Extremely bad battery life

macbookboy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the phone but the batery life is so so bad. I have taken it off charge an hour ago and it has lost 20% in 1 HOUR! surely this is unusual? I have followed tips on how to save battery life such as turning off background tasks, dark theme etc. but to no avail. i also reset the phone and it seems its still dreadful. Any suggestions?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yea...the Lumia 710 battery life is terrible. Seems to be a common problem with Lumia devices, and supposedly the recent update for the 800 fixed the battery issues, so hopefully the update that was just pushed (that we are waiting on tmobile for) will fix things since they are the same numbered update.

Also, the 710 has a smaller battery than other Windows Phones...

mmaestro

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
That does seem particularly low, though, unless you're playing games or doing something particularly hard on the phone. I'm getting 13 hours or so on a charge, including what I'd consider normal use (maximum background tasks, multiple push accounts, phone calls, social, and a bit of gaming throughout the day) which coming from Android where the same use would net me less than 6 hours on a charge is outstanding. Have you done a full power cycle of the battery to make sure it's reading correctly?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
That does seem particularly low, though, unless you're playing games or doing something particularly hard on the phone. I'm getting 13 hours or so on a charge, including what I'd consider normal use (maximum background tasks, multiple push accounts, phone calls, social, and a bit of gaming throughout the day) which coming from Android where the same use would net me less than 6 hours on a charge is outstanding. Have you done a full power cycle of the battery to make sure it's reading correctly?

Good point that I forgot to point out; if you USE the phone it will die fast. If you've spent 1 hour browsing the web, playing games, scanning barcodes or using bing music, etc, then this is normal. If this is drain time from being idle then you have some kind of crazy background task or you need to do a power cycle.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
people from another forum said their phones last for 2 days
don't know maybe you have problem with your phone

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Just a question but are you using any type of case on the device that could be pressing on tue camera button causing the phone to not go to sleep?

orOrion

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I used to have really bad battery life like that. When I first got the phone I was getting about 8 hours a charge. I then moved my gmail account from push to every 30 min and turned off syncing in the Apps Highlight app and it increased my battery life to about 10-11 hours.

Then the last 2 days I have had really good battery life and I have no idea what changed since don't think I changed anything on Sunday. Yesterday when I went to bed after 16.5 hours I was at 56% remaining. Then today it has been on for 15 hours and it is at 64% remaining. So it went from 10 hours a charge to lasting over 16 hours with half the battery gone and I have no idea why.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that before with both my HD7 and Lumia 710. Trick I found is too restart the phone. I guess something is eating away at the battery, restarting seems to solve it. Could be a bug?

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
i have my 710 since 23rd march, as from yesterday my battery is way better, i took it off the charger 7:15 am and it lasted until at least 10:30pm, the auto battery economy mode was already acting so i plugged it, since i was going to sleep anyway...

i used 3g/wifi all day long (off course, mostly wifi)...

i have no background apps, i use im+ on push mode and emails 15min one, 1hour the other.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I found this odd - on full charge the Nokia Diagnostic tool says that my battery's full capacity is ~1375mAh. Looks like I have a little extra juice in my battery. :)

For whatever reason I think the App Highlights live tile was really killing the battery. Ever since I unpinned it the battery life has improved.

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Same here, It will affect something if uninstall it?

I found this odd - on full charge the Nokia Diagnostic tool says that my battery's full capacity is ~1375mAh. Looks like I have a little extra juice in my battery. :)

For whatever reason I think the App Highlights live tile was really killing the battery. Ever since I unpinned it the battery life has improved.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I used to have really bad battery life like that. When I first got the phone I was getting about 8 hours a charge. I then moved my gmail account from push to every 30 min and turned off syncing in the Apps Highlight app and it increased my battery life to about 10-11 hours.

Then the last 2 days I have had really good battery life and I have no idea what changed since don't think I changed anything on Sunday. Yesterday when I went to bed after 16.5 hours I was at 56% remaining. Then today it has been on for 15 hours and it is at 64% remaining. So it went from 10 hours a charge to lasting over 16 hours with half the battery gone and I have no idea why.
Interesting, I did the same to my Gmail accounts as well, and I've been averaging about 17 each day with another 4 hrs left. I still play music, browse, have some background agents running, etc.

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
im testing today my phone connected to MESSENGER, as far as i can see, it is a **** of a battery hunger app...

i guess if it works on "push" mode?

Captain Primus

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine lasts about a day and a half. When i switch off 3G it seems to have a massive impact on battery life - making it last 2 days. Seems like a pretty standard battery life for a smartphone to me.

andz8

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
6752410321_5b4faa95df.jpg
-photo from xda forums.

I recently bought a Nokia BP-4L battery from Expansys, after hearing that it was able to squeeze into position with some tweaking. I can confirm it does work, but when I look at the Nokia diagnostics tool, it only shows the full capacity charge to be 1331mAh, when the BP-4L should be a 1500mAh. Only genuine batteries are sold by Expansys, so i'm a little confused as to why it doesn't show a bigger capacity.

But, as for working... it works. Hopefully, after a week or 2, I should see the capacity increase.

RockStarNinja

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 710 for about a month now and I've found that my battery life is getting better as time goes on. When I first got it after charging and putting it on battery saver mode I got about two and a half days of use out of it, but the lately I'm getting almost 4 days out of a single charge. . .

With that said, I also keep just about everything turned off when I don't need to use it. I only use my 3G when it's ABSOLUTELY necessary, like to view my visual voicemail. And since I can't be on my phone at work other than to text anyway I don't turn my WiFi on either unless I'm on my lunch. I do use it when I going to work and going home (45min to 1 hr each way) to listen to music and play games. I've found it also helps to keep the theme on a dark setting and the brightness on low, as well as having the screen time out set to the shortest time (30 seconds). I also keep all background tasks, location searching, and feedback shut off.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends on a lot of factors of course, but I'm making it through 12 - 18 hours with moderate usage, a full day easily, with lighter usage. It's always going to be lower in the beginning due to the battery not being conditioned/cycled properly, and also due to the user playing with the device a lot more, as a novelty rather than the device seeing normal use.

I just got 124 hours on my TP2 before it conked out, with light use (~1 hour) though, to put it into perspective lol. That's over 5 days haha, WinMo ftw. But 12 hours+ is generally enough for me with moderate use, and 1 - 2 days standby is fantastic considering I have BBC News app, Facebook push, Weather Channel app, 3 UK apps etc all updating in the background, and 4 email accounts being checked every 30 minutes to 1 hour. WinMo on the other hand, only had the email.

Oh, and my network is 3G only, so no option to fallback to 2G, and also a weak signal in a lot of places (the beauty of a young 1800Mhz only network lol).

:D

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image
-photo from xda forums.

I recently bought a Nokia BP-4L battery from Expansys, after hearing that it was able to squeeze into position with some tweaking. I can confirm it does work, but when I look at the Nokia diagnostics tool, it only shows the full capacity charge to be 1331mAh, when the BP-4L should be a 1500mAh. Only genuine batteries are sold by Expansys, so i'm a little confused as to why it doesn't show a bigger capacity.

But, as for working... it works. Hopefully, after a week or 2, I should see the capacity increase.

Any update if your capacity increased? I purchased a Mugen Power battery listed at 1800mAh and it too only lists as around 1350mAh in the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs