Voice quality fix investigation

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I put a tiny square of masking tape on the outside of the phone shell (couldn't get electrical tape to stick). looks pretty silly, but We'll see if it helps
thanks for testing, I will do so myself today. I'm going to also try covering the actual phone under the case and see if that makes a difference.

Also, I noticed your signature; would you be willing to briefly say why you went from the Focus S to the Titan?

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
thanks for testing, I will do so myself today. I'm going to also try covering the actual phone under the case and see if that makes a difference.

Also, I noticed your signature; would you be willing to briefly say why you went from the Focus S to the Titan?
Yeah by shell I meant the actual grey casing of the phone, not my aftermarket case.

One of the main reasons I went from the Focus S to the Titan was so I could get my $199 back and score the Titan for a penny. Also I thought the bigger screen was a selling point and the additional settings HTC includes that Samsung doesn't have.

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah by shell I meant the actual grey casing of the phone, not my aftermarket case.

One of the main reasons I went from the Focus S to the Titan was so I could get my $199 back and score the Titan for a penny. Also I thought the bigger screen was a selling point and the additional settings HTC includes that Samsung doesn't have.
thanks. Sorry, by 'case' I meant the phone case. So what i'm going to do is remove the phone's actual cover, and apply the tape on top of the hole underneath the htc cover.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I knew if I kept lurking this forum I'd come to regret returning my titan. I just didn't know it would be this soon!

;)

Good luck hope it works

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
HTC should issue a statement saying there's no problem, try talking different, here's a free case to fix a problem that never existed... Worked for Apple...

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I tested my Titan with electrical tape on the top microphone (next to headphone jack) both UNDER the phone's aluminum case and OVER the phone's aluminum case.

Here's what's improved for me:
- much less background noise for receiving party, changing the volume rocker is no longer loud to the receiving party.

Here's what's not improved much:
- the chief complaint of my muffled voice to receiving party hears is improved, but not by much.

so, I'm disappointed on the muffled voice but background noise is now not an issue.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
when you say "changing the volume rocker volume" what is this noise? Is it just the same noise from rubbing the back case as you reach for the volume rocker, or is it something else? (Im not sure if your aware, but if you slide your finger in the case anywhere during a call/recording, you will get a very loud noise on the other end. I have noticed, just making voice recordings, simply handling the phone and changing positions in the hand will make this loud noise.

Is your volume rocker sound different than this?

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that HTC sent out an update this morning for the audio issue?
My phone had a reboot around 4:30am eastern based on the last boot time app.

Tatnall007

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 of these and they both sound muffled at the far end. However, the far end sounds the same with a headphone/mic setup and on speakerphone, so this is very likely a software issue. [I bet it would be the same with Bluetooth, but I haven't tried it.] They *need* fix this with a sw/fw update.

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
when you say "changing the volume rocker volume" what is this noise? Is it just the same noise from rubbing the back case as you reach for the volume rocker, or is it something else? (Im not sure if your aware, but if you slide your finger in the case anywhere during a call/recording, you will get a very loud noise on the other end. I have noticed, just making voice recordings, simply handling the phone and changing positions in the hand will make this loud noise.

Is your volume rocker sound different than this?
hi @blacklac the receiving party complains that when I adjust the volume rocker, they hear a loud clicking or pinging sound; they say this is not the same as what you describe (that loud scraping sound of my hand moving and touching the phone (or case)).

BucDan

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I gave them a call earlier about this issue and I guess the news of muffled quality caught up. Lets get going HTC and fix it.

issieman

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm I don't have the mic problem issue. I live in the UK though.

To test I left a 1min voice-mail message for myself and it sounded clear.

Am not sure if this is an AT&T thing or a cover issue as mentioned in previous post.

mberdych

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed this issue after couple of weeks, also live in Europe. People are not complaining always, just sometimes, issue seems not to be there all the time, maybe environment plays the role. But definitely, here in Prague, I have had the problem already.

arzoo

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I contacted HTC recently and this was their response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at HTC. We are sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with speaker phone on your HTC Titan.

We are aware of this troubling issue and we are working closely with your carrier to develop a maintenance release to correct it. Our developers are currently working on this and we hope to have an update available for you soon. We do not yet have an ETA to provide for you. To stay on top of release dates for upgrades and new devices, you can follow our social network feeds on Twitter and Facebook, or our official website at htc.com/us. However, you will receive direct notification to your device once this is available for download and installation.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Finally, acknowledgement.

Send a reply that only ATT users have it and to push ATT to send out updates that European users already have. I hate ATT for software updates...

Elfman12

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I got a replacement Titan through Amazon, and the issue is the same on the new phone. If there's no background noise in the room, the voice is normally pretty clear. ANY background noise and the quality goes straight to crap. Confirmed on both phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234