word of advice, don't drop this thing

Oronolek

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
So after a week of having this phone, i dropped it while pulling it out of my pocket... so i guess about a 3 foot drop... the screen didn't stand a chance on concrete. Didn't think the screen was THIS fragile, as i've dropped my galaxy note in literally the exact same spot with the same circumstances and all i got was a dead pixel on that one.

Funny thing is i'm usually not clumbsy with my phones, yet i dropped both of my favorite phones that i've ever had lol.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
That looks very painfull :(

Welps... this is something we're going to have to deal with as phones become more screen and less bezel.

Oronolek

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
It hit perfectly flat on it's face, bounced once and hit flat on the face again.

Another reason to try and protect the screen is, they are extremely hard to source out right now. I'm having the hardest time finding a screen replacement. Everybody says they're sold out or haven't even seen the replacement.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That looks very painfull :(

Welps... this is something we're going to have to deal with as phones become more screen and less bezel.

Yup, they keep making them thinner and more fragile. I really don't like the bulk that otterbox cases adds to a phone, but I've been using otterbox since my Treo Pro.

I work construction, and I have seen guys get a brand new super thin phone. They pull it out of their front pocket at lunch and their screen is cracked. They don't build them like they use too.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thats ridiculous the screen should be stronger than that I would bring it into Nokia and let them know. They might be kind enough to replace it for you.

Oronolek

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Thats ridiculous the screen should be stronger than that I would bring it into Nokia and let them know. They might be kind enough to replace it for you.

There are no Nokia centres here (Toronto, Canada)

I called them, they said call our authorized repair centre.

I called them, they said they don't service Nokia's that aren't sold through a carrier here.

So I'm going to call them again, but it looks like nobody is gonna help me on this one.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
There are no Nokia centres here (Toronto, Canada)

I called them, they said call our authorized repair centre.

I called them, they said they don't service Nokia's that aren't sold through a carrier here.

So I'm going to call them again, but it looks like nobody is gonna help me on this one.

Where did you buy your Nokia from Clove.uk? Also there should be warranty on that device I would e-mail Nokia customer care and see what they have to say.

Lumia 800 should NOT break after dropping it isn't one of the key selling points for this phone is the build quality. I would even tweet Nokia is pretty good at taking care of their customers

Oronolek

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Where did you buy your Nokia from Clove.uk? Also there should be warranty on that device I would e-mail Nokia customer care and see what they have to say.

Lumia 800 should NOT break after dropping it isn't one of the key selling points for this phone is the build quality. I would even tweet Nokia is pretty good at taking care of their customers

I bought it from an independent seller, the phone is from HK.

I tweeted Nokia, they gave me 2 numbers to call, both of which said they can't help me at all. I just got off the phone with Nokia for the 3rd time, they told me they don't sell parts for their phones :dry so they can't help me.

The Nokia forums are the next people to bug about this. One things for sure, I will NEVER buy another Nokia phone after all of this.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
And that, ladies and gents, is the problem with curved glass. Looks lovely, but is inherently weaker if you happen to catch it on a curved edge even if it is made of Gorilla Glass.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
AlkEcuYCMAIaZae.jpg:large

Indeed, look what one is the worst for wear out of this lot. :dry

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Its all about luck (or bad luck) of the fall.

Im sure for every 3 foot drop story, you'll hear "i ran over my phone with my car and screen is still good" story.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully they help, but I'm not sure it is fair to say that it should not break. It is glass. Yes gorilla glass is stronger, but glad is still breakable. I don't think broken glass is any indicator of overall build quality.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Still think the best approach is in the title of the thread, just don't drop it.

I know plenty of people who routinely drop their phones or toss them down on tables and stuff, makes me cringe just thinking about it. At least one of them knows he's crap at looking after stuff though, so he's rocking some ?30 handset just in case.

None of that helps the OP, but I thought I'd share anyway. Sorry to hear about your phone, man.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm lucky. While opening my car door, I dropped my phone on the corner edge and only scuffed up the plastic. Pissed that it's scratched, but happy that the glass didn't shatter to pieces.

L

lumic

While I am sure that the Lumia 800 shatters easier, I highly doubt that you're making a fair comparison with the Note. If both were face-down drops, it's obvious that the drop will take a larger toll on the bulging screen of the 800.

If I drop my phone and its screen cracks, it means I made a bad drop. My Omnia has pummeled to the ground many times, I'm not cursing at Samsung for my own clumsiness.

Also, why are you blaming this on Nokia? None of these companies ever help you out if you grey import. Didn't you know the risks of buying through unofficial channels?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb