what does "reset your phone" do?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Is it just a simple data wipe or does it reload the whole OS?

Between the mic issues (phone calls, Tango, AND video recording) and possibly now not getting .mp4 videos that are sent to me, to play. Im considering a fresh OS install before I attempt a return.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Reset of the phone brings the phone back to factory OS. Just like when you first opened the box to start the phone up.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
ok, so its atleast worth a shot to attempt a possible bug fix by doing this?

not playing back .mp4's (recieved via email/whatsapp) is a bit rediculous.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
ok, so its atleast worth a shot to attempt a possible bug fix by doing this?

not playing back .mp4's (recieved via email/whatsapp) is a bit rediculous.
It always worth a shot to reset start fresh.

I dont think you can play MP4s from email. I guess MP4's would be to big of files compared to .3gp or .3g2. I guess you have to FTP the MP4's into the phone or use Zune from the PC.
Right from HTC's web site
-----------------------------
Video supported formats:
•Playback:.3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m4v, .mbr, .wmv (Windows Media Video 9 and VC-1)
•Recording:.mp4
(You can only playback a .3gp or .3g2 video if the video is an email attachment or is part of an MMS message.)
--------------------

I not even sure how you bring up the player manually. It funny how its windows but there is no standalone fully functioning windows media player on the phone. No Microsoft's own Silverlight support either.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
ahh, I missed that part about email/mms/IM. That is too bad, especially considering WP records video in mp4. Maybe it converts to something else before attaching though, I noticed emailed videos are very compressed and quality loss is noticeable. It just doesn't make sense to me considering how common .mp4 is these days. I mean, it already downloaded the file, just play it. :/. Considering Android and I think even Blackberry use it for recorded content. I wonder if that's an OS thing or HTC thing.

Thanks for the info anyways. :)

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
ahh, I missed that part about email/mms/IM. That is too bad, especially considering WP records video in mp4. Maybe it converts to something else before attaching though, I noticed emailed videos are very compressed and quality loss is noticeable. It just doesn't make sense to me considering how common .mp4 is these days. I mean, it already downloaded the file, just play it. :/. Considering Android and I think even Blackberry use it for recorded content. I wonder if that's an OS thing or HTC thing.

Thanks for the info anyways. :)
I willing to bet that its a Microsoft spec. Maybe the thinking is people are not going to use email to send/recieve MP4 on the capped data plans but they give you the shared space on the skydrive to share a link. I not sure how that helps you though.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
you can play mp4 from your e-mail

It always worth a shot to reset start fresh.

I dont think you can play MP4s from email. I guess MP4's would be to big of files compared to .3gp or .3g2. I guess you have to FTP the MP4's into the phone or use Zune from the PC.
Right from HTC's web site
-----------------------------
Video supported formats:
?Playback:.3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m4v, .mbr, .wmv (Windows Media Video 9 and VC-1)
?Recording:.mp4
(You can only playback a .3gp or .3g2 video if the video is an email attachment or is part of an MMS message.)
--------------------

I not even sure how you bring up the player manually. It funny how its windows but there is no standalone fully functioning windows media player on the phone. No Microsoft's own Silverlight support either.

I just sent an mp4 file to my gmail and it played fine on my phone. clicked the attachment and wait for it to download and clicked it again and it played.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I just sent an mp4 file to my gmail and it played fine on my phone. clicked the attachment and wait for it to download and clicked it again and it played.

did you send the file from your phone? I am able to watch videos I send, but not ones from other people. I even tried Gmail and I still could not play .mp4's from my buddies Galaxy Nexus. Videos I send him play fine.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
All your contacts will be saved in the cloud and you can download your apps. Game saves however won't, I had to start Angry birds since the beginning :'(

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Tried sending myself a 25MB Power Point file a while back and couldn't get the attachment to open over 3G after numerous attempts. But WiFi downloaded and opened the file just fine. Might be the same for MP4s.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Tried sending myself a 25MB Power Point file a while back and couldn't get the attachment to open over 3G after numerous attempts. But WiFi downloaded and opened the file just fine. Might be the same for MP4s.

That is a good thought, but i was on Wifi. :/

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
All your contacts will be saved in the cloud and you can download your apps. Game saves however won't, I had to start Angry birds since the beginning :'(

Oh ok. Contacts are my main concern. Is this automatic through Live or do i need to make sure i have this enabled somewhere?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok. Contacts are my main concern. Is this automatic through Live or do i need to make sure i have this enabled somewhere?
If you look at your Live account via PC and your contacts are there, then that will be the first thing that syncs after you enter your Live ID once you reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb