Call Voice quality issues

Are you having in Call Voice Quality issue with your Titan?

• Yes

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 38.2%

• Total voters

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So I was freaking out about my Titan and I did a test call with someone with an iPhone... I sounded pretty clear.

I saw other people posting these pics of their phone, so I'll include mine as well...

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed something with my Titan. When I talk to someone on my Titan there is a difference in voice quality from holding the phone to your ear verses put the phone face down on a table (which puts the phone in speaker mode). Caller told me I sounded more natural with the phone face down.
I observe that the part where the antennae are the case has two holes near the edge on both sides its like the rivot the antenna to the case but those holes must serve a purpose for mic pickup and audio?..don't know..
Maybe HTC just needs to put a little grill down where the mic is just like how they have a grill for the part you put your ear on. Then send us all a new case.

Last edited:

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
C-111128-B01
1127A

WNC-US-0915
SL.11.10.03

I shall test out the call quality at some point.

Well, first call (to my brother): he told me that I sounded muffled and that I sounded like I was far away from the phone. I was pretty disheartened after that.

Afterwards, I called 4 friends who knew how I sounded like on my old phone, and three told me that I sounded clear and/or that there were no problems hearing me, while one told me that I was clear, but a little quiet.

For reference, I used my left hand to talk (at least to my friends; I cannot recall which one I used while talking to my brother), and I used someone's suggestion in the thread of holding it so that the mic is around the same altitude as my mouth.

Anyway, I said I would test mine out with that case, and I did~

airsmith

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I just don't get it. Sometimes people hear me fine, other times can't hear a word I say. All HTC has told me is to do a factory reset, that they have never heard of this issue. For some reason, if I have 1 bar of signal, I am muffled 100% of the time. I get 1 bar at my house and can't talk on this phone. Confused I am!

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Are all your friends on AT&T network?

I don't know which networks they are on. However, I just contacted one that said I was clear, and she is on T-Mobile.

Edit: Called another (Verizon) and she told me I was "kinda quiet". No complaints of being muffled, though (I asked). I was speaking a little more quietly than normal, but I don't think it was the main cause... maybe? Don't know; you be the judge.

Found out that one of the friends who told me I was clear is on ATT.

Anyway, after reading the top mic noise-cancellation issue, I strongly believe it is that now. In any case, I think I will stick with my current Titan and be wary of my speaking volume until a workaround is found and/or software/firmware fix is available.

Last edited:

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's really important that if you live in the US, you call HTC at 866-449-8358 to report the issue. Describe it as call quality and microphone issue. I did. The more people report this, the more they will escalate and tell us the issue and whether it's fixable.

Also, please post in which country you live. There's been chatter that those in Europe are not having this microphone call quality issue, whereas in North America/US we are. Doing this will help confirm that it's likely firmware and not hardware.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue with the "muffle sound" as well and could not deal with it. Took it back to the AT&T store. I need my phone to function as a phone first and foremost. I really wanted to like the Titan as its a great phone, but its almost as if HTC did not a give a zhit that call quality blew on this model and just wanted to get it out the masses.

I have had plenty of HTC devices going way back to the WM days and while some suffered reception and batter life issues (android mostly), I was overall pleased with the device. But the most basic function of a phone not working correctly is a glaring omission of QC.

Cmon HTC....get your zhit together and fix this please :)

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I got a call from HTC Escalation team this morning. The rep says that they are trying to find a "good" units for tests and me (we have 5 units) to participate. They already aware of this problem and it's a software that actually will be patched. Hopefully this will happen soon.

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I got a call from HTC Escalation team this morning. The rep says that they are trying to find a "good" units for tests and me (we have 5 units) to participate. They already aware of this problem and it's a software that actually will be patched. Hopefully this will happen soon.
Excellent news - thanks. Keep us updated.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My future father in law went and got a Titan today.

1) Had reception issues where his old Android didn't
2) I finally got to hear what "muffled" sounds like when he called me. I'm on day 33 but I think if I were on day 29 I'd take it back and get a Focus S.
3) He's on his way to exchange for a Focus S.

mberdych

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Europe

Just to comment, I live in Europe and have the muffled issue as well. I had a call yesterday and one of my friend told me I sound muffled (like HF in car really or far away from the phone), so I opened the phone, covered the second microphone with tape and did another test call to the same person. Immediately he said it is much better. HTC, bring on fix for this and for Wifi issues.

arzoo

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Contacted HTC via email about muffled sound quality when using the speaker phone. This is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at HTC. We are sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with speaker phone on your HTC Titan.

We are aware of this troubling issue and we are working closely with your carrier to develop a maintenance release to correct it. Our developers are currently working on this and we hope to have an update available for you soon. We do not yet have an ETA to provide for you. To stay on top of release dates for upgrades and new devices, you can follow our social network feeds on Twitter and Facebook, or our official website at htc.com/us. However, you will receive direct notification to your device once this is available for download and installation.

Chukk

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Just got my wife an AT&T Titan after researching Titan's mic issue and sure enough it does have the muffled microphone issue. My wife loves the phone way better than her old iPhone. I am convinced it is a software/firmware issue. When talking on the Titan it sounds like the mic cuts in and out, I think this has to do with HTC using the other mics for active noise cancellation. The phone seems to have better call quality when in a quiet area versus a loud or noisy environment. Hopefully this can be tweaked through software. Honestly everything else is so awesome about this phone the call quality issue is not a deal breaker for now. The screen size rocks!

First experience with wp7.5 and I'm truly impressed. I'm glad to see MS is in the game to win. Can't even list all the things my wife and I love about this phone. Glad I've skipped android so far from what I've read.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

The screen on the Titan is quite amazing isn't it ?

I have one too and no problems with my mic fortunately.

Hope they come up with a mic fix soon for the AT&T Titan.

Welcome along to WPCentral RogBott. :)

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Just got my wife an AT&T Titan after researching Titan's mic issue and sure enough it does have the muffled microphone issue. My wife loves the phone way better than her old iPhone. I am convinced it is a software/firmware issue. When talking on the Titan it sounds like the mic cuts in and out, I think this has to do with HTC using the other mics for active noise cancellation. The phone seems to have better call quality when in a quiet area versus a loud or noisy environment. Hopefully this can be tweaked through software. Honestly everything else is so awesome about this phone the call quality issue is not a deal breaker for now. The screen size rocks!

First experience with wp7.5 and I'm truly impressed. I'm glad to see MS is in the game to win. Can't even list all the things my wife and I love about this phone. Glad I've skipped android so far from what I've read.

Try the suggestion here. Hope it helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb