I think my USB port is messed up

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, I was charging my Titan last night with the HTC charger. The phone fell out of my hands right after I plugged it in. It fell a whopping 3 or 4 inches to the table. I have a gel case on it, so I didn't think much of it. But it fell on the USB plug. And it looked like it was a little loose.

So I take it off and try to reconnect it. But it won't go in. Well, bit easily. I have to maneuver it at an angle for it to go in. But it won't charge.

Fortunately, if I use my Samsung charger it will work. So I could still charge my phone. But that HTC charger is shaped weird.

So I'm wondering if there might be something bent in the port that doesn't let the HTC charger fit right. Even the Samsung charger doesn't slide in easily.

Do you guys think it's something worth sending back in for warranty repair?

I just finished Plants vs Zombies too. They'll probably wipe it clean. :(

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So, I was charging my Titan last night with the HTC charger. The phone fell out of my hands right after I plugged it in. It fell a whopping 3 or 4 inches to the table. I have a gel case on it, so I didn't think much of it. But it fell on the USB plug. And it looked like it was a little loose.

So I take it off and try to reconnect it. But it won't go in. Well, bit easily. I have to maneuver it at an angle for it to go in. But it won't charge.

Fortunately, if I use my Samsung charger it will work. So I could still charge my phone. But that HTC charger is shaped weird.

So I'm wondering if there might be something bent in the port that doesn't let the HTC charger fit right. Even the Samsung charger doesn't slide in easily.

Do you guys think it's something worth sending back in for warranty repair?

I just finished Plants vs Zombies too. They'll probably wipe it clean. :(
Yes those Micro USB ports are very fragile.
I don't know if regular warrenty would cover that but if can still charge the phone it will probably be ok.
I decided to keep my phone because it seems to be be behaving now and ended up getting the two year warranty from Square Trade for the phone just in case two months down the road something happens that beyond the warranty I have some coverage. I dont know what people think about that but that way accidents are covered. If your still in your first 30 days you can look into it if you want. Then a few days later you can put your claim to get it repaired.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I keep reading places that this isn't covered under warranty. Crap!

It looks like 2 pins are really messed up.

Anyone know how much it would cost to fix?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There are other places that can try to fix it like phone doctor etc might not be that expensive! Worth checking out

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, I found a local place that can fix MicroUSB ports. They were closed today, so I wasn't able to get a quote.

But with a very careful eye, steady hand, and some tiny tools I made an attempt to straighten out the 2 bent pins. And I can thankfully say that it looks like it's been a moderate success.

I'm able to sync with my computer again. I could also still charge my phone.

The strange thing though is that it still won't work with the supplied HTC cable since the tip there is tighter or something. But my other micro-USB chargers and cables work fine.

I imagine I'll have to be careful though. Since it was bent already, I don't know how sturdy it is for the future. But this will at least allow me some time to budget for repairs if I need them before WP8 comes out.

mberdych

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
When I was buying my Titan (here in Europe), there was a guy just in the shop giving his Titan for warranty repair. He has a Brodit cradle for the car and putting Titan to that cradle caused the USB port on the phone to damage. Brodit is not an official accessory, but he bought it together with Titan in that shop, so they took it for the repair. Fortunately I have seen that, because I had this cradle on my order as well and the guy in the shop told me: "I guess I won't sell you the cradle considering what you have just seen :)". However, I bought official HTC car cradle and sometime I have a feeling that the USB port won't last long. Looking to the port itself, I think HTC did a really poor job here.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. And the position of the port isn't very good if you're using the phone while it's plugged in.

When typing in portrait mode, you're left hand will be on or around the plug. I would imagine that over time this could slowly loosen it.

IanLorenc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Along the same lines...

This is kind of a similar problem, I wonder if anyone else has experienced it.
My entire USB port internals appear to be bent upwards slightly or at least not at the same angle as the aperture in the case, for the port.
Thus, the cable encounters resistance when it's inserted and when it's removed, it quite often pulls out the little piece of trim around the port.

Ian.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a dream last night that my USB port literally fell out of my phone. Thanks guys. Thanks for making me paranoid!

Dreaming about my phone? This relationship is too intimate.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I would take it to a warranty center (if you're not within 30 days) to get it exchanged. That's me and if you're happy, keep it. I'd be too paranoid something would happen to it.

anonymous3498571

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So it looks like my phone is messed up now. Well, at least the port.

I ended up getting it fixed by a phone repair place since I was 90% sure HTC wouldn't cover it. And I wasn't going to send it in just to have to pay $35 to get it back after thy say it's not covered.

So the phone will charge now. Well, if it's a low power charge. Like from a computer usb. If it's connected to a wall charger it will charge for a few minutes and then freeze. Removing the plug will cause it to restart.

So I got an extra battery and external charger and that appears to be working fine.

The main problem right now is that my PC will not recognize the device. It says there is a malfunction with the device. It will charge from the PC, but I can't sync data.

That also means I can't update. What a bummer.

I can live with this fine until Tango. But then I'll probably switch back to my sturdier Samsung Focus.

Repair place told me that one of the connectors was fried. And I would need a completely new board. HTC says that's a $300 repair. Yikes!

I wonder if they'll get cheaper in a few months. Or maybe I can find a Titan with a broken screen it something for sale cheap in 6 months.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I had a problem with my HTC Surround's USB port. The pins kept getting bent and I keep having to bend it back. I called HTC and they told me USB isn't covered under warranty if it looks like it has been messed around with. They told me I could send it in and they will check it. If it was found to be my fault, they would charge me for repair. If I didn't want it repaired, they would still charge me for shipping it back. Booooooooo! So I ended up buying a Focus from ebay instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)