Should I Go Back to Droid?

corn_chowder

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
With the lack of support for WP7 on Verizon and my reluctance to give up unlimited data, I am starting to lean towards the new droid RAZR MAXX. Quick, someone talk me down! lol

In all seriousness, the lagginess of the OS was what really made me leave it in the first place. Anyone have experience with the RAZRs? It seems most of the lag issues are gone that existed with the original droid-droidX-droid2 etc.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Android will always have lag issues. You'll have some that may say theirs doesn't but I have the epic touch 4g and experienced it without any app downloaded. With Nokia Drive, I have no need for android any more.

If you want to go back, you should. The choice is yours.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 device using Board Express

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling the lagginess issue on Android phones is reduced somewhat on dual-core devices. Having said that, I agree with duvi that "lag" and "Android" will probably always go together to some extent, due to what appears (to me as a non-tech person) to be a poor OS design (and manufacturer overlays). Also, in my own personal experience with an Android smartphone (Droid 2), the lag doesn't become really noticeable and annoying until you've owned and used the phone for a few months, so any lag-related issues probably haven't shown up yet for users on the Droid RAZR.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm somewhat in the same boat, and my Trophy is dying (no more accelerometer) so I stopped at the VZW store the other day. All the Android devices still lagged IMO. The RAZR was a bit better than the rest however. FWIW.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy S2, and its blazing fast. No lag at all. Its come a long.way since the.early days. Just something to hold me over until the Nokia L900.

My friend has a Razr. He says its better than my GS2. I guess it depends on how much you put on the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
In all seriousness, the lagginess of the OS was what really made me leave it in the first place. Anyone have experience with the RAZRs? It seems most of the lag issues are gone that existed with the original droid-droidX-droid2 etc.

Since the Android OS is truly open, certain companies don't optimize the software to where it needs to be. Android can be really smooth or just terrible. With that said the devices I would recommend is the GSII or Galaxy Nexus. Those are the smoothest devices with the best experiences imo. Of course you could go with Motorola again. But you only have yourself to blame when the device slows and lags (Unless your into rooting and ROMs). But that's a whole different subject.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The lag on newer devices such as the Razr and the Galaxy Nexus is reduced greatly compared to older android phones, but they still aren't as fluid as WP. Go to the store and play with them. I was impressed with the Galaxy Nexus.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I just went back but for entirely different reasons. I had the Trophy for many months and loved it and the OS. My eyes just couldn't see the small font on most of the Trophy screens anymore. I went to the Motorola Bionic for larger screen; larger fonts and supposedly faster processing. The screen is larger, a good point, the font is larger, a good point. Faster is very subjective. I find that it's not that much faster than my Trophy and the Bionic is 4G.

What really pisses me off is the Big Red attitude. It starts at the top and goes down to the greeter at the corporate stores. If Big Red introduces a larger screen WP7 phone in the next few months; I'll go back immediately. I have two upgrades ready to go.:mad:

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I was on a flight yesterday, seated next to a guy who was stuck on 1x with brand new HTC Rezound. He pulled up forum thread (on laptop) and found 50+ other posts about the same. All were on Verizon, Android, likely LTE (he was LTE, but getting nothing, and was having prolonged problems with a useless phone).

Suggest googling "Verizon stuck on 1x" to learn more before making your choice. I searched & saw manyhits...did not read them, but they are there.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the samsung galaxy nexus and a trophy and the nexus is plenty smooth. Unless verizon gets a lte wp with a larger screen then the trophy I will stick with verizon. The razr is nice just feels awkward in hand with its width. I would go play with one and see if you like it or not.

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
One reason Android will always lag somewhat is the much praised true multitasking it has. Dual core only helps with the processing speed of things. But it doesn't help when you have a few widgets and maybe an app or two running in the background and some of them decide to write some data to the file system while your foreground app is reading or writing something. The filesystem at that point is the bottle neck, not the CPU (which hardly is one due to how fast they are).

This explains the uneven performance issues of android. Sometimes its fast, then suddenly it will hiccup. An app that launched fast will launch slower. That won't go away however many cores you put. It's not the bottle neck in this scenario. It is random due to what is running at that point and how much activity its doing on the filesystem. SD cards make it worse since they are much slower than internal memory if it was nand.

Neither WP7 nor iOS do true multitasking and hence why they don't have this to worry about. Design decisions geared towards user experience pay off.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 800 using Board Express

Last edited:

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't necessarily the lag on my droid x that bothered me, it was the random reboots and weird little bugs. Like when I would be listening to a podcast and my music app would all of the sudden start on its own blaringly loud. Or if I was trying to use navigation to get somewhere and the phone would just decide to reboot on its own. I would either get lost or have to pull over and wait 5 mins while my phone booted up.

Don't get me wrong, I love android and may go back someday, but for now WP is just more reliable even if it doesn't have the same amount if apps.

If I were getting an android phone on Verizon right now I would look hard at the Rezound. Awesome screen, good feel in the hand, extremely nice camera, and soon to get ICS.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't necessarily the lag on my droid x that bothered me, it was the random reboots and weird little bugs. Like when I would be listening to a podcast and my music app would all of the sudden start on its own blaringly loud. Or if I was trying to use navigation to get somewhere and the phone would just decide to reboot on its own. I would either get lost or have to pull over and wait 5 mins while my phone booted up.

Don't get me wrong, I love android and may go back someday, but for now WP is just more reliable even if it doesn't have the same amount if apps.

If I were getting an android phone on Verizon right now I would look hard at the Rezound. Awesome screen, good feel in the hand, extremely nice camera, and soon to get ICS.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

I had the rezound and yes its a nice device but the battery life is horrible sometimes not even 4 hours of use. With the trophy I loose some features but gain what I need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720