Replacing a Lumia 800/N9 USB door

mdkdue

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Has anybody here attempted to replace the USB (flip) door on a Lumia 800 or N9?

I need to change mine. Looking at the service manual it says that you just need to open it fully then pull it up and away from the phone. The thing is, i am hesitant to do this as it seems it requires quite alot of force and i am worried that i may end up breaking something deeper inside the phone.

If anyone has any experience of this or maybe a link to a video showing it being done i would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks for reading.

M

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiousity. How much did You have to pay for a replacement?

Mine isn't broken, but I fear to do so on occasion when I disconnect it from the charger.

I would try, gently, to do as described. Or look for the website that completely dismantled a Lumia, maybe they also took off the charging port flap.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

mdkdue

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiousity. How much did You have to pay for a replacement?

Mine isn't broken, but I fear to do so on occasion when I disconnect it from the charger.

I would try, gently, to do as described. Or look for the website that completely dismantled a Lumia, maybe they also took off the charging port flap.

I paid ?4.99 on ebay...pretty steep i think for a small piece of plastic!

Yeah i had a gentle go, but it didnt seem to want to budge at all.

Regards

mdkdue

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I found that video! Was waiting for him to remove the door then it never happened :-(
Oh well, I have read that you should use pliers to remove it, and once pulled out it cannot be replaced, only with a new one. Will give it a go I guess!

mdkdue

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone is interested, i did this yesterday and it was as simple as anything. I opened the flap fully, then just used pliers to pull it off, needed a bit of force but it came off no problem. The new one just snapped straight into place, job done!

Regards

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So, how easy is the flap to replace? Should I take it to the Carphone Warehouse, where I got it? It's a terrible design, who thought that a flap would be a good idea covering the charging port on a smartphone? Mine's lasted 8 months. Still a fantastic phone in every other respect!

MIZ SCANDALOUS

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
i wouldnt dare pay that much found one for ?2.95 on ebay but i have absolutely no idea on how to fix it, has someone got a step by step guide to help maybe? :wink:

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
After vowing I wouldn't have this problem, I accidentally bent my 800 USB door last night.it still fits on fine but cosmetically doesn't look great. I guess I'm going to have to send off for several replacement doors from the web...

It struck me that a nice way round this problem would be for a custom Nokia 800 case that is like the silicone case that comes with the Lumia 800, but rather than having a hole for the door just has a hole for the micro USB port and a separate hole for the earphone jack. That way the door could just be removed and no longer be an annoyance when charging.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a company to make a custom shaped case?

smith_david1

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
in the video theres a little metal bar that pivots the cover door - I swear on my phone theres also a screw that holds it down. Also its ridiculously annoying that this has broken without any warning as I work in a dusty enviroment - thus now am uncontactable as i fear for dust ruining the port :unhappysweat:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett