Debrand and unlock your Samsung Focus S to receive updates immediately

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I did the first method in this thread. It didnt seem to work and I lost all data connection. Zune showed no updates available. I then did the method quoted above. It worked well, but my data connection is still broken. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Nevermind....

I did the Internet Connection Sharing + Interop Unlock steps from XDA
Installed Wireless Manager and set to auto

Fixed.

mistato

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I was searching for a way to debrand my AT&T Samsung Focus S to receive the latest update and was at first surprised to find out that none of the registry editors work and secondly, that I could not find a simple way how to unbrand it.

So here is a simple way for anybody who was looking for the same thing.

Please note that this will unlock and debrand your phone (and I’ve also thrown in the 3G toggle tweak) but after you update to 7.10.8107.79 through Zune, you will no longer be able to use the ProvXML method of deploying registry settings (that we are using here).

All credit goes to Deathbyvegemite who told me what to do and Jaxbot and his WindowBreak Project which helped me figure out how to do it. :) This is really just a simple modification of his work, so I have to thank him and all the other people that have worked on this.

Okay, so to do this, please follow these steps:

1) Open your mobile browser and go to: http://www.kremese.sk/debrand_focus_s.zip
2) The file will be opened. Follow the instructions and tap on “debrandfocuss.xml”
3) Press Start
4) Navigate to Phone
5) Dial ##634#
6) Type *#9908#
7) Select DebrandFocusS
8) Press Save and Reboot

After that, connect to Zune and you will receive the 8107 update.
This worked for me!! I posted it to the AT&T community forum, but it was removed within the first 15 minutes of posting. Thanks!!:D

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just used the manual method to get 8107 on my Focus Flash. Worked great, after failing a couple times due to me placing the .cab files in the wrong place....noob mistake.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So upon going to the link on my Focus S and tapping on debrandfocuss.xml it only opens a blank browser window with debrandfocuss.xml in the url bar. It doesn't give me any options to do anything else. Any suggestions?

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You have to keep going per the instructions. Hit the Windows key, go into the dialer, key in the Diagnosis numbers, etc.

Step 2 will bring you to a white screen...that's ok...keep going :)

h3yjosh

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
How can I tell if this worked? I followed the instructions and got to to the part where you click save while selecting DebrandFocusS. It had 1 line of words and didn't say anything after waiting for a while. Should it list that it was installed? I restarted my phone and haven't noticed anything different. I'm on at&t and don't have a different carrier sim to try.

boo4ul

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
What does de-branding my samsung focus S do?

Will AT&T be able to track my phone down if I use the samsung focus S without data plan and automatically put in with the appropriate data plan needed?

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok I am looking to do this, but I'm worried doing so will prevent me from getting the tango or "apallo" updates if I do this. Is that a possibility? If so there's no way I'm doing this...

dejavu157

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
how do i know if it all updated correctly? I am on the 8107 but i still get the ATT logo when i start up phone. i thought debranding gets rid of that, and on my lockscreen it still shows voicemail notification when i dont have any voice mail in my mailbox

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
It will still show the AT&T logo because that is a boot animation. Not a branding thing.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Last edited:

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It will also get rid of automatic firmware/OS update notifications and eliminate the AT&T Featured Apps in the Marketplace :p

But seriously, there aren't really any other "benefits."

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
If we do this, how to choose the non k2 (Samsung specific) one? Because I still want to use the XML trick... Also does this prevent future updates?

danmihal

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Debranding SGH-I917

Is there any debranding available where this phone can be used with at&t $10 unlimited data plan? Or it will be detected and pushed to the smartphone data plan? Any past experience with this phone and this route?

ShadowXOR

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, this worked great on my i917 I'm using on T-Mobile but was AT&T branded. As soon as I ran this and followed the steps I was able to update completely to the latest release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb