of note, since it's totally irrevelent to this pressure discussion, the iPhone 4/4S utilizes an IPS display, along with several LG phones) is immune to disortions of image when under pressure :) So my Dell U2711.... will display a straight image until the panel breaks under pressure :D

Reactions: Judge_Daniel

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
This just in: things perform less than optimally when exposed to situations they were never designed for. Full story at 11.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
What the heck, guys. Give the guy a break. WPCentral is usually renowned for having helpful and courteous users. This does not fit with that description. He is a sincerely concerned consumer, so address the issue and be done.

As for the issue, that really is part of it being an LCD screen. The LCD has a backlight that is always on, but is covered by the liquid crystals. When you put enough force on the liquid crystals, they become so thin that the backlight becomes more apparent.

Just because this is normal for LCD doesn't mean it should be this bad on the Titan, though. A better, more unyielding, design would have reduced it. I'm sad to say that I do not have my own Titan to test it against, however, so I cannot help you with whether it is your specific handset or not.

ilLogikAL

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
new user here...ordered my Titan week and half ago...still haven't received it. I've been checking this site out for the past month because I had planned on getting a windows phone. This site provides most of the wp7 news I need. But...

I'm amazed at the posts from some of the people here. Since when was asking a question "the dumbest post ever" ? The dude is asking a question...no need to attack him because some of you automatically think he's attacking wp7 or the titan or whatever. Jeez!!

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
new user here...ordered my Titan week and half ago...still haven't received it. I've been checking this site out for the past month because I had planned on getting a windows phone. This site provides most of the wp7 news I need. But...

I'm amazed at the posts from some of the people here. Since when was asking a question "the dumbest post ever" ? The dude is asking a question...no need to attack him because some of you automatically think he's attacking wp7 or the titan or whatever. Jeez!!

Welcome! I'm sorry that this is one of your initial experiences with WPCentral. People are obviously passionate about WP and it shows in some of the conversations here. There are many, many more acceptable comments made here, though. Here's to you having a better experience from now on! :)

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, all TN panel tech does this. No exceptions. It's one way to tell between TN/*VA and IPS. It's part of why Apple used a hard capacitive touch panel (not to be confused with the display panel itself, though recent Sammy phones have the touch panel be the top 2-3 layers of their OLED displays during manuf. (total of ~7 layers, iirc), so they do end up being the same panel, lol) for the first iPhone, instead of a soft resistive.

Also of note, an IPS panel (slightly less of note, since it's totally irrevelent to this pressure discussion, the iPhone 4/4S utilizes an IPS display, along with several LG phones) is immune to disortions of image when under pressure :) So my Dell U2711.... will display a straight image until the panel breaks under pressure :D

This is not a TN panel. Most likely some type of *VA tech. The iPhone doesn't exhibit similar behavior not because it's IPS, but because its structure doesn't allow any give. Not having a removeable back cover for a removable battery allows the iPhone to have greater structural integrity. However, not having any give also makes the iPhone screen more likely to shatter when dropped.

Last edited:

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
This is not a TN panel. Most likely some type of *VA tech. The iPhone doesn't exhibit similar behavior not because it's IPS, but because its structure doesn't allow any give. Not having a removeable back cover for a removable battery allows the iPhone to have greater structural integrity. However, not having any give also makes the iPhone screen more likely to shatter when dropped.
I already mentioned that... Though, admittedly, if this is indeed a PVA (no reason to use MVA), then it has the most atrocious black detail and levels I have ever observed from a PVA panel. That, and HTC has been known to fib it's actual utilized panel (case in point, HTC sensation) :(.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Last edited:

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I already mentioned that... Though, admittedly, if this is indeed a PVA (no reason to use MVA), then it has the most atrocious black detail and levels I have ever observed from a PVA panel. That, and HTC has been known to fib it's actual utilized panel (case in point, HTC sensation) :(.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

TN panels are extremely obvious. The colors invert at angle. This is a very good screen and obviously isn't TN. Black levels are pretty good for a phone LCD as well. Not sure what you're smoking. I'm sure it's PVA. That said, not all PVA panels are equal. I'm sure PVA panels in huge $2000 TVs are nicer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte