Quick Straw Poll: To case or not to case

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I took the plunge and got the Lumia 800 (cyan) on Monday of this week and I have to say I am mighty impressed; I could go on about the OS till the cows come home but that would be for a different thread. So I unpacked everything and gazed upon the design as I'm sure most new owners of this model have. I then got all protective and put the supplied skin on the phone (nice touch Nokia) before I left the house. It doesn't add much bulk and fits extremely snuggly. Something has been nagging me though. It spoils the lines of the phone, you lose the feeling of the curved glass under your thumb and it just doesn't seem like the phone is the same one that winked at you in the shop. So today I took the skin off to see if I was imagining all this. I don't think I was. The phone it looks so much better without the skin on. I'm still feeling very protective though. It's a toss up between the looks and the safety against drops and knocks but it does seem a crime to cover up such a lovely piece of kit. So I was wondering, who uses the skin and who goes au naturel with their Lumia?

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm all natural. I tried the skin. While it is good it does what you say - kind of destroy the nice quality touch of the body and the curved glass gets kind of hidden. It's good to have it though if you need protection for some reason at some point.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I currently use my old BB leather case with my Focus. Works perfect. When I finally get the 800 I plan on using the same or something similar.

pwaikon

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Good question, I'm totally torn about this lol. I have put the skin on and taken it off quite many times now. What I can say is I like the naked feel better, the phone feels thinner and smoother in the hand and I like the color of the phone better (case's color is a bit darker shade of cyan). Also when the case is on, it annoys me that I can feel the seams of the case when I'm holding the phone. To me the only positive aspects of the case are that it (obviosly) protects the phone and the camera lens stays scratch and smudge free :D

It's quite funny that Nokia talks so highly about the beautiful desing and polycarbonate shell and then they give you a plastic case to cover it all completely :lol:

I vote for Not To Case

EDIT: oh yes, I forgot to mention that I DO have a protection for my Lumia when I'm carrying it around with me. I use a Golla Smart Bag and Dicota L?v Sleeve (blue color matches the cyan color perfectly)

Last edited:

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I would be much happier without a case if they made the camera strip less scratch prone.

As it is, I've always thought this was the paradox of cell phone styling. You see a beautifully designed piece like the iphone 4, or lumia 800, but most people are going to cover it up with a case anyway, so why bother? Maybe all these android slabs of plastic with no soul have the right idea.

As for me, I have that airflow case. It may have zero airflow functionality, but it does protect the back of the phone, which is my main concern. It looks much better than the included case in my opinion. Props to Nokia for including the case however.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
well for me i felt that it was kind of hard/stiff without the case and with it on it was softer/more what im used to (having a case on my android). But its nice that nokia brings it for free those normally costs like 10-20 €..

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm a half and half guy at night at home and out running around I use my 800 naked. But when I go to work the skin goes on and stays on. I just can't afford to take the chance

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The phone feels and looks great without the skin, but I prefer to be safe and use the skin. Like Dave, I don't want to take a chance with it.

Maseroche

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I prefer it without the case but I always end up with the case on. I also have a different N9 case from Nokia accessories that fits perfectly.

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I use the case most of the time, but every once in a while I will take it off and use it bare for a few days just to admire its beauty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786