Omnia 7 and WP8

anon(5327487)

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I've read that first-gen windows phones may not be compatible with WP8... anyone more knowledgeable on the matter? If this is true I will be pretty disappointed; other than loving the look of WP7 and the Omnia 7 in particular, my decision to become an early adopter was largely based upon Microsoft's insistence that all windows phones would receive future updates.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
There are many threads about this matter. MS has been railing against the fragmentation of Android since day one, to do it themselves now would be unimaginable. What they need to do is release an official statement addressing the matter once and for all. It's hurting already dismal sales of the current devices.

perbear

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I've read that first-gen windows phones may not be compatible with WP8... anyone more knowledgeable on the matter? If this is true I will be pretty disappointed; other than loving the look of WP7 and the Omnia 7 in particular, my decision to become an early adopter was largely based upon Microsoft's insistence that all windows phones would receive future updates.
I hope so too. We have to wait until the actual release or public beta of WP8 until we know for certain. I speculate that first and second generation phones (like Omnia 7 and Lumia 800) will get the full WP8 as would those phones that come out of the box with WP8 but in some instances certain features would not work fully on older phones. Consider the icons of installed devices and printers in Windows 7. Older printers for example work without a problem but the extra information (the tuner out, replacement and such information that the manufacturer wish to be displayed) will only be displayed by a modern unit or device. Maybe I am wrong but I hope this will be the case WHEN WP will be updated.

mycomplex

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I hope so too. We have to wait until the actual release or public beta of WP8 until we know for certain. I speculate that first and second generation phones (like Omnia 7 and Lumia 800) will get the full WP8 as would those phones that come out of the box with WP8 but in some instances certain features would not work fully on older phones. Consider the icons of installed devices and printers in Windows 7. Older printers for example work without a problem but the extra information (the tuner out, replacement and such information that the manufacturer wish to be displayed) will only be displayed by a modern unit or device. Maybe I am wrong but I hope this will be the case WHEN WP will be updated.
omnia 7 isn't a second generation phone --"

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Why trouble yourself over this, as there is absolutely nothing you can due to change it if true (and I don't believe it is). And interesting that every day hundreds of thousands of people activate Android phones not knowing if they will ever see any kind of update.

Me, I am getting a N900 as soon as they will let me. November is a long way off.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

perbear

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Myplex, I never claimed that that Omnia 7 was a 2nd generation phone. It was Omina 7 is 1st generation, Lumia 800 is 2nd (original text reads:"I speculate that first and second generation phones (like Omnia 7 and Lumia 800)"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs