How to turn off 3G after latest update?

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a new change to the settings of my Titan. Note that my phone is in Dutch, so my English translation might not be 100% correct.

In the past, I could go to settings\mobile network and turn 'Data connection' and '3G' on and off. After the latest update, I can only turn 'Data connection' on and off and there is a list called 'Highest connection speed' where I can either choose 'E' or '3G'.

As I have a maximum amount of data I may consume per month, I would like to be able to turn 3G off again... but how?!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, data requires 3G so turning off data is the same as turning off 3G. However, even with data off you should still be able to make/receive phone calls and text messages.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that too XBWillem, it doesn't affect me as I have unlimited data, but it's very strange why they done away with the 3G on and Off settings.

I guess turning off data is the equivalent maybe?

I wonder why they changed it ?

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The strange thing id that in the upper left corner my 3G signal strength is displayed, where it wouldn't in the past. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Turning off the 3G never turned off data to begin with. It did however limit your data connection to EDGE. So, to do the same with the new update, you tap where it says 3G and upon the new menu select E. To turn data off completely, you should just press the switch for data till it's off.

I know this.

But when turning off data connection, and having 3G on, does my phone use data or not? I know it SHOULD NOT, but the 3G signal strength is displayed in the upper left corner. That makes me doubt.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I turned Wifi off (at home currently), had 3G on and data off, I did see the 3G next to my signal strength bar... and it didn't load a web page. So I guess the phone just lets you know 3G is selected as fastest data.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss