Did Mango Break Trophy's Bluetooth?

TrophyShelf

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My wife got a Trophy this summer and she loves the phone. Only one problem, really. It kind of a sucks as a phone. She is hard to hear clearly when she calls me (and others) on it. Camera=fine. Web=fine. OS=fine. Call quality=not so much.

She got around this by getting a Motorola Bluetooth device (H17) which definitely improved the sound quality of her calls. Then along came the Mango update. Her H17 no longer worked (although it would say it was connected). No one could hear her if she called them and she couldn't hear them.

We tried uninstalling, re-pairing, and so on. Motorola claims it is a dumb device that needs no driver updates or whatever. Verizon support punted her to Microsoft. Microsoft blamed Motorola, and so on.

Here it is 4 months later and still no solution for this, apparently.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this? It just doesn't seem right that an OS update would break something as basic as Bluetooth connectivity.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
BT works fine on my Mango HTC Trophy. Paired to both cars, and jabra and Blackberry BT devices. It's not the Trophy or Mango...:cool:

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My Trophy pairs fine with my Motorola Roadster BT. I would suggest that you go to a Verizon store and see if their display Trophy (if you can find one) will pair with your H17. If it does then there is something wrong with your phone and they should replace it for you.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
@trophyshelf that's weird... I purchased a Motorola H30 for my HD7 after the Mango update and it worked fine, but a few days later my phone froze and wouldn't load past the HTC logo screen. I had to hard reset, and a few days later it happened again. I stopped using the Bluetooth earpiece several weeks ago and haven't had a problem since. My phone is back to operating flawlessly.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I updated to Mango but did not reboot. After I had some Bluetooth connectivity issues I rebooted and 3G and Bluetooth were broken but all other features worked. Verizon suggested hard reset. I was afraid to do that so I rolled back to my pre-Mango version using Zune and then updated to Mango again. I also removed the HTC Connectivity App that was reportedly the culprit although that did not help until I removed Mango and updated it again. Please try that and let us know what happens

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like that unit may have been bad from the start. I've never had any call quality issues even when using it normally (without BT). If you can get an exchange I would go for that first.

Beyond that, maybe something went wrong during the update. If you still have a backup, I would try rolling back to pre-Mango and then try updating again. If that fails then I would probably try a hard reset.

TrophyShelf

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks All

It looks like we'll try taking the battery out and restarting as a first step. And then take it from there. My wife says she doesn't really understand Zune, so the chance of our getting her back to a pre-Mango OS may be slim. I have suggested that we take the phone into the Verizon store where she got it, though it is probably a toss-up whether they will have another Trophy in stock. I found the store employees close to useless.

A footnote: the first time my wife tried to update to Mango it petered out about 3/4ths of the way through. It did work the second time she tried. But perhaps the incomplete attempt corrupted the final update somehow. I will report back if we do get this fixed!

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I use the Motorola h730 and so far it works great. I love the ability to receive and answer text messages via Bluetooth. I have noticed if a call comes in while I am on a call it will sometimes disconnect if I try to switch calls.

TrophyShelf

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Problem seems to be solved - here's how

My wife called up HTC support and got a patient and helpful tech who had her first check on the Motorola device. I paired it to my phone and it worked for me, so the problem wasn't with that. Finally, the solution seemed to be a hard reset, after which it worked. I guess a hard reset now reboots the phone in Mango, at least it appears to not have gone back to 7.0. The main pain is having to reload contacts, photos, games and music, but most of that has now been accomplished.

Case closed. (I can only hope.) Thanks to everyone for their input. I hope this helps future users with similar proplems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss