Two Titans Microphone Sound Quality - Poor

planetbrian411

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
We just received two Titans and had to return one for a defective LCD and now everyone is telling us that our voice sounds "muffled, in a box, microphone is convered" on both Titans. I did do a hard reset on both phones before activation and we do not have any 3rd party apps installed.

We like the size and cpu speed of the phone but, the sound quality is poor. The ATT network is noticeably slower than Sprint. We live in a high-rise condo in the middle of the city so signal quality should not be an issue. Overall the switch from the Arrive w/ Sprint to the Titan w/ ATT has not been a move forward.

We are not happy with the Titan and both of them are being returned as they seem to have several hardware and/or firmware defects. We are keeping our Arrives and Sprint.

The Titan does not seem to be ready for release to the public.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same issue. I'm not sure how often, but I have heard comments that it sounds like I'm whispering or something.

Its a shame, international carriers have pushed a couple updates. I wish ATT would push them out too. Might make a difference.

tjwheels

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list, I've had a few people tell me that my voice is somewhat muffled. I like the phone but a few little issues are starting to add up.

planetbrian411

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same issue. I'm not sure how often, but I have heard comments that it sounds like I'm whispering or something.

Its a shame, international carriers have pushed a couple updates. I wish ATT would push them out too. Might make a difference.

Do the updates fix this problem? Can we install the international updates ourselves?

planetbrian411

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
We can not hear other noises that are right next to us. Talking with my wife from my Titan to her Titan, I could not hear a tea pot whistling that was right next to her.

I have also made a call with the back cover off and it still sounds bad.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
This should be a firmware issue because I was playing with the voice stuff the other day and noticed that I could back away from the phone by literally feet, speak in a normal voice, and it would still nail the "call so and so on mobile" type stuff. So it's not a mechanical or physical mic sensitivity issue in my opinion, which is good.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
This should be a firmware issue because I was playing with the voice stuff the other day and noticed that I could back away from the phone by literally feet, speak in a normal voice, and it would still nail the "call so and so on mobile" type stuff. So it's not a mechanical or physical mic sensitivity issue in my opinion, which is good.

hopefully fixable yes, but the risk becomes do we keep it past the 30 day retuen policy hopng HTC addresses it or exchange while the getting is good?

I'd hate to give it up and have a firmware update fix it later (or sooner) but I'd hate to be stuck with a beautiful device that I can not speak on either. :dry

Reactions: planetbrian411

planetbrian411

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
hopefully fixable yes, but the risk becomes do we keep it past the 30 day retuen policy hopng HTC addresses it or exchange while the getting is good?

I'd hate to give it up and have a firmware update fix it later (or sooner) but I'd hate to be stuck with a beautiful device that I can not speak on either. :dry

That is exactly our dilemma. If they fix it within 30 days then we will keep them. If not then we are switching back.

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
That is exactly our dilemma. If they fix it within 30 days then we will keep them. If not then we are switching back.
Same here... All 5 phones have the same problem... The other party can't here us clear. No matter where we are.. close to the cell or not.

For everybody who having the same problem.. I just spoke to HTC Hardware Department. They even not aware of this problem. Please call them and let them know. So at lease they will add this to the known issue list. Their phone # is: (866) 449-8358

Last edited:

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Just posted in the other topic, but might as well post in this one as well. I love everything about the titan except for the microphone issue. I might go crazy if I have to hear from my girlfriend one more time that it sounds like I am underwater. I always try to be sure to not block one of the microphone holes etc and I have full reception.

Dolemike

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
For everybody who having the same problem.. I just spoke to HTC Hardware Department. They even not aware of this problem. Please call them and let them know. So at lease they will add this to the known issue list. Their phone # is: (866) 449-8358

Thanks for the number! Just called and the guy said they haven't heard of any issues with the microphone, but said it could be attenuation due to signal? I'm not so sure about that one - I had between 3 to 5 bars this morning when I was told I sounded muffled.

It's almost like it's not picking up the higher frequencies; I wonder if there's a way to get to those settings?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the number! Just called and the guy said they haven't heard of any issues with the microphone, but said it could be attenuation due to signal? I'm not so sure about that one - I had between 3 to 5 bars this morning when I was told I sounded muffled.

It's almost like it's not picking up the higher frequencies; I wonder if there's a way to get to those settings?

It is most definitely not a signal issue. It's either a problem with the case interfering with the mic or something is calibrated wrong and needs a firmware update.

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Agreed - not a signal issue. Almost always have all bars filled when it happens. My guess is the noise/echo cancellation is bugging out and cancelling some of my voice

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh come on, now it's a physical phone issue? That means I need to exhaustively test mine somehow to make sure I don't have the problem. Just the few people I've talked to so far haven't complained doesn't mean everything is perfect. I was hoping that I could wait this out and get a firmware-type fix. I'll see if everyone has luck with getting a new handset. Furthermore, if it turns into a "85% of Titans have a broken microphone" then I'm gonna be mad...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh come on, now it's a physical phone issue? That means I need to exhaustively test mine somehow to make sure I don't have the problem. Just the few people I've talked to so far haven't complained doesn't mean everything is perfect. I was hoping that I could wait this out and get a firmware-type fix. I'll see if everyone has luck with getting a new handset. Furthermore, if it turns into a "85% of Titans have a broken microphone" then I'm gonna be mad...

Firmware updates can fix hardware issues. If an early patch of ATT Titans are improperly calibrated then getting a replacement is much faster than waiting for an update (assuming one comes).

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The guy in the other post says changing his phone out he saw night and day difference. I've got to figure this out inside the 30 days window or at least swap it out and if the problem is still there hope the 30 days to switch to the focus s starts with the swap.

I can't stand my girlfriend complaining about it. Funny thing about the problem is that she can hear me just fine when using tango...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The guy in the other post says changing his phone out he saw night and day difference. I've got to figure this out inside the 30 days window or at least swap it out and if the problem is still there hope the 30 days to switch to the focus s starts with the swap.

I can't stand my girlfriend complaining about it. Funny thing about the problem is that she can hear me just fine when using tango...

Interesting. If it sounds fine using video chat then there's a good chance that a software fix could solve the problem with call quality.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb