Anyone using the Lumia in North America?

malik2k1

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
No idea but you got it from DHL right I will call them up and see why its so expensive it shouldn't cost that much.
Hey Guys,

I got my lumia a couple days ago in vancouver from Clove as well. I paid 78.54 for taxes and duty for it.

I had a quick question though, I've noticed that 3G is working fine but i've also noticed that occasionally my phone shows me an H instead of a 3G which means HSDPA+. Is there any reason why our phones don't have H coverage more often? I only ever get it for a couple seconds now and then. I also find that my 3G coverage isn't as strong as it used to be on my HD7S. Not to sure if this is specific to my handset or if people are noticing it too.

Loving the phone otherwise. Quite an amazing piece of hardware.

Also, i'm a bit puzzled as to why you had to pay 118 for duty when I only had to pay 78??? And we're both in Vancouver... :S

Last edited:

malik2k1

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Another heads up, when you first setup your phones, make sure you keep your region as English (United Kingdom). The Nokia music app has a feature called mixed radio that is installed if you keep it on UK. If you switch the region on first boot to United States, then the app doesn't have the mix radio feature. Once it's all installed and booted, you can switch your region back to English (United States).

The mix radio feature is well worth resetting the phone and setting it up again.

Also, has anyone else been able to get HSDPA to work on their phones in North America? I'm still only seeing 3G versus the H which pops up rarely for a second or 2.

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Also, has anyone else been able to get HSDPA to work on their phones in North America? I'm still only seeing 3G versus the H which pops up rarely for a second or 2.

I live in Redmond,WA and I get H most of the time actually. It depends on what towers are next to you I guess. I get H a lot, 3G sometimes and E at home (got wifi at home, so doesn't matter).

malik2k1

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I live in Redmond,WA and I get H most of the time actually. It depends on what towers are next to you I guess. I get H a lot, 3G sometimes and E at home (got wifi at home, so doesn't matter).
I wonder why it's not working too well here in Vancouver, BC. For the most part, I've never really had any issues with coverage on Fido.

Any other Vancouver users experiencing a lack of HSDPA on their phones?

Kinslayer, where did you order your phone from? And on the box, did it show 3G+ support on 4 bands or 3? My box from Clove only showed 900/1900/2100 under 3G+ support even though Nokia's website says it also supports 850.

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why it's not working too well here in Vancouver, BC. For the most part, I've never really had any issues with coverage on Fido.

Any other Vancouver users experiencing a lack of HSDPA on their phones?

Kinslayer, where did you order your phone from? And on the box, did it show 3G+ support on 4 bands or 3? My box from Clove only showed 900/1900/2100 under 3G+ support even though Nokia's website says it also supports 850.

Got mine from the UK. My brother picked it up for me from Phones4U or whatever that store is called. Box says the same as yours. But I already knew it was missing the 850 even though the specs say otherwise.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Another heads up, when you first setup your phones, make sure you keep your region as English (United Kingdom). The Nokia music app has a feature called mixed radio that is installed if you keep it on UK. If you switch the region on first boot to United States, then the app doesn't have the mix radio feature. Once it's all installed and booted, you can switch your region back to English (United States).

The mix radio feature is well worth resetting the phone and setting it up again.

No, no HSPA+. Seeing 4G, but never knew there *could* be an H until a rash of postings today. Not getting anything close to fast on cellular, and hardly getting a connection at all at home. Ugh. (I am new to at&t...)

malik2k1

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Weird. Seems like our experiences are all different. I didn't realize the phone could say 4G?? I thought it was only capable of E, 3G and H.

I wonder if there's a deeper diagnostic app that lets us look at/ alter our HSPA/HSDPA settings like we could on the Samsung Focus.

jameskk1

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm in SC and I just got one this morning. Ordered on ebay and was supposed to have the 850/1900 US bands but it's the UK version with the 900/1900/2100 bands. I've notified the seller and I think that they are giving me a partial refund since I paid $100 over what clove.uk had it for. Anyway, AT&T uses 1900 band in my area anyway so at least it works where I am 98% of the time. I've also got a Samsung Focus and Focus S and my while the Nokia is cool, the Samsung Focus S is a better phone in most respects. Volume is louder, sound is clearer. But, the Nokia really feels good in the hand. I am just having a hard time hearing people on the phone. Mine hasn't received the latest update yet so maybe that will change.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Anyone receive a Lumia 800 from NCIX? Ordered one when the story was listed here in WPCentral, still hasn't shipped. NCIX does state its got 850 HSDPA.

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, according to Nokia customer care there is currently only one version out there and it does not have HSDPA850... It took about five emails back and forth for them to figure it out:straight:

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, according to Nokia customer care there is currently only one version out there and it does not have HSDPA850... It took about five emails back and forth for them to figure it out:straight:

I can confirm this. I just received mine from NCIX, it doesn't support HSDPA 850. They've also updated their website to reflect this. They offered to take it back free of charge.... but it's so pretty.. :D

queritor

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I purchased an Italian model from expansys and I'm seeing the H here in Charlotte, NC. I have no idea what bands it came with. I can't see any reference on the box and the manuals are all in Italian. :confused:

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm this. I just received mine from NCIX, it doesn't support HSDPA 850. They've also updated their website to reflect this. They offered to take it back free of charge.... but it's so pretty.. :D

I just got off the horn with NCIX as well. It looks like they only make Euro versions right now. I'm very tempted to keep it because it's one of the nicest pieces of tech I've ever seen, but I'm sure there will be 850 Nokias out in another month or two...

Also regardless of what you read/hope, 850 is not supported on this phone, and in Canada 850 is the choice hspa band, 1900 may work in some places but it's an afterthought and it won't be as good as 850 in most cases.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss